another angsty calorie query (NROLFW related)

Options
kensky
kensky Posts: 472 Member
As far as rest-day calorie limits, I am on the 1/4 a week level. I could easily bump that up and perhaps that would get me out of this "plateau" (how long do you have to not lose for it to be considered a plateau? My weight bumped up from 134 to around 135-137 a bit before my Special Woman Time and hasn't gone back under 135 since then). I weigh daily but only log it after 2 weeks or so.

NROLFW's formula has me eating at around 1700 cal. This would most definitely put me at MFPs maintenance level. At 5'2'' and 135(ish!) lbs. I feel a good ten lbs away from that category. I guess I feel a sense of...Who do I trust? MFP or NROL?

Replies

• tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    NROLFW (if I figured it out correctly) suggests that I eat 1750 calories on non-workout days and 2000 calories on workout days.

However, on page 71, the author says "If you feel that you must eat below your predicted maintenance level, cut a maximum of 300 calories a day." So here's what I've been doing.... On workout days, my goal is 1500 calories (250 less than predicted maintenance). On my lifting days, I add 300 calories to that for 1800. It's not perfect because i'm rounding at times in my calculations, but it should be close enough. I customized my goals on MFP to be 1500 (with 40/30/30 breakdown for carbs/protein/fat). I also lowered my sodium goal and increased my fiber goal. On my lifting days I enter my workouts for 300 calories burned so everything is updated accordingly.

Prior to starting this program, I set my goals at 1500 a day (and did not eat back excercise calories), and I was slowly losing. So the only thing I'm really changing right now is to add 300 calories back on lifting days.

I haven't really been doing this long enough to say if anything is changing or not. And....I ate poorly for 2 weeks, so I'm kind of starting fresh as of this week. My BMI is borderline, so I could have calculated differently. If nothing happens after 2-3 weeks of eating right, I might re-calculate using the numbers for the BMI > 25 and see what happens.

I'm trusting NROLFW for now. If I don't see any changes after 3 months or so, I'll consider some changes, but until then, I'm just putting all my faith into this plan LOL!!

I'll also add that I'm going to be looking into this zig-zagging thing and maybe giving that a try. I haven't had time to read about it or figure out how to adjust my goals for it, but I hope to get on that by the end of the weekend.
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree with Tonya. The author states that you should go with the predicted maintenance level for a month. After that, you have to see what your body does, and adjust accordingly. You are small and short, so I would say that you need to cut your calories down a bit. I would start with the 300 as Tonya stated. Try that for a month and see how it goes. Also, the past couple weeks I have really been looking at my sugar and carb intake. I am definitely not going low carb but I think we as people tend to overdue it with the breads, rice, pasta, high fructose corn syrup, etc. I only have a english muffin or low carb/high fiber wrap periodically and I have cut down on the fruits alot. I also changed my macros to 35/35/30. Most of my fats come from almonds. Also, the fiber should be at least 24 g a day. And as you probably already know, keep the sodium down and drink at least half of your body weight in water. These are just tips that I have picked up along the way and since I started losing weight in January, I have a 1.4 average weight lost per week. Granted, the first 18 lbs were lost with WW but I have been on here for a little over three weeks and have lost 4 lbs. Steady but going down. Don't get discouraged, you just have to find your sweet spot! :-)
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1800/day give or take, which is maintenance level. Below that I don't think I could manage too well - I'd be really hungry!

I'm in my first week and have posted a 1 pound loss, but I'll re-evaluate as time goes on.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    Tomorrow is my last day of Stage 7 for NROLFW. For the past 6 months I've been listening to MFP (which had me eating 1200 calories) instead of what was suggested in the book. Over the past 6 months I've seen my strength improve a ton but only dropped 1.5lbs.

2 weeks ago I got my RMR tested and was told by the doc that I had been basically starving myself for the past 6 months, hence why practically no weight loss. I was told to eat 1600 calories a day (close to what NROLFW suggested) and over the past 10 days, I've seen the scale start to go down.

My vote is to listen to trust NROLFW. I wish I had when I started this program, but I was stupid and allowed myself to be brainwashed by all of the "non-experts" on this site. When you weight train, you *need* to eat.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    OK! Thanks for all the really interesting input! I think I am going for it. I think I am going to bump up my calories for 1700 which was the RMR I tallied via the book. I will call it my month of maintenance. And it's interesting to wonder if my frustration at my lack of progress (or slow progress) in strength gains will decrease as my calories go up.

It's all just a head trip. To put my calories at the level that MFP says I should be holding steady at. I wish I could dismantle the widget that tells me I will be __ amount in __ weeks since that isn't holding true anyway.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I wish I could dismantle the widget that tells me I will be __ amount in __ weeks since that isn't holding true anyway.

OMG!!! This times 1000! I F#$&ING HATE THAT THING!