Me > Wall *smack*

Options
Okay, that's me hitting the wall. :tongue:
Could someone PLEASE yell at me for trying to go 110% this week to get myself back to my fightin' weight after over two months of no exercise? I have to be honest, I KNOW I did way too much this week, and tonight I fell asleep for a couple hours instead of going for a run, and I feel really really guilty about that. I didn't eat too much, I haven't cheated, I just have a negative addiction to exercise and it's really come out in the past 10 days. I've burnt roughly 5,700 calories in 11 hours of exercise in 7 days...and my first three workout days burnt over 1000 calories in well under two hours, which negatively impacted my remaining 4 workouts.I have been doing 2 cardio classes together, like spinning and step or turbokick (which is REALLY high intensity) along with lifting for 30-60 min. After I kill myself for a few days, I totally crash, and while a 3 day on-1 day off schedule is fine, mine isn't planned that way. I just can't do what I need to do. My DOMS was so bad the first day I couldn't dress myself, couldn't lift my arms over my head. I also strained my hamstring and my left trap, ow ow ow.

My bf tells me to give myself some time to rest and not feel guilty about it, but I can't help it! I feel that when I don't exercise, I'm taking a step backwards in my progress. I just need to stop feeling guilty and try to take this down a notch. It's difficult because I get so impatient with myself...not with fat loss so much (although it's a portion), but with my performance. I think, "Man, this weight was easier a few months ago, come on, push harder you wimp..." And the cardio...well I really love exercise classes, I'm like a collector. :ohwell: I want to try ALL of them. It's also where the fat loss comes in...if I burn 1200 calories in one session, it'll be easy to have a generous deficit (700 cals is still okay for my body fat, I'm not trying to starve myself or anything).

*Whew*. Just needed to get that off my chest and admit it to all my MFP friends. I can never take my own advice even though I know its good! :angry:

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's me hitting the wall. :tongue:
    Could someone PLEASE yell at me for trying to go 110% this week to get myself back to my fightin' weight after over two months of no exercise? I have to be honest, I KNOW I did way too much this week, and tonight I fell asleep for a couple hours instead of going for a run, and I feel really really guilty about that. I didn't eat too much, I haven't cheated, I just have a negative addiction to exercise and it's really come out in the past 10 days. I've burnt roughly 5,700 calories in 11 hours of exercise in 7 days...and my first three workout days burnt over 1000 calories in well under two hours, which negatively impacted my remaining 4 workouts.I have been doing 2 cardio classes together, like spinning and step or turbokick (which is REALLY high intensity) along with lifting for 30-60 min. After I kill myself for a few days, I totally crash, and while a 3 day on-1 day off schedule is fine, mine isn't planned that way. I just can't do what I need to do. My DOMS was so bad the first day I couldn't dress myself, couldn't lift my arms over my head. I also strained my hamstring and my left trap, ow ow ow.

My bf tells me to give myself some time to rest and not feel guilty about it, but I can't help it! I feel that when I don't exercise, I'm taking a step backwards in my progress. I just need to stop feeling guilty and try to take this down a notch. It's difficult because I get so impatient with myself...not with fat loss so much (although it's a portion), but with my performance. I think, "Man, this weight was easier a few months ago, come on, push harder you wimp..." And the cardio...well I really love exercise classes, I'm like a collector. :ohwell: I want to try ALL of them. It's also where the fat loss comes in...if I burn 1200 calories in one session, it'll be easy to have a generous deficit (700 cals is still okay for my body fat, I'm not trying to starve myself or anything).

*Whew*. Just needed to get that off my chest and admit it to all my MFP friends. I can never take my own advice even though I know its good! :angry:
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. ~Erica Jong, How to Save Your Own Life, 1977

Man I got tired just reading all that you do. When do you find the time for all that. I know when I was in college I could not function if I didn't get some for of exercise in, it got so bad that I ended up flunking out of school. It's too bad that I was using exercise to try to "fix" something that was so beyond my control (sorry little trip down a very rocky road for me)

Guilt is such a tricky thing isn't it. I often feel guilty for taking even a 1/2 hours to take care of myself. But if we do not take care of ourselves, then we are not any good for anyone (ourselves included) Rest and relaxation are a big part of taking care too. You have to find a balance that will work for you.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Haha that is a great quote!
    Right now I have a lot of time to bust my butt because school doesn't start until Monday. I did this last year too though, because I had enough money saved up that I finally didn't have to work (first time in 5 years lol). But last year my level of conditioning allowed for this a little more. In the past it's gotten so bad that it even affected my relationship...I was working 2 jobs with school and training twice a day, and I was nooooo fun to be around. Unfortunately I've never again reached the shape I was in during that time. I do know I need the rest, I just have to make my conscience shut the heck up or change its mind so I don't feel like I'm undoing all of my progress by resting.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the exercise, do it.
    Then eat the extra calories you burn off.

If you're addicted to the exercise with something negative driving you, I don't personally think it's worth it.

I think everyone needs to enjoy the exercise they choose to do, and to do the amount they want to do while feeling good about it, and then if you want to be lazy, then be lazy. I have plenty of lazy days, and I just eat less on those days.

:)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    If you enjoy the exercise, do it.
    Then eat the extra calories you burn off.

If you're addicted to the exercise with something negative driving you, I don't personally think it's worth it.

I think everyone needs to enjoy the exercise they choose to do, and to do the amount they want to do while feeling good about it, and then if you want to be lazy, then be lazy. I have plenty of lazy days, and I just eat less on those days.

:)

It does sound so easy lol :laugh:
    I do indeed love exercise, and I had gotten really good about enjoying my days off. But now I am so unhappy with my weight gain this summer and my reduction in conditioning, that it's my impatience and guilt driving me to push too hard. I don't have a problem eating less or anything, especially now that there's nothing exciting to eat in the house..it's hard to eat enough. A girl can only stand so much chicken and pasta. :sick: