Bread/Bread Rolls

Options
I am a lover of bread and rolls. Nothing goes so well with food!
Soup
Spag bowl
Curry
Salad sandwitches (A joke with the calories)
you get my point.
My problem is this and will give an example.
I had a whole tine of heinz beef broth soup and two slices of bread for lunch.. Calories 550 or there abouts however i make two sandwitches containing lettuce, tomato, very little cheese and some ham and they total around 800! i try and have something good in a sandwith instead of chocoalte spread or marmite and that happens. I notice the bread is making about a 300 calorie difference to my meals. So...
Has anyone got any ideas of what i can use instead of bread?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Skip the bread and put the ingredients on top of a salad. I put lunch meat, tuna, chicken, pretty much anything on top of romain or spinach.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Why not a low calorie bread. I use Healthy Life with 35 calories a slice.
  • MaryW1962
    MaryW1962 Posts: 23
    Options
    What kind of bread are you eating?!?! You can buy the 35 calorie bread. It's good and so little calories. I'm a bread lover too and a chocolate lover. I've not given up either one. In the past I have tried to go without and I wouldn't last over two weeks on a diet so this time I decided I'm not going to stress about what I eat but just try to keep my calories where they should be. So far it's working for me and I don't even feel like I'm on a diet.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee has some fantastic breads for 90 calories for 2 slices. Check it out!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of bread you're eating. The bread I use is natural, whole wheat berry bread and it's 100 calories per slice. My sandwiches are generally around 450-500 calories with meat, cheese, avocado, tomato, etc.
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? I LOVE BREAD! It doesn't help that I live in the heart of wine country and we have the best french bread you can imagine. But alas, I am a gluten free eater. I substitute bread with quinoa, brown rice, corn tortillas, white rice on occasion, etc. Sometimes, if I REALLY want a sandwich I will put a very thin amount of organic peanut butter on a rice cake with some cranberry apple butter (which is low in caloric content)...and I have a crunchy yummy sandwich. For breads, if you want to try something different... get the sprouted whole grain breads. They will have a higher protein content with 4-7 grams per serving and lower calorie content. Hope this helps!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee has a lite bread, Thomas's Sahara pitas. Weight watchers. are all low in cal and carbs.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    you can eat bread, but maybe dont eat it with every meal. Make it an actual meal, like have it for your breakfast so you dont feel youre depriving yourself of something you love. Have it AS a meal instead of as an extra on top of your meal as its too calorific for that, and make sure you dont have masses of it. Some soup with a couple of slices of toast, or a chunk of baguette maybe, or just one sandwich instead of two