Does your feet get smaller as you loose weight?

Options
I have a strange question.. do your feet get smaller as you loose weight? I didn't notice it before... but when I went to buy new shoes for my new dress I got a pair of 6's.. my walking shoes at 8 1/2... so did my foot shrink or is it just that I got sandal's instead of walking shoes?

If they shrunk that's a very surprising NSV lol I never imagined that happening.

Replies

• SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mine have shrunk a little, my boots that used to be hell to get my feet in now slide on easily. When buying dress shoes or sandals vs. sneakers your dress shoes will be about a half size smaller than your normal day to day shoes. So most likely you're feet shrank some :)
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    Actually for me, yes. Maybe I just had fat feet?!
    I fluctuate from a 9 to an 8. On the same shoe. So it's not a different style or brand. Weird.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That's quite a big jump --- I don't think either option explains it. I can vary by a size or so based on manufacturer of the shoe and width of the shoe, but not 2 and a half sizes! That is odd.

I actually have the opposite happen, my feet got bigger. The theory is from all the walking/jogging. I went from a 7.5 to an 8 in tennis shoes and a 7 to a 7.5 in all others.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I went from an 8 1/2 to a 7 so i would say in my case, yes
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    My feet have not shunk as in a lesser shoe size but they have most definitely lost weight.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes...the weight forces your feet to spread...the loss in weight causes less pressure on the tendons allowing ( a little "bounce back" so to say! Also any fat deposits and water retention in the feet get better from the weight loss! Its just a great win win situation. Of course it is sad to say goodbye to some favorite shoes in the closet, but on the plus side?? a new trip for NEW SHOES!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Weirdest weight loss phenomenon-- SHRINKING SHOE SIZE!

No joke. Happened to me.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I went from a size 10 to a size 9 shoe! It can happen :smile:
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have a strange question.. do your feet get smaller as you loose weight? I didn't notice it before... but when I went to buy new shoes for my new dress I got a pair of 6's.. my walking shoes at 8 1/2... so did my foot shrink or is it just that I got sandal's instead of walking shoes?

If they shrunk that's a very surprising NSV lol I never imagined that happening.
    I certainly did. And that can be quite annoying when it comes to expensive motorcycle boots.

I had to buy 12 EEE motorcycle boots when I ramped up my Iron Butt rides back in '09. As of January of this year, my feet flop around in them when I put them on so I had to stuff paper in the toes!
  • cappelgate
    cappelgate Posts: 10
    Options
    Went from a 10 to an 8.5! It is crazy!
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What I have noticed is that my feet are now narrower. When I was growing up, I always was a "Narrow" in men's shoes. When I was at my heaviest, my feet spread to a B width. . . but now that I'm less-heavy, I apparently am back to an A. Thank goodness I didn't spend much $$ on shoes before! (But I might buy some nice ones now.)
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I hope that happens to me, I'm a 10 1/2 :)
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    Yes they do and noticeably so depending on how much you lose.

My adult foot size which I'd say I reached in high school was 8 to 8.5. After that, I spent so many years in a 9 that I started to consider it my shoe size. It didn't stop there though, oh no,...later I had to shove my hocks in a 10.

Now I'm back to the 8 to 8.5 range and it's been so long since I was here that I constantly have a confused look on my face when I'm shoe shopping lol. It feels the same way as shopping for clothes in a smaller size which is definitely an ago boost, but I still always have the look of "well I'll be darn, it actually fits" on my face in the dressing room.
  • samitapio
    samitapio Posts: 3
    Options
    Shoe size can definetly change. It's not always the size per say that changes but the width. Before i hav extra wide feet and usually requred 1 size bigger shoes to fit in. When my feet got more narrow i could go down in shoe size.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Mine have too. I was very glad too, they went up from a 5 1/2 to a 7 as I got bigger, they have gone down to a 6 again now, and I'm finding heels easier to walk in again which is a lovely bonus
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    No.

They just got less fat.
  • maecrocker
    maecrocker Posts: 56
    Options
    My feet have definitely gotten smaller. Not only did I have to buy a whole new wardrobe but I had to buy all new shoes. I was amazed. However, the last 3 weeks or so my feet had been killing me. Then it dawned on me one day during my morning workout -- I hadn't bought new workout shoes in over a year and a half. My feet were swimming in them. I had them tied so tight the tops of my feet were killing me and I was still sliding in them so my toes were pushing against the fronts. I bought new workout sneakers last week and it is a world of difference.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mine did. I went from a size 8 to a size 7. So now, not only do I not have clothes that fit, I don't have shoes that fit either.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this! I am down a shoe size since starting my weight loss in January 2013....and boots that I wore are too big now on my now skinnier calves...but yes, apparently you can lose a bit of fat off your feet, bizarre. I remember when I was pregnant and had a lot of fluid retention I went up a shoe size then.
  • shikiwiki13
    Options
    YES! None of my old sandals fit me!