Running in the Morning and Eating?

Options
GIBride01
GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
I run 3 x week pretty regularly, getting up early to fit it in before my husband leaves for work and I am on kiddie patrol. The alarm goes off at 6am, and I generally on the treadmill at my gym by 6:20-6:30 (live very close by), typically running 2 1/2 to 3 miles. I know it is better to eat 1-2 hours before a run for energy, and ususally to be honest I have a glass of water before jumping on the treadmill and that's it. I just don't think I could get myself up at 4:30-5 am to eat, then wait an hour to run without falling back asleep but I feel like I am running through tar some mornings! What do the other morning runners do, do you eat/drink something and if yes, what has worked for you? Thanks!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I usually tend to grab a serving of Reduced Fat Wheat Thins to eat on the way to the gym.
    I know it's not right, but it gives me the energy I need.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You can drink a small protein shake with water on your way there. Since it isn't solid food, you don't need to wait before working out. I don't drink a lot simply because I don't want to throw up. But, when I do wake-up cardio -- that is what I have before I go. :)
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have just been getting up and doing my run and eating afterwards. I haven't been doing it long, but so far there have been no adverse effects... It actually feels kinda good to do it that way... :)
  • runningfrmfood
    Options
    I've tried a couple of things and I found that half a banana gives me enough energy for a half hour run and doesn't bother my stomach at all. Try testing things out that you normally eat, but maybe lighter versions of them and see how they go.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Do what feels best for you. If you have the energy without food, that's great, if you are getting hungry...then grab something light and simple before hand. Like before a race (which are always ungodly early in the morning..lol) I eat a simple breakfast bar of some sort. You definitely don't want anything too greasy or heavy. And, I've found I can't eat yoghurt before running, yuck!
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    for two or three miles you don't need to eat before hand.

if you must consume calories before you can't beat a glass of chocolate milk before a long run!
  • GIBride01
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the fast responses..keep 'em coming! I don't feel hungry at all before a run, I just feel my energy level is so low some mornings that I think I am trying to run on fumes and need some gas in the tank...I will have to experiment I suppose, but keep the great suggestions coming please!
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the fast responses..keep 'em coming! I don't feel hungry at all before a run, I just feel my energy level is so low some mornings that I think I am trying to run on fumes and need some gas in the tank...I will have to experiment I suppose, but keep the great suggestions coming please!

sounds like you just need to wake up :tongue:
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im up at 5.45 Mon-Fri to go to the gym for an hour and I never eat before I go. Id hurl if I had something to eat on the way to the gym (its only 10min away).
    I have my normal breakfast when I get home - usually after I have put a load of washing on, dressed 2 little boys, cleaned up the table from breakfast and checked my emails lol.
    If you arent hungry then I wouldnt worry about it, especially for such a short time at the gym. If you are hungry then the chocolate milk is a great suggestion. Chocolate milk after your run is great too for the protein and carbs and whatnot.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I was in the usmc we were told you shouldn't eat before a run, something to do with lactic acid. I have recently started a routine of running and calistenics and the book I got it from recommended eating before running. The suggestions were oatmeal and kashi golean cereal, I've tried both and I find that as long as I eat pre-run I have energy later in the day. Everyone is different though so do what works for you.
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try some caffeine, if you tollerate it with an empty stomach. (and if you like it LOL no everyone is keen on it!)

Failing that you might like an energy drink whilst you are running. As you are doing 3 miles, in reality you should have enough ready available energy stored in your body in form of glycogen, but a half cup of energy drink might send a message to your nervous system that there is plenty more on the way so to keep pushing!

I am not sure if this extra intake is ok with your daily calory goals, but may be it could be a short term fix until your body accepts that it needs to be up and ready for training, or an emergency fix: if you start running and still feel low then have a few sips.

Is trunning in the morning a new routine (less than 4-6 months) if so it is just taking time to adapt
    Have you been running for long before this? A trained athlete can use up the carbs better than an untrained athlete so a little extra during trainin means you are acutally helping fat oxidation.
    For non trained athletes then it is less beneficial or at lower intensity can be actually an obstacle to help fat loss.

Best of luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I leave for all my mornings runs on an empty stomach - whether it is a quick 5 miles or a marathon. You just need to figure out what works for you.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

ARC I can't imagine going out for a marathon on an empty stomach-yeash!!!!

I get crampy if I eat before I run. I can handle gummy bears and tootsie rolls and the likes. Once I get started, I of course drink water & gatorade and take some gels or bloks.

For races where I am up way early and then waiting around for hours (NYC & Boston) I eat something (maybe a powerbar) a couple hours before the race.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning and never eat beforehand no matter what distance the run is.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    if i HAVE to have something before i run in the early morning, it's usually a small portion of oatmeal or a banana. but for most of the time, i don't eat because i can feel it in my stomach and i have a hard time concentrating on anything else other than what i hear in my tummy. with that being said, i CANNOT drink anything 30 mins before my run!! it irks me to listen to sound of water sloshing around in my stomach!! i can't pace myself that way!!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm working on this one too. Generally, if I eat too soon after I get up, I get nauseous. My trainer now comes first thing in the morning on Fridays. We used to train after work, but needed to switch for summer. Last week, I didn't eat or drink anything, and felt a little dizzy. She told me to try a glass of OJ before she comes. Tried that today, and almost tossed my cookies twice. OJ was not the answer. Next week, I'm going to try 1 scoop of protein powder and see what happens.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    eat a small banana on your way to the gym. Its light enough that it wont be a problem eating so close to exercising, and youll probably find you have a lot more energy for it
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake before my morning workouts. Not too heavy, and I don't have to wait as long to get started on my routine.

Good luck!
  • GIBride01
    Options
    [/quote]

sounds like you just need to wake up :tongue:
    [/quote]

Gee Whiz...thanks for that blinding insight:grumble: and helping to point out that I am NOT a morning person. I have been running about a year and a half I would say, so not new at it, but I am not a real hard core runner. A 5 K is the most I have ever done, always done running with stuff, soccer, basketball or hiking/walking. I have always had the problem of wanting to toss my cookies if I ate before working out hard, tried a slug of milk and half a homemade granola going out the dooor and felt ok during the 3 miles this am. :heart: the thought of some coffee before hitting the gym, but just don't know how well that would sit after a mile or so. I shall keep experimenting and see how it goes. Thanks for all the responses!
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm new at running so feel free to entirely discount...but I have a small soy or almond milk latte right before running. Wakes me up, gives me some carbs, but doesn't weight me down. The time I tried eating before running...yech! It works great for me. A regular milk latte would probably work just as well...