in pain, after a walk?!?!

Options
so at the start of the year i started going to the gym, a lot! I didn't over do it but for the first few day my muscles were sore, so i worked through it and it helped. Then i was managing to run up to 1k, which isnt a lot to some people, but for someone whos out of breath after going up a flight of stairs, it is :P

Anywho, not long after that i was told to stop running by my phsyio as i was doing damage to my legs ( i have fallen arches and my foot doesnt land properly) so that was my excuse to stop going to the gym, and have since put all the weight back on!!:(

Sooo i decided to walk a 10k next month, something to motivate me and keep me going. I started Wednesday night and did a 6km walk, i pushed myself and jogged a teeny tiny little bit and i have to say i enjoyed it! Yesterday i was in pain but i decided to go for a shorter walk to keep the momintum ( thats not spelled right :P) and well now im like an old woman of 90 hobbling around at work today, im only 21 so its a tad embarrassing :S My physio gave me stretches to do everyday to try loosen my muscles because i have a lot of soft tissue damage, i do them everyday and have done extra before, during and after these walks.

Is there anything else i can do so i dont look like a cripple the day after i go for these walks?? I'd prefer not to take too many rest days because i think the pain will stay the same then, what do you think?

oh god, sorry for the novel :P

Thanks in advance for comments/ advice :)

PS i have proper shoes, with arch supports for my feet, so they're not the problem!

Replies

• LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    a lot of it sounds like impact stuff................ I would look at starting to go swimming..........or use a cross trainer....... means you will have to work a bit longer but better than not being able to walk !

keep going with the stretches.... I would look for a yoga or Pilates class in your area to work on some core stuff and build your tone from the inside

hope it helps

Lee....
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Remember also that your body will get used to it, especially at your age!
    It may hurt a little to start but as your body adapts you'll find it can take more and more.

Pain is good :)
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain,, I love running. I hate the pain. I think the elliptical is a good substitute for the running though. And The Arc trainer is even better because the calories burned doing it are way better than on the elliptical. On the elliptical I will split up my workout between going frontwards and backwards. Going backwards really builds up your calf muscles. When I started running with the idea of doing a 5k I had no idea just how out of shape I was. I started after I quit smoking in January. I found out I have to build up those muscle a lot before I can run... I have been working on that and am in fact a lot more fit and strong now. I have a race on Saturday that I am doing because I signed up for it before I realized I would not be ready for it. I will be run/walking it. Hang in there and do follow the advice of your Doctor. Biking is also the best cross training exercise for runners.
    Good luck and do stay doing something. You will get there !
    Mary
  • sevelanne
    sevelanne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    if you have access to a sauna after your walk it will help with the muscle aches :o)
  • BeanieB21
    BeanieB21 Posts: 31
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions :)

The elliptical isnt a favourite of mine because it affects my knees, as does the bike (like i said, i have the body of an old old woman :P)

Although if i went for a cycle instead of walking beforehand im sure it wouldnt be as bad, here's hoping :)