All you people with HRMs...question for you!

Options
How far off do you find that the calories burned on mfp are from what your hrm says? I don't have one and it's not in the budget right now, but I have heard that the exercise calories on here are a bit inflated, and I'm wondering by how much . Thanks!!

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person. My cals are high for some things and low for some things compared to what MFP says.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My HRM calories have been like almost exactly between what the exercise machine says, and what MFP says.
    I'm excited to try it out with my circuit/strength training in the morning, so I can see the difference there.
    But from my recent trends, it does seem that mfp over-estimates.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I just got one so I'm not sure how it compares with everything. I always thought the numbers on here were WAY off but it is actually coming out pretty close to what MFP says, it's a little lower (like20 calories), but it is a lot closer than I thought it would be! I haven't had a chance to wear it running yet and I think that that will be the true test.
  • happybunnysbabe57
    happybunnysbabe57 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    mine r aways higher the mfp
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    How much different is it for running? Anyone know?
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I find them Really far off. Lately I've been Jogging 4 Miles. and MFP tells me it's 600 calories But my HRM watch tells me it's 900.
    If I have my heart rate at 165 For almost the whole time.
  • jamesmartin21
    Options
    I find it depends on the intensity of the workout. My bike rides tend to be at a high HR so MFP mountain biking calories are way too low compared to HRM, about 20% to 40% below HRM. If i do a slower, less intense ride MFP calories are closer.
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For me - MFP overestimates for circuit training and underestimates for walking or jogging. So, if you're walking or jogging mainly, it's safe to accept that MFP is at least not over estimating, though it might not be right on.
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    On some exercises it's higher, some lower. I don't know where I would be without mine, even the one on my exercise bike is waaaaaay off. Do you have a rich uncle or a birthday or anniversary coming up? ;)
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine is generally way off than MFP. I just ran 24 minutes and according to MFP it was something like 238 calories, but my heart rate monitor put it at 382. My treadmill had it 307.
  • mogenfire
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers!
  • mogenfire
    Options
    lol, unfortunately no. just gotta save up i suppose