Need help starting a vegetarian diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Ummm well for starters fish is meat! So thats not vegetarian lol
    But besides that it ill be pretty tough not being able to eat beans & nuts, but tofu is always an option, as well as 'fake meat' products such as quorn although they can be sneaky with sodium! Also yoghurt, milk & cheese just watch your portion sizes & make sure you eat plenty of grean leafy vegies.

Actually for the record they don't consider fish to be meat.

Yes, we do. Please stop giving out blatantly false information. It just creates situations like the poster above described.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    Oh, my bad, seitan won't work with a gluten allergy. Try googling 'vegan paleo recipes' or vegetarian paleo? The paleo diet avoids grains and overly processed foods.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I think for gall pains you are supposed to cut almost all fat out of the diet. Which is easier as a vegetarian than a meat eater. Dry fried vegetables with whole grain rice or noodles are good low fat, low calorie meals.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    pesketarian. Why do we need labels?
    1. Because there are many reason why people are vegetarians, not just for health.
    2 .It identifies what you will and won't eat. I am a (ovo) vegetarian who happens to be severely allergic to all seafood. I don;t need someone accidentally giving me fish because they confused pescatarian with vegetarian.

I agree. I think there is a pretty real need for appropriate labelling. I can't count the number of times I have been presented with fish as the vegetarian option. FISH ISN'T A VEGETABLE! Vegetarians don't eat fish. If you eat fish, you shouldn't be calling yourself veggie. It does the rest of us a huge disservice.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I hope you're getting clear information from your doctor. Having a gall bladder issue means that there are problems with fat absorption and breakdown. There would be no reason to be avoiding nuts and seeds and beans.
    Having diverticulitis, on the other hand, is a problem with tiny little outpouchings (known as diverticuli) in the intestine which can cause nut particles and seeds to be lodged in there and create little pockets of infection.
    Just want to be sure your mum is avoiding the right foods for the right reasons. Good luck on your journey.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My first Cardio told me at 22 that I would be on statins for the rest of my life to control my ultra high cholesterol. I went home and did the research on statins. NASTY things those little pills are. While researching I came across a paper written by a man who was convinced that eating a vegan diet could cure cancer. I thought he was a nutter, but, I figured if there are enough people out there saying that a veggie or veggie diet is able to help cure cancer - then a diet devoid of animal fats might help cure my heart problems. 3 months after becoming a veggie - cutting out all eggs/meat/fish/and almost all dairy - my cholesterol had dropped by 40 points. 3 months after that, I had lost a total of 35 pounds, and my cholesterol was under 200, 2 years later - I've lost a total of 50 pounds, my cholesterol is under 100 - and four arterial blockages are gone. As in, disappeared. I'm still fat, sure - but then I haven't been doing ANY exercising or calorie counting what-so-ever until the last month. The diet works IF you make it a lifestyle, its not restrictive at all. You just need to educate yourself and figure out what you can swap for. I make my own vegan twix bars, and eat soy yougurt, and love coconut milk ice cream. You can do it. I'm walking proof. :D Oh, and coconut is a fruit, not a nut - I think?
  • anrose
    anrose Posts: 11
    Options
    HI! I have been a vegetarian for more than half my life and I am still loving it.

I suggest for protein, I eat 0% fat greek yogurt (by fage) for breakfast everyday, it has less sugar than american yogurts and way more protein (sometimes a little 6 oz container will have 18g of protein!

Also, lentils are good, whole grain brown rice or quinoa, and eggs definitely are a good source of protein.

I also eat a lot of tofu and tofurkey items (my favorite is tofurkey italian sausage!) and add those to my meals with a grain and lots of grilled vegetables.

Hoped this helped and goodluck!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A quick google came up with http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladderdiet.shtml#gallbladderdiet . I also came across an article that said cucumbers are good for gallbladder issues, which may be why she felt better after eating some.

Beets
    Cucumbers
    Green beans - are NOT the same as dried
    Okra
    Sweet potatoes
    Avocados - a good way to get needed fats directly from food
    Vinegars all types
    Garlic and onions help with liver cleansing but not processed types like flakes or powder. But some people have trouble digesting them so pay attention
    Shallots
    Tomatoes - ripe
    cold water fish- salmon, trout
    Lemons (lemon juice in the morning with hot water helps to clean the liver)
    Grapes and fresh organic grape juice
    apples, berries, papaya, pears
    Omega 3 oils like flax or hemp. Use these with fresh lemon juice or vinegar on your salads. DO NOT COOK flax oil.

Vegetable juices - Beet and cucumber are especially helpful to gallbladder You can add other green vegetables like tender baby greens, swiss chard, dandelion greens, beet greens, celery, carrots -- avoid the cabbage family)

Avoid all fruit juices except organic grape juice and organic apple (self-juiced is best).

All the vegetables listed above for juicing are good. Use baby mixed organic greens for salads and avoid the bitter greens for now.

Fiber such as found in fruits and vegetables and guar gum
    Eggs (Research showed that eggs caused symptoms in up to 95% of patients. Try substituting flax seed gel in recipes that require eggs for the "glue". That's 1 TBSP ground flax seed to 3 TBSP hot water. Let cool and add.)
    Pork
    Onions
    Fowl (turkey, chicken)
    Dairy (milk, cheese, cream)
    Gluten (wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, etc.)
    Corn
    Coffee
    Oranges, grapefruit
    Nuts
    Trans fats, Hydrogenated, partially-hydrogenated oils
    Margarine
    Fried Foods
    Saturated fats
    (even coconut oil until feeling better)
    Red meats
    Coffee, regular or decaf
    Spicy foods
    Chocolate
    Ice cream
    Black tea
    Alcohol, beer, wine, liqueur
    Fruit juice
    Carbonated water
    Tap water
    Turnips
    Cabbage, cauliflower
    Colas and all sodas
    Oats (for some people)

Avoid all artificial sweeteners, sugar, preservatives, refined and bleached foods (like white flour)

Avoid smoking if possible as it can exacerbate the symptoms.

Avoid all possible food allergens.
    Many steamed greens like collard, mustard and kale, also brussel sprouts and broccoli seem to be a problem for some people. Greens (and especially kale and brussel sprouts) are used by the liver to detoxify. It may be necessary to avoid these until you have done some work with the products and flushes as well as diet. Your goal should get to the point where these foods do not cause distress, as they actually target the root of the problem.

GALLBLADDER DIET TIPS

DO NOT OVEREAT

DO NOT EAT UNDER STRESS

EAT ONLY FRESH FOODS - DO NOT
    EAT PACKAGED FOODS ORGANIC FOOD IS IMPORTANT
    ORGANIC IS IMPORTANT - The liver is the root of the problem here, and the pesticides and herbicides used in commercial fruits and vegetables causes extra burden on the liver and therefore, the gallbladder.
  • rlyoungers
    rlyoungers Posts: 14
    Options
    Why no beans? Is this going to be a long term thing? I just can't imagine how a vegetarian diet can be healthy without beans of any kind - that would rule out my major source of protein. Do beans just bother her digestive system? If so, some beans are easier to digest than others. Red lentils are a very gentle bean and they cook up very quickly. Also, when preparing beans, if you soak the dry beans and then rinse off that soak water and cook them in new water, that helps them be more digestible as well.

Also, tofu tends to be easier to digest as all of the fiber is removed in the processing.

Good luck to your mother, I think it is awesome that she is interested in healing herself through a change in diet and that you are willing to help her and change your own diet in the process!
  • milaxx
    Options
    Why no beans? Is this going to be a long term thing? I just can't imagine how a vegetarian diet can be healthy without beans of any kind - that would rule out my major source of protein. Do beans just bother her digestive system? If so, some beans are easier to digest than others. Red lentils are a very gentle bean and they cook up very quickly. Also, when preparing beans, if you soak the dry beans and then rinse off that soak water and cook them in new water, that helps them be more digestible as well.

Also, tofu tends to be easier to digest as all of the fiber is removed in the processing.

Good luck to your mother, I think it is awesome that she is interested in healing herself through a change in diet and that you are willing to help her and change your own diet in the process!
    OP's mom has a gall bladder issue which makes eating beans not a good thing. However, you can maintain a vegetarian diet without eating beans.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry if someone has already suggested this and I missed it, but checkout the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks. They have some great recipes, and have a small section for those who still eat fish.

Best of luck!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Went to see a dietitian today. The beans most likely won't be permanent, but for the next month she has to eat that restrictively until the inflammation is gone. After that, we get to pick 1 item and work it in, see how she reacts.

Surprisingly, she is taking it pretty well. Might be because she was starving. I'd been away for a week and turns out my 95 pound mother hadn't eaten anything but soup and most of it she threw up. Probably because the only soup she likes is Pea and Chicken noodle. If I take this traveling job I've been offered I don't know what I'll do...I swear, she would eat nothing but chicken nuggets and hot dogs. We're going to have to have a talk about that.

I found that website, very interesting, and matched everything the doctor and dietitian told me.
  • art_tribe
    art_tribe Posts: 1
    Options
    I can't seem to find the start of this thread, but for gall bladder issues, unpasteurized apple juice is amazing for the gall bladder, it softens the tissues and allows the sludge to move out more easily. And, as tofu is made from soyBEANS, it would not be a good choice, it's tough to digest.

Best of luck with the healing!
  • naturallykat
    naturallykat Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add a gem into the mix, if it doesn't count as a nut or gluten (do check!). Quinoa. Its got all the essential amino acids (protein) you need in it. :smile:
  • milaxx
    Options
    I just wanted to add a gem into the mix, if it doesn't count as a nut or gluten (do check!). Quinoa. Its got all the essential amino acids (protein) you need in it. :smile:
    Quinoa is a grain and a complete protein. It is also dirt cheap and can be used in place of rice in most dishes
  • sitstaygimmeeakiss
    sitstaygimmeeakiss Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm new to this site, and thrilled I found it. Besides my weight problem (which WILL be normal in time), I have a few health issues. One of my problems is diverticulitis - albeit, different than your mom's gallbladder problem, but similar in that I was in an acute stage a couple of times & had to take drastic action to avoid hospitalization - and worse.

Diverticulitis & gallstones are the result of a typical SAD diet. Lord knows I'm as guilty as can be (I love food too much), but sometimes it takes an acute situation like this to make us make necessary changes.

Psychologically, I prefer to tell myself that this is just for now - that when I'm better (and this extra person I'm carrying around is gone), then I can have the treats I love so much. Might not actually care by then - but this helps me not feel so - restricted, so to speak. (I do the same thing when I have to empty the dishwasher - tell myself I only have to take out a few things, then I end up doing them all. Yes, I'm probably certifiably crazy, but hey, it works for me...;-)

First of all - does she know what her diagnosis is? I think we are assuming it's stones - but we all know what assuming can lead to!

The last time I had a diverticulitis attack I managed to get my primary care to prescribe the two antibiotics that would have been given me in the hospital, then I went on sort of a fast (something else hospitalization would have done for me). Just did not want to spend a wk in the hospital, and I most certainly didn't want an operation! Started off with a little fruit for a couple of days, then juice, then a few days of water only. This was essential for my situation. Went off of this, slowly, in reverse (went fr water to juice to fruit, then later added veggies, etc.) when I knew I was better (pain and discomfort guided me!)

Raw veggies & fruits are very healing (noticed someone mentioned nuts - don't forget that nuts are very high in fat) - if you can afford a juicer, look at getting a masticating kind - there are several good ones on the market that won't break the bank. It might be a good idea as a simple way to get enzyme rich nutrition into her. I did a search & came up w/a posting on a raw forum (don't know if it's OK to post links here) that mentioned Norman Walker. He was a proponent of juicing way, way back. He suggested alternating the juice of one lemon in warm water and a tumbler full of freshly made carrot/beet/cucumber juice (you noticed her good reaction when she ate the cucumber). The author of this posting said her husband passed some big gallbladder stones w/this, and I've read of others in the past, too.

Good luck - to her, and to you in your quest to help her!
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Right now it's sludge (God, the human body is gross) AND stones. One of the drawbacks to free healthcare is wait times, so it'll be 2 weeks before she can get in for surgery. They believe if we can clear the sludge they can avoid surgery. That's why the diet.

She's doing pretty good with the meat-free (except fish...I got in trouble for calling it vegetarian!) Oddly enough, gluten free oatmeal helps, but gluten free bread did the opposite. But the bread has eggs in it I'm pretty sure. I came home today and *Gasp* she was cooking up some of the egg whites I'd gotten. ALL BY HERSELF! I don't know if any of you have older parents, but you have no idea, I almost cried.

It's been 3 days, and she's pretty much herself again. Flax tea is disgusting, but helps her a lot.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I echo the quinoa suggestion. I substitute quinoa for rice in a lot of dishes so I can get the extra protein. I also suggest what I do for my fiance for when I'm away. I cook a few freezable dishes, divide them up into portions and then we have homemade tv dinners. Otherwise he survives off of beans and turkey slices.
  • Barelmy
    Options
    She's doing pretty good with the meat-free (except fish...I got in trouble for calling it vegetarian!)

You didn't get 'into trouble'. People just pointed out that, if you want help starting a new kind of diet, it helps to be accurate in explaining what you're aiming for.