Nutrition for 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Echoing what the others have said above - I'd choose two or three weetabix with skimmed milk (and sugar if I'm honest) and a banana!

The only thing I would add is that if you suffer from runner's trots (diarrhoea during or after running) you need to avoid eating too close to race time and definitely avoid caffeine on the day if possible. Oh, and plenty of water. Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I didn't drink much water prior because I was so worried about having to pee in the middle of the race.
    [/quote]

I would be worried about this as well, how does this work in a race longer than 5k?
    [/quote]

I drink a bunch o' water the night before the race and not very much the morning of the race (maybe 10 -12 ounces of water). I used the portapotty as often as possible before the start. Once I get running and sweating then I drink during the race. In 22 marathons I've stopped to pee only 2 or 3 times.

I've seem some guys wear a black garbage bag before the race, then pee into a an empty Gatorade bottle. Kind of like their own private portapotty...
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat a lot, maybe a banana and a glass of milk or something, or maybe just a protein bar. Its not a real long race.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

I didn't drink much water prior because I was so worried about having to pee in the middle of the race.
    [/quote]

I would be worried about this as well, how does this work in a race longer than 5k?
    [/quote]

I have a drink an hour before, make sure I pee 10 mins before the race, then have a small drink at the start and carry a water bottle with me. You sweat so much running that once you have set off anything you drink just gets sweated out. Sometimes I feel like I have to pee while running, but once I finish I realise I don't.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Just a piece of wheat toast with PB or almond butter works for me. And I'd eat at least an hour before.