Personal Trainer-- Is it worth it?

Options
jgaht
jgaht Posts: 47 Member
Hi all,

Like a lot of people on this site, my main work-out consists of cardio exercise. I'm definitely interested in strength training and other forms of exercise, but am not sure how to approach them. I also have some health considerations (e.g., bad knees, syncape). I am considering using a personal trainer to get myself started. I am a graduate student and can access one at a reduced fee.

Two questions.

1) Is it worth the price?
2) How many sessions should I plan on to get myself started?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I work with a personal trainer so I may be biased ;)
    From my experience, I never work as hard as I do when she is pushing me.
    With that said I also believe you can see great results without. I also work out at home with DVDs from Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels and the Insanity workouts.
    BUT sometimes you just need a push and someone watching you to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly etc.

I know that probably TOTALLY didn't answer your question! LOL But I do think personal trainers are worth the money - just do your research and make sure you find someone that is a good fit for you =)

All the best.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is totally worth the cost! A personal trainer can help balance your nutrition needs with your exercise needs. A trainer can customize a program taking in to consideration your time constraints as a student plus your different health issues. I say if you can get a personal trainer at a reduced rate, go for it!
  • loseitwisely
    Options
    Do you have a gym membership? If you do, I would suggest just joining a class or two. The gym I go to has a few strength training classes that I find very beneficial and the instructors are there to help you, push you, and make sure you are doing things correctly.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs without any guidance from anyone but myself.

Nuff said.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 lbs without any guidance from anyone but myself.

Nuff said.

Losing weight and getting fit are two totally different things. I could have just lost weight on my own. My trainer has pushed me physically in ways I would have never, and still don't push myself. I am in WAY better condition than I've been in years. She has been able to find my weak areas and ensure that I do additional exercises that work those areas. She has also become a great friend - we hike, climb, water ski and snow ski together! :)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'd like to think I'm fit. I went from huffing and puffing on the treadmill to banging out sprints like they were no big deal. I can move several tons in the weight room in a matter of minutes. Nobody helped me do that but myself.
  • jgaht
    jgaht Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback! Dr. BorkBork, I realize that people CAN do it all by themselves. I think there are ample examples of that throughout this website. However, I'm willing to pay some money to help me get there faster and easier (in a way). I just wanted to check and make sure I would get my money's worth. Based on people who have had a personal trainer, it appears that I will.

I'm going on vacay for a couple of weeks, but when I get back into town I think I'm gonna try out a trainer for a couple of sessions at least.

Thanks again!
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    I had a great experience working with a personal trainer. She was fantastic and worth the cost. I can't afford her right now, but if I had the cash, I'd got back in a heart beat.