Question about Exercise Calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine... but I'll add the caveat that I don't rely on MFP's exercise counter; I use a BodyBugg for actual calories burned. Some folks use HRMs for a more accurate number.

If you are using MFPs exercise database for calories burned, you'll need to experiment. Some people find it's too high, others find it's spot on, and yet others find it's too low.
  • neesono
    neesono Posts: 61
    Options
    Because I'm an overweight non-expert I try to do as much research as I can. I've never heard of eating back exercise calories until I started looking into fitness plans.

From what I have read it seems to come down to two factors

1) The facts. A higher metabolic rate promotes fat burning. That seems to be universal. Processing food boosts your metabolism. eating several meals throughout the day helps to keep the engine running which means your metabolism doesn't dip too much. So if the engine is running you're burning fuel. But where is that fuel coming from? You've gotta eat. Yes the whole point of working our big *kitten* is to burn calories to lose weight. But the simple fact is that if you don't eat enough then your body will store the fuel rather than burn it. Again, I am no expert. These are just things I have learned from reading articles written by experts and based on what works for me. Which brings me to factor two...

2) Listen to your machine. I am nowhere near my goal weight but over the last few months of changing my fitness lifestyle I feel that I've become more in tune with my bod. It lets me know what I need and when I need it. I am convinced that the more you work out and eat right the more your body will communicate with you. It will start to enjoy being treated right. So when you slip or take a cheat day your body will go into "WTF?!" mode and let you know.

Personally I say give any lifestyle change 90 days. Throw out your scale and just log what you do. If there isn't any significant movement in 90 days then review your logs and make the appropriate changes. It's really just that simple. Checking your weight daily is BAD. Hell, checking it weekly isn't all that helpful either.

Sorry...I talk too much....so anyway....for me...I eat some of my work out cals back. All if I can. I feel that when I work out I deplete my fuel so it only makes sense to replace it. And don't forget...there are good calories and bad calories. So no need to eat 3 pizzas. Just half of one :-)
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I eat most of them back!