Serving size by weight, but no food scale?

Options
I have come across many packages of food that have serving sizes by weight, but we have no food scale in our house. How do you handle this? We are planning on investing in a scale, but right now I am going to have to try my hardest to track my calories without one.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I bought my scale from Walmart ($17). It is digital and does both metric and imperial systems!! I love it and it was totally cheap!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    food scales are cheap, its worth the money to get one, otherwise you are just guessing
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I bought one for about $5 at Target and it works great. I'd like to have a bigger digital one but for now this one does the job.
  • Jspiffy
    Jspiffy Posts: 15
    Options
    I just eyeballed it for the first few days. The cheapest one I could find was a digital scale for like twenty or so bucks and at the time did not have the cash to buy it. I did find a very basic scale at target for 5 bucks that works good enough for me. IT records grams and ounces (up to 16 oz) which far exceeds what I need since most of the food I prepare is for myself or two persons.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    you need to buy one. i got one for like 7 bucks at Kroger. when i would eyeball stuff that i thought was 3 oz or whatever, when i actually weight it i either over estimated or under estimated dramatically.
  • Mojo3929
    Mojo3929 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    On the packages it also tells you about how many servings the container holds. If you can divide it fairly evenly, you can get pretty close. My sliced turkey always tells me that 6 slices is a serving on the back, and my artichokes tell me about how many as well. Just a thought.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    get a scale it is worth it and not expensive
  • Rowann
    Rowann Posts: 86
    Options
    I have come across many packages of food that have serving sizes by weight, but we have no food scale in our house. How do you handle this? We are planning on investing in a scale, but right now I am going to have to try my hardest to track my calories without one.

Any suggestions?

If it was possible I'd open the packet right up, and split it into how many servings the label claimed to be in each... it can only ever be a rough estimate without scales, but you already know that and don't need anyone else to tell you... :)
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh my food and bought a digital scale for that purpose. However if you search MFP's food database many if not most foods are listed in multiple serving quantities including volume measurements (cups, tablespoons, etc.) that you can use without a scale.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I went three months without one and lost over 30 pounds so for me it wasn't a necessity. I got one for Christmas and I do love it and I do think they are a good idea.
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    google serving sizes for specific foods...you should be able to easily find sizes for meats/other foods (for example, 3 oz of fish is the size of a deck of cards). these give a standard visual for size of foods that are a close estimate. cheaper than a food scale and works well if you estimate honestly. Good luck!!
  • Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    I AM getting a scale. I stated that in my first post.... it is something we need if we are going to make this happen. However, I want to know what to do in the meantime.

Thank you for the advice so far. I've just been eyeballing it and hoping for the best.