Not hungry anymore?

Options
I used to be hungry all the time and now it feels like I could go all day without eating (don't worry I still eat haha!) but I don't know whats going on and if it could be harmful.

Replies

• summerlover8100
    Options
    This may mean that you have done too much dieting and restricting to the point where your metabolism has slowed down. You may need to eat small meals or small snacks like fruits and vegetables in order to speed up your metabolism again.

This actually happened to me during the winter when I started to diet in order to prepare for warmer weather. Eventually as I started eating more later on in the following weeks, I naturally got hungrier

hope this helps!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Very interested in what people have to say about this. I have not been hungry all week and have had to force myself to eat something. Luckily I go to the Dr. next week for a physical, so I am going to talk to her about it.
  • TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    I use to feel that way for a while..i'm getting back to were my appeite is comen back...i have read that exercise can produce a hormone that can cause u not to be hungry..its a sign of over exercise..and some others u can google it
  • jhoffman27
    jhoffman27 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    This may mean that you have done too much dieting and restricting to the point where your metabolism has slowed down. You may need to eat small meals or small snacks like fruits and vegetables in order to speed up your metabolism again.

This actually happened to me during the winter when I started to diet in order to prepare for warmer weather. Eventually as I started eating more later on in the following weeks, I naturally got hungrier

hope this helps!
    So should I up my calories or just eat smaller meals more often?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    this may mean that you have done too much dieting and restricting to the point where your metabolism has slowed down. You may need to eat small meals or small snacks like fruits and vegetables in order to speed up your metabolism again

this actually happened to me during the winter when I started to diet in order to prepare for warmer weather. eventually as I started eating more later on in the following weeks, I naturally got hungrier

hope this helps!

This. If you are eating too little and metabolism slows, it effects the hormones that regulate appetite. Slow metabolism = no appetite.

Might help to read these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

hope this helps!

Looking at your diary, I'm wondering why your goal is manually set to 1100? If you're very petite, this MAY be ok, but is likely too low.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I excercise 7 days a week, some days I workout twice a day and I follow a 1000 per day diet. I have at least one cheat day a week to "trick" my body. My cheating means that I add an extra 300-400 calories over my daily limit. It has helped for me and I always seem to have that weight loss the next day. Good luck!!
  • jhoffman27
    Options

hope this helps!

Looking at your diary, I'm wondering why your goal is manually set to 1100? If you're very petite, this MAY be ok, but is likely too low.
    My doctor gave me a plan before I began this site and she said it was okay for me to consume 1,100 calories per day.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

hope this helps!

My doctor gave me a plan before I began this site and she said it was okay for me to consume 1,100 calories per day.

If you want to share, what is your height, weight, activity level, exercise, any medical conditions? 1100 is pretty low, especially if you do ANY exercise.

I'm not discounting what your doc said, but most GPs do not have much nutrition education and may not know how to determine an appropriate cal level.
  • jhoffman27
    Options

hope this helps!

If you want to share, what is your height, weight, activity level, exercise, any medical conditions? 1100 is pretty low, especially if you do ANY exercise.

I'm not discounting what your doc said, but most GPs do not have much nutrition education and may not know how to determine an appropriate cal level.
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 150
    Sedentary
    I run or play WiiFit but I always eat my calories back.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    This is just my opninion and probably is not right anyway.

I am the same way. But, I think that, for me, since using this site, I actually have learned to listen to my body. I've gotten used to what hunger actually feels like instead of before, just stuffing my fat face all the time. Plus, now that I am drinking more water, I really am not hungry as much.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 150
    Sedentary
    I run or play WiiFit but I always eat my calories back.

Ok, so you're looking to lose about 20 lbs more. With that info, your BMR is about 1450. That's what you burn just being alive, as if in a coma. With a sedentary activity level, your maintenance cals (what you would eat to maintain your current weight) are around 1730 - that's without any purposeful exercise.

So, at 1100 you have a deficit of about 630. That is way too high for what you have to lose at this point. I would highly recommend increasing your cal goal. To make it simple, you can just go in and have MFP recalculate your goals for you using the guided goals, and choose the 1/2 lb per week goal. That should give you around 1480 cals per day (a deficit of 250). Or you could manually set it to 1400-1450. It is not a good idea to eat well below your BMR on a regular basis. It will slow your metabolism, and could be the reason for lack of appetite.

The body prefers to have a cushion of fat, especially for women, so when you get near a healthy BMI, you need to coax that last bit of fat off. The way to do that is to make sure the body KNOWS there will be enough fuel coming in, so that it is comfortable accessing the small amount of fat stores you have. So you need a conservative deficit.

You may want to slowly increase your cals, adding 100 each day for a week until you get up to that level.

You can read a little more detail here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/231636-the-eating-when-you-re-not-hungry-dilemma
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I don't get hungry much anymore unless I eat something that spikes my blood glucose, regardless of what else I'm eating or doing, how much energy I have, or how quickly I'm losing. So long as I stick to low glycemic index carbs and avoid added sugar and overly processed grain products, I don't get hungry - at least not like the old days. I don't let myself get thirsty anymore either, and between that and a much better regulated blood glucose, my body is no longer experiencing two of the stronger signals that it used to interpret as hunger. Maybe the recognition of the true signals that our bodies are in need of nourishment is something else we have to re-learn as part of the journey we're all on.