Slightly confused

Options
I think I have been doing this program possibly wrong. My BMR is 1240 calories. My net calories I can eat on a daily basis is 1200, not including exercise. So if I exercise and burn 400 calories, How many should I eat to remain attempting to lose weight? Is it 1640 or less. Should you eat all the exercise calories? If it weren't for those extra exercise calories I do, I swear I would starve to death, 1200 calories sounds like alot, but when you start eating it is very easy to go over that number, thank God for exercise, so I can eat more and not go without. I hope I am doing this right. If 1240 is my BMR, my resting calories, and I am a nurse, does my net of only 1200 sound right? Just need a little assurance. Thanks, ashley

Replies

• apotts
    apotts Posts: 23
    Options
    I think I have been doing this program possibly wrong. My BMR is 1240 calories. My net calories I can eat on a daily basis is 1200, not including exercise. So if I exercise and burn 400 calories, How many should I eat to remain attempting to lose weight? Is it 1640 or less. Should you eat all the exercise calories? If it weren't for those extra exercise calories I do, I swear I would starve to death, 1200 calories sounds like alot, but when you start eating it is very easy to go over that number, thank God for exercise, so I can eat more and not go without. I hope I am doing this right. If 1240 is my BMR, my resting calories, and I am a nurse, does my net of only 1200 sound right? Just need a little assurance. Thanks, ashley
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much you weigh, and how much you pllan to lose per week. If you are a very small person already, looking to lose a few pounds the setting may be ok for you. If you are very obese 1200 calories if probably very little. Likewise if you are of average size and are nearing the end of weight loss. If you change your setting to "lose 1/2 lb per week" instead of say "lose 1 1/2 lbs per week" your caloric intake will change accordingly. Like I said, unless you are already quite small, your body will likely need more than 1200 cals a day. (and yes you are doing right by eating those excercise calories). Good luck. Play around with your settings a bit and see if that resolves anything for you.
  • apotts
    Options
    I read the questions and answer forum last night, that is what confused me even more. With the information my BMR 1240, my net that the profile gave me of 1200 calories, and if I exercise and have an additional 400 calories, what is the number of calories I should eat? 1600 right? The 1200 net and 400 exercise?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    it depends on how much you weigh, and how much you pllan to lose per week. If you are a very small person already, looking to lose a few pounds the setting may be ok for you. If you are very obese 1200 calories if probably very little. Likewise if you are of average size and are nearing the end of weight loss. If you change your setting to "lose 1/2 lb per week" instead of say "lose 1 1/2 lbs per week" your caloric intake will change accordingly. Like I said, unless you are already quite small, your body will likely need more than 1200 cals a day. (and yes you are doing right by eating those excercise calories). Good luck. Play around with your settings a bit and see if that resolves anything for you.

Little back backwards--if you have a lot to lose, you can do 1200 easily, as you have the fat storage to draw on for fuel. The smaller you are, the more you need to eat as your body has no reserves to draw on to keep going if you don't eat.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I read the questions and answer forum last night, that is what confused me even more. With the information my BMR 1240, my net that the profile gave me of 1200 calories, and if I exercise and have an additional 400 calories, what is the number of calories I should eat? 1600 right? The 1200 net and 400 exercise?

Again 1200 is too little for you. Keep in mind, your BMR is what your body needs to maintain your current weight if you were in a coma, ok. You obviously are not in a coma, so you must eat more to simply keep your body functioning.

And, yes, eat your exercise calories!

And, you should be aiming for no more than 1/2 pound a week lose given the small amount you wish to lose--and check into toning what you've got, Sometimes, it's not weight loss needed but just toning.

Please read the posts linked above. The answers are all there. Sorry to give links but it's so much easier than continually typing the same answers.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    when you input your exercise for the day the caloric intake with adjust to add the addl calories to your food diary.

So today I started with 1200 calories ( i am 5'2" weigh 152)

After I worked out I logged my 40 minutes of working out and my weight training. My calories increased to 1500 for the day.

I will shoot for close to that, if I dont I will not lose weight-been there... done that.

From my experience it is good to log your expected work out early in the day so you can distribute the calories. My problem was I exercise at night so I would log and yikes I had 200-300 leftover calories.

I really hope this helps!!
  • pecksun8
    pecksun8 Posts: 570
    Options
    Basically fill out your information and get your daily caloric number, like you said 1200 calories or 1250, whatever it is.

Now exercise! Let’s say you burn 500 calories. Well if you DID NOT eat those exercise calories, then since your body burned those 500 you now have only ate 1200-500=700calories.
    Yes, after a while you will lose weight, but what will happen and if you search around on these posts, your body will think that you are starving itself and it will start to hang on to everything you eat and you will not lose weight. Your body will hang on to all your fat, and start basically eating into your muscle. You will feel tired, lethargic, and probably really hungry.

Your body at its normal rest needs 1200 calories, just to function through-out the day. Now if you exercise and burn off those 1200 calories, you need to replace those calories.

If you want to really lose weight and eat all your calories, go to the library or search around online and find out what types of food will fill you up with calories that are good for you and will help to drop the fat and build the muscle.
  • apotts
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your input. It really does help.