Any suggestions for the Over 40 woman trying to lose weight

Options
I have been yo yoing the same 2 pounds for over two years. I am 5'4", weight 149 and will turn 49 this summer. I can't seem to get the weight off any more. I never struggled with it until the last couple of years. I'm sure hormones are playing a part, but I refuse to give in to the menopause idea of putting 10-20 pounds on. Anyone else struggling with this issue and getting results on MFP? How long did it take you to see more than 2 lbs of weight come off?

Replies

• nymamiyankee
    Options
    i know exactly what you mean...im 52..ive lost 11 pounds, and did that in about a month's time..but i have a lot to lose..i have an underactive thryoid, so that too was to blame for my weight gain. Im not letting my age work against me though, and i really do believe MFP will be helpful..even for us "older" women
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Early this year I was also wondering if it was even possible for me to lose weight (I'm 50 this year). doing what I normally did was resulting in GAIN. I did a few things to get the ball rolling:
    * With the doctor's permission I halved the anti-depressants
    * I stopped eating after dinner
    * I got on the 6-week challenge at the gym
    * I had a goal to lose x amount by my son's birthday
    * started logging every day again.

Doing what we alway do and expecting different results that is me, so I had to make some changes and I lost 6 kgs in 7 weeks. Try something different, mix it up, it is not impossible!

*hugs*
    GG
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen....I would qualify for being in that category lol. I'm 45 and will be 46 next month. I joined mfp in February and I've managed to lose 18 lbs. It's coming off slowly but surely:) So it's taken me 3 months to lose but am losing inches too and dropped 2 pants sizes which is exciting!! Just be patient, log everthing you eat and make a point to start some type of exercise routine. Even though our metabolism slows as we get older, just have to kick start it and get it going again. Be glad to be your friend and help you along if you need some support:)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    YES!!! It is why I came to this website....turns out weight gain or the inability to lose, has nothing to do with hormones BUT instead has everything to do with muscle loss!

As we "age" and by that I mean since our young childhoods....we get less active and thus our muscles weaken. Think about the young child running and playing, then our teen years being active in sports, dance, etc.....then boom here comes the 20's and we get jobs! And it just keeps going slower from there.

So, the answer in short version, is to work on your muscles....build them up strong and viola - these muscles will burn off the fat and keep you healthy...

It really is the simple truth!

Don't listen to any one who tells you it can't be done, research has proven that we women do NOT need to gain weight just because of menopause and growing older. My own gyn Dr. told me that I could either starve to stay thin OR just relax and accept it HA!! Proved him wrong just like many other women have too.

Best of luck - stay focused on muscle strength, and do some heart healthy cardio and you will never need to fear being a fat old lady!

:flowerforyou:
  • suzieqj
    suzieqj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 7 weeks ago and I have lost 17.5 pounds. I am 54 and have been struggling also, it doesn't come off as easy as it did when I was younger. I have found that if I stay with the amount of calories they say I should have the weight really does come off. I have an issue of eating because I am bored or because it tastes good, not because I am hungry
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and battling the same problem. Have lost 22 lbs in 7 weeks...I've been keeping my carbs lower and eating more lean protein. Also working out 4-6 days a week - usually swimming with one or two days of weight lifting too. Building/strengthening muscle will definitely help, because muscle burns fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I can't say I fall into this category, but I am helping someone in this category at my work. Just log your food on MFP and get a good exercise program. I personally like Chalean Extreme (there is a woman on there that 60) or P90X. Both are at home workouts and have yielded a lot of people good results. Just make sure you have a clean diet with a good amount of carbs/protein/fats. I do a custom setup with 50/30/20 (carbs/protein/fats) but started with 40/40/20 for greater fat shredding. It has worked wonders so far.
  • SK24373
    SK24373 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    hey ladies. I am 42 years YOUNG and yes it is harder for us gals to lose weight, but very very possible. Every woman is different but for the most part, your metabolism does slow down, so you really need to be active and boost the metabolism. I can only share my experience, but I have relied on strength training to build muscle combined with cardio and circuit training.

I eat clean, and boost my metabolism by consistent execise, eating nutrient dense foods, and getting enough sleep at night. I KNOW that sounds cliche, but I really believe it is essential. Cut down as much as possible on processed foods, sodium and other killers.

Start eating soon after you wake up and then stop several hours before you go to sleep. I have always exercised but I had to seriously kick up the intensity after I turned about 35. I am a firm believer in strength training for women in addition to cardio. Our muscle begins to atrophy and we need the muscle for many reasons other than weight loss - and many of us don't focus on it enough.

I wish all of you the very best of luck with your journey. Feel free to friend me if I can be of any support. I believe in kicking our 40's, 50's and beyond right in the BUTT!!!!!! it IS harder for us, but well worth every ounce of the effort!
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful. I am a professional counselor have a very sedetary job! I have been walking to and from my office - so that has helped me add some exercise. The last couple of years were spent with fininshing my Master's degree and working a day job on top of counseling in the evening, so convenience food became the norm.

I have made some major changes in the last couple of weeks - really charting my food and getting in exercise as much as I can. I am hypoglycemic - so I can't cut back my calories too far, but I think I am figuring it out pretty good I think - I know it will take awhile. I just needed to hear of some success stories - so I can stay the course!

Thanks for the encouragement. :bigsmile:
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    bump
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen,

I wouldn't worry about how old or young you are---I think it's all about finding out what the rules are to meet our goals and then to stick with them, and change with them over time as changes happen....because we know they will.

I'm 42 and since joining MFP about 2 years ago I really had no idea what these rules were. I sort of did the no-bread/no pasta thing, but basically ate healthy whole foods but quantities were not in line. I tried to exercise, but it was hard to do more than 20 min. of cardio a few times/week because I was working so hard and raising a little one.

Since joining I had an aha! moment early on. The math this site has taught me makes all the sense in the world. Calculate what you are eating. Exercise and quantify that exercise into more calories you can add to your daily intake. If you do not exercise, you can't eat as much. It's so cut and dry, I was able to lose the weight I wanted and then some and have maintained for the last year. I didn't particularly like so much exercise at first but I certainly wanted to eat more than 1200 calories a day, so I pushed myself to do more and more, and I would say now it's a habit...and I do look forward to it daily.

I'm not saying it's super-easy, but this makes sense to me. I know down the road my metrics will probably stop working and I'll have to re-evaluate what the new ones are, but I'm ready for it and not in the denial I used to be. I so wish I knew this back in my teens! If you need support, I'd be happy to help!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    OMG...I so understand where you are at. I have been trying to shed about 7-8 pounds for...hmm... over a year. About a year ago (maybe a little more) I weighed 128...then without doing anything different (than my healthy lifestyle) I gained 8 pounds. It's crazy. I am 41, so I suppose there are some hormonal changes, but I have had everything health-wise checked out. I hear your pain. I used to be able to shed pounds fairly easily because of my abundant knowledge or nutrition and fitness and willingness to do what needed to be done. Now, I can offer the advice, but can't seem to have it make a difference in my actual weight. Another thing I have been focusing on (and making sure to be mindful about) is just fat loss and muscle gain...not so much actual weight. Friend me if you like, we can struggle together! :-)
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Since joining I had an aha! moment early on. The math this site has taught me makes all the sense in the world. Calculate what you are eating. Exercise and quantify that exercise into more calories you can add to your daily intake. If you do not exercise, you can't eat as much. It's so cut and dry, I was able to lose the weight I wanted and then some and have maintained for the last year Quote by Robin117

Great! At last someone has put down what I have been saying ...If no exercise - less calories !
    And that is wht I only have 1000 calories as I am disabled and not therefore able to exercise.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I went on WW (back when you ate real and not processed food on WW) and lost a lot of weight. It was insanely easy. I never weighed my food or exercised, but practiced portion control and took the steps instead of the elevator. Now that I am older it's more work. I have to exercise and really think about what I am eating at all times. Simply put it takes more effort and i have more things fighting against me like bad knees and early onset menopause due to a bout with cancer.

So that's it. Fight Harder. Nothing special, just be more focused on not just dieting but maintaining a healthier lifestyle. My gramps lived to , I'd like to have a chance at that.
  • Ressy
    Ressy Posts: 19
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I also am using Weight watchers, it's been 3 weeks, and have lost NOTHING! I am 57 and need to lose approximately 30 lbs. I have several problems, one being, I have sleep problems, I go to bed at a decent hour, but toss and turn till 4:00/4:30. During the tossing and turning stage, I get so frustrated, I get up and snack, from making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to having cereal. Recently found the 100 pack Snackwells cookies and Arnold's 100 calorie sandwich thins, and I add a little of Weight Watchers cream cheese. 2nd I want to join a gym but am terrified to walk through the door. Does any of you have any suggestions to help me on my journey, should I talk to my doctor about not being able to drop even a few pounds. I cannot take any sleeping aids as there is a chemical in them that will trigger my restless leg syndrome. HELP!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I also am using Weight watchers, it's been 3 weeks, and have lost NOTHING! I am 57 and need to lose approximately 30 lbs. I have several problems, one being, I have sleep problems, I go to bed at a decent hour, but toss and turn till 4:00/4:30. During the tossing and turning stage, I get so frustrated, I get up and snack, from making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to having cereal. Recently found the 100 pack Snackwells cookies and Arnold's 100 calorie sandwich thins, and I add a little of Weight Watchers cream cheese. 2nd I want to join a gym but am terrified to walk through the door. Does any of you have any suggestions to help me on my journey, should I talk to my doctor about not being able to drop even a few pounds. I cannot take any sleeping aids as there is a chemical in them that will trigger my restless leg syndrome. HELP!

Maybe your doctor can refer you to a dietician that can really help you understand nutrition. As long as there is medical reason for you not to be losing, this can rely help. It helped me immensely! I thought I knew how to eat etc etc (I have also done WW), but she really opened my eyes to things I never knew about food!

Also--please, oh please, do not be afraid of the gym! There will be people there from all walks of life (older, younger, bigger, smaller). I'm sure anyone there would be willing to help you in any way! Maybe call before you go, so they know to expect your "visit". Is there a womens' only gym near you? That could be ideal! Good luck!
  • maggie4097
    maggie4097 Posts: 156
    Options
    hey ladies. I am 42 years YOUNG and yes it is harder for us gals to lose weight, but very very possible. Every woman is different but for the most part, your metabolism does slow down, so you really need to be active and boost the metabolism. I can only share my experience, but I have relied on strength training to build muscle combined with cardio and circuit training.

I eat clean, and boost my metabolism by consistent execise, eating nutrient dense foods, and getting enough sleep at night. I KNOW that sounds cliche, but I really believe it is essential. Cut down as much as possible on processed foods, sodium and other killers.

Start eating soon after you wake up and then stop several hours before you go to sleep. I have always exercised but I had to seriously kick up the intensity after I turned about 35. I am a firm believer in strength training for women in addition to cardio. Our muscle begins to atrophy and we need the muscle for many reasons other than weight loss - and many of us don't focus on it enough.

I wish all of you the very best of luck with your journey. Feel free to friend me if I can be of any support. I believe in kicking our 40's, 50's and beyond right in the BUTT!!!!!! it IS harder for us, but well worth every ounce of the effort!

I needed to read this today! Thanks for posting!
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    For me (age 40) it was do a class -- be accountable (I am doing bootcamp). Log everything you eat even if it was embarrassing. Reduce carbs and increase protein. Exercise every day. I seriously have to exercise every day even if it is a 30 min walk/run (I am doing the C25K). I don't purchase food that isn't right for me to eat. I only have alcohol on the weekends. SIGH. It is a lot harder than it was 20 years ago!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Patience...and lots of it! Use the MFP calculations and don't be afraid to tweak them as needed. I found that I lose better at around 1400 per day than I did at the 1200 per day. I do moderate exercise, mostly walking and using the Wii Fit. I try to limit the starches, but still have whole grain products in my daily intake and moderate to heavy on the protein. I am usually 80/20 as far as clean eatting goes. I don't use powders or bars, lots and lots of vegies though. There will be plateaus, there will be goodies, there will be days when you have no choice on what you eat. One day at a time, and don't get all pissy with yourself when you go off track, just get back on asap.

Oh ... I am 47 (8 soon) and have lost 75 pounds over the last 11 months, 70 yet to go.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I went on WW (back when you ate real and not processed food on WW) and lost a lot of weight. It was insanely easy. I never weighed my food or exercised, but practiced portion control and took the steps instead of the elevator. Now that I am older it's more work. I have to exercise and really think about what I am eating at all times. Simply put it takes more effort and i have more things fighting against me like bad knees and early onset menopause due to a bout with cancer.

So that's it. Fight Harder. Nothing special, just be more focused on not just dieting but maintaining a healthier lifestyle. My gramps lived to 102, I'd like to have a chance at that.

*fixed gramps age from previous post