Brainstorming: Spring Roll!

tacey21
tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
edited September 27 in Recipes
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/vietnamese-fresh-spring-rolls/Detail.aspx

I LOVE spring rolls... but the noodles make up the bulk of it...and I dont really like noodles :grumble:

I'm wondering if anyone would have some creative brainstorming ideas to still fill out the spring rolls with something fresh BESIDES a ton of noodles :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    have you thought of just finely choppin up carrots and lettuce?
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    I did a quick search

1 large carrot, julienned
    1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
    1 can water chestnuts, diced
    2 scallions, finely chopped
    pinch of red chili flakes
    1/2 tsp each- minced garlic, ginger, lemon grass (I used a bottled paste of each of these, otherwise, sauté these together until garlic is cooked), sesame oil
    baked tofu, cut into thin strips
    8 x 8 spring roll wrappers
    sesame oil, for brushing
  • edyarn
    edyarn Posts: 12
    I love spring rolls, especially the fresh Thai version. This link isn't exactly how I like them, but it'll get you started:

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thairecipesstepbystep/ss/thaifreshrolls.htm

I'd also add fresh lettuce leaves and mint to the wraps. It's yummy!
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    bean sprouts work really well and have a similar noodl-ish consistency that will fill the roll up
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Cabbage! And mint (but chop it really thin!)
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    We do bean spouts and the following veggies slivered: Carrots, red pepper, snow peas. Yummy!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    In egg rolls I like to use cabbage, carrot, water chestnuts, onion, and sometimes bean sprouts for the vegetables.
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    These all sound like such good ideas! I cant wait to try some of them!
  • To give your rolls bulk without the noodly carbs, in addition to the cabbage and bean sprouts already mentioned, try enoki mushrooms . They're tasty without being overpowering, and they're surprisingly cheap -- if you can find them. You can also get kits by mail to grow your own, and they're one of the easiest types of mushrooms to grow.
This discussion has been closed.