correct breathing technique

Options
i just started doing the C25K program (so far so good) but i was just wondering the correct way to breathe while your running. should you breathe in and out thru your mouth or in thru nose out thru mouth or in and out thru nose? lol i quit smoking over two years ago but i still get pretty winded while i'm trying to run so i thought it could have something to do with the way i'm breathing?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump...I'd like to know this too!
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In through the nose, out through the mouth. Helps regulate your heartrate.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can never breathe right while exercising. I try, but it's an epic fail.
  • CraigIW
    CraigIW Posts: 176
    Options
    In through the nose, out through the mouth. Helps regulate your heartrate.

I second this.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    In through your nose. (All those little hairs and your sinuses serve as a filter and to warm and humidify the air you breathe before it gets to your lungs. The lower respiratory tract is very moist (yes, I used the "M" word) to help filter and humidify the air we breathe. Exhaling through pursed lips will actually increase the pressure of the air in your lungs, facilitating more gas exchange at the capillary level. (Meaning more oxygen in and Carbon Dioxide out)
    Hope this helped.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    When I run, I have tried (in the past) the in thru the nose, out thru the mouth and for some people (like me) you just can't get enough air in. Basically, just do whatever is comfortable for you. If you are more comforable mouth-breathing when you run, by all means, thats what you should do. :) Just be careful to not do all shallow breathing, because you can end up with the dreaded side stitches.
  • jeaniedev
    jeaniedev Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have been working with my trainer of this...it is such a struggle...but what he tells me it take one deep breath through your nose...then small ones through your nose and out through your mouth 4-5 and then a big one again,,,and just keep going...I feel so silly when I can't catch my breath....I mean it is breathing...but it is such a challange for me, it is getting better though

\
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes i feel like i'm hyperventilating when i try to breathe in thru nose and out thru mouth. actually i do pretty good at first just doing whatever comes naturally and THEN i start thinking about it, that's when it usually goes to hell LOL!
  • ShortTom
    ShortTom Posts: 2
    Options
    Very good reply TDgee, didn't know all the technical aspects. I was just told to breathe that way by a retired professional runner so I did.

To tresboys point, sometimes the in-nose-out-mouth style will feel like you're suffocating. Try to endure it for a little while, maybe slow your pace down a bit. Once you get used to it, it gives you far more endurance and stamina than open mouth style, at least in my experience. Plus it's something to concentrate on when you're running.

My specific technique is this: when I start running I purposefully resist getting to the rapid breathing stage. I'll breathe in for a count of 3, then out a count of 4 or 5 (it usually takes me longer to exhale than inhale). I'll do this until I start to feel stifled, then I'll shorten the inhale / exhale rate to a count of 2 or so. Only during the last part of the run will I go to the rapid in-out-in-out breathing sequence, because it makes be so completely winded to breathe like that.

Just to note, I'm not a long distance runner, usually only run 1-2 miles, but try to keep a pretty rapid pace of about 7-8 minute miles. I know, I'm definitely not an Olympian. :)
  • Big_Dancer
    Big_Dancer Posts: 17
    Options
    I am also a former smoker and I tend to get winded during exercise. When I was working out with a trainer several years ago, she told me to time my breathing with my steps, like swimmers do with their stokes; breathe in for two steps, out for two. I dunno why, but it really really helped increase my stamina. And I do in through the nose, out through the mouth. Otherwise my mouth and throat get too dry.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You should breathe with your diaphram muscle so that the lungs expand fully.

If your chest expands when you breathe then you are breathing wrong. You will also probably hyperventilate if you try to run fast.

If your stomach expands then you are breathing right.
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was always told "In through your nose, out through your mouth." I am extremely uncomfortable with breathing through my mouth. I do it if I can't catch my breath, but I prefer to breath in AND out through my nose throughout a run. I feel much calmer when I breath this way. Has anyone else had this same experience?