What are the true SCIENTIFIC facts that diet soda is bad for

Options
2»

Replies

• Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love soda! i was brought up on it! addicted! i switched to diet! but all the talk scares me so noe i have limited to one at the end of my day! its my treat after ahard days workout and eating right!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

Increased risk of Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19151203

Increased risk of Kidney Function Decline
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20884773
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda over 3 years ago. I drink water ALL day long. I also have 2 cups of coffee a day. I don't miss soda at all. I occasionally take a sip of hubbys just to confirm that it's nasty. Now don't get me wrong, I was badly addicted. I tried the switch to diet soda. I found that I was experiencing mood swings and migraines. I went to my doctor and the only change to my diet was switching to diet soda, she told me I was having an allergic reaction and could not have artificial sweetners at all. I don't ingest anything with aspartame, splenda..anything, I have not had a migraine in over 10 years.
    I've read the studies and it's f'ing scary what that stuff does to you. I tell everyone and anyone, if you must drink soda, please don't drink diet.

I'm loving these articles, I have a friend who is very morbidly obese, he goes everywhere with a special stool so he can sit down. He thinks that diet soda is not contributing to his weight gain, I am going to flood him with these articles.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I don't have the research to quote, but aspartame, splenda, and sacchrine can be bad for you in HIGH amounts. Basically, though, you'd have to eat a whole lot every day, though, before seeing effects (unless you happen to be one of the people who are sensitive to them). All the studies I've ever seen that say anything more than that are either anecdotal ("it happened to these people" without statistical analysis to back up claims), spurious (the relationship between both is coincidental or caused by some third factor more likely to be responsible for both) or merely correlational (which does not imply causation). This goes for all the cancers and disorders they supposedly cause and for the "links" to increased appetite.

That said, we know that carbonic acid can dissolve calcium deposits (think, teeth!) and phosphoric acid isn't good for your body either. Again, in moderation (a couple of sodas a week) won't kill you. But if you're consuming several a day (especially those enormous cups you get at convenience stores) you're probably not doing your body any favors. Caffeine is also an addictive substance, and in large amounts can cause health problems, but again, in moderation is generally safe.

Basically, soda in any form is a junk food. Drinking diet soda doesn't really make it any better for you, except you're not getting the extra sugar and calories. Try to have them for a treat instead of part of your daily fare.
  • geraintf
    geraintf Posts: 15
    Options
    The atrifical sweetner in diet drinks basically tells your body "get ready for sugar" but then you don't get any sugar so you end up eating/craving sweet things.

A experiment was done with a rugby team. The team was split up into two groups. After a training session group a drank water, group b drank diet coke, both groups then went to an all you can eat buffet and they found that player who had drunk the diet coke ate twice asmuch more as those who drunk water
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I can tell you where to look there is a husband/wife team
    Robert O. Young and Shelley Redford Young they wrote a book about The pH miracle and how balancing your diet the right way helps you to shed the pounds to get down where your natural body weight should be.

They did extensive tests on alot of foods... they approached it from a biological side of things and how the different foods actually affect our body.

Most artificail sweeteners are more acidic then processed sugar. Stevia being from a natural plant does not fall into this. It is on the alkaline side of things. From what I read the acid causes you body to produce fat to protect your organs from the acid. They even have pictures of the blood before and after People ate given foods and how it affected the bloos cells.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Something in carbonated drinks leeches calcium from your bones (according to my doctor). I hate to hear that, but I drink my diet Dew Anyway. Hopefully my calcium supplements are making up for my bad diet soda habit.