Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How long does it take for calories turn into fat?

ellelit
ellelit Posts: 806 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
so... just wondering. say i go 500 cals over today... but don't get a chance to exercise today. at the stroke of midnight do those excess calories turn to fat, or is there some sort of grace period. like, for instance, can i work my *kitten* off tommorow, or over the next couple of day to undo the damage i've done in this one day? i've never quite figured out how this works. thanks!

Replies

• ellelit
    so... just wondering. say i go 500 cals over today... but don't get a chance to exercise today. at the stroke of midnight do those excess calories turn to fat, or is there some sort of grace period. like, for instance, can i work my *kitten* off tommorow, or over the next couple of day to undo the damage i've done in this one day? i've never quite figured out how this works. thanks!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    I dunno for sure, but I think that is why many health experts recommend you weigh in only 1 time a week, so you have a chance to kill off those excess calories! :laugh: I am not scientifically sure of an answer to your question, though.
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    Your body processes the food, and if it's not burned and utilized, it is stored...as fat. The good news is that you can burn the fat this evening or tomorrow. Eat less calories than you burn=your body uses it's storage/fat. Good luck on eating healthy tomorrow and over the holiday weekend!:wink:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Depending on what you've eaten and the health of your digestive tract, digestion can take 13+ hours. Gastric emptying time differs as well, from a couple minutes for water, to a few hours for meat. Nutrients aren't absorbed until food reaches the small/large intestine, so you still have several hours after your last meal for any nutrients to enter the blood stream. Once that happens, hormones regulate what nutrients, and how much of them, are used in triglyceride formation. Not all excess macronutrients are used in that way; some are needed for repairs that are blunted when we're in a caloric deficit. This cycle is continuous, so there's no way to determine when a certain meal is being digested/absorbed.
  • ellelit
    wow, thanks!
  • songbyrdsweet
    No problem :smile: Just get back to normal eating tomorrow, and take those extra calories to the gym with you for a boost hehe!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Depending on what you've eaten and the health of your digestive tract, digestion can take 13+ hours. Gastric emptying time differs as well, from a couple minutes for water, to a few hours for meat. Nutrients aren't absorbed until food reaches the small/large intestine, so you still have several hours after your last meal for any nutrients to enter the blood stream. Once that happens, hormones regulate what nutrients, and how much of them, are used in triglyceride formation. Not all excess macronutrients are used in that way; some are needed for repairs that are blunted when we're in a caloric deficit. This cycle is continuous, so there's no way to determine when a certain meal is being digested/absorbed.

Songbyrd! Im so glad your back!! You so ROCK! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet

Songbyrd! Im so glad your back!! You so ROCK! :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Awwwwe thank you! :blushing:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member

Song, do you have baby pictures yet? :glasses:
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    so i read the question...scrolled down and read this incredibly detailed answer that was so easy to understand...Lo and behold it was Songbyrd!! Ive said it before and i'll say it again...we're glad you are here for those of us who need answers like this one!
  • songbyrdsweet

Song, do you have baby pictures yet? :glasses:

Plenty on my phone lol! One of my boys was having free time today and apparently got thirsty, so he hopped into my water glass and held onto the rim with his back feet while he drank, hilarious!! My digital camera keeps saying low battery even with new batteries, and won't take pictures. :frown: But I shall keep trying to share their cuteness with you!
  • songbyrdsweet
    so i read the question...scrolled down and read this incredibly detailed answer that was so easy to understand...Lo and behold it was Songbyrd!! Ive said it before and i'll say it again...we're glad you are here for those of us who need answers like this one!

Thank you! I'm glad to be here, keeps the info fresh in my head. :happy:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Yes song, you always have great info....it is good to have you back!!! :wink:

One thing. I have alwasys heard that it can take meat DAYS to digest. Like (not to gross anyone out) it sort of rots while it is digesting. Is that not true?

Thanks!
    Tami
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    I am toooo visual and when I hear stuff like that it's as though I have it right in front of me.
    kinda makes ya wanna go right out and eat a big steak eh.............not!!:ohwell:
This discussion has been closed.