I keep giving up because I don't know what to eat for dinner

Options

Replies

• fayeparker23
    Options
    a few dinner ideas that we use in our house:

spaghetti bolognaise ( lower the cal and fat content by using quorn)
    salmon, cous cous and salad
    fajitas
    tuna pasta bake
    season and shake chicken ( you throw your chicken, veg,and everything in a bag and cook in the oven, there ace, they are by shwartz i think
  • nicolanicola
    Options
    a few dinner ideas that we use in our house:

spaghetti bolognaise ( lower the cal and fat content by using quorn)
    salmon, cous cous and salad
    fajitas
    tuna pasta bake
    season and shake chicken ( you throw your chicken, veg,and everything in a bag and cook in the oven, there ace, they are by shwartz i think

That's great, thank you :)
  • nicolanicola
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I don't like the look of those weight watchers meals, or any pre-packed meals with meat in it, to be honest.

May I do need to cook :(

I think you do! :smile: I could help you out with easy, and quick recipes, which are also under 600 cals.

Yes, that'd be great thank you. I'll msg u my email.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ok, from what I can tell, since you like pizza and lasagna and chili, you like red past a sauce, and noodles. And chicken. how about:

Instead of lasagna, a big and heavy meal, try doing this without the noodles and with eggplant (do you like egglant?) if not, you can substitute any vegetable you do like like zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, cut them in strips and layer them w/the cheese and red sauce.

You like chicken--how about fajitas--instead of making it that one way, wrap it in a tortilla and put guac, and salsa on it.

Eggs--do you like them?? Great for you and you can have them so many ways, and low in calorie.

take any vegetable you do like and make a stir fry--then put that over couscous or some type of multigrain pasta. that's one I do all the time for myself--whatever is in the fridge, put in the pan w/sauteed onion (or not if you don't like it) and olive oil. It's always good. You can add tofu, beef, chicken, whatever you like.

Change up your chili recipe--change bean, change from beef to chicken or vegetable.

You could go to the local bookstore and browse some food magazines or cookbooks for inspiration....it's amazing what a few pictures can do to get your mind pumped to try new things.

Do you like Greek Yogurt? that's my go-to snack and really fills me up. Love it. Also, your crisps sound good and are perfectly fine along with a little cheese --that will fill you up too. Just make sure to measure it so it fits into your goal.

Good luck!! hope this helps a little.....
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/ - i love this website
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Firstly - Yes, you do need to cook - its doesn't need to take more than 30 minutes and personally I find it a great way to relax after work.

Secondly - you need to start with the things you do like and work out rather than just list things you don't like - that leaves us all guessing quite a lot.

Personally I recommend the following:

1) Substitute Quorn or Turkey for minced beef. I use about 100g per person. Now you can make any thing with a meaty red sauce, such as Sheppard's pie, Lasagne, spaghetti bolognese etc where the sauce is just over 100 Cals if you dont fry the onions, or 160 if you use a tablespoon of olive oil to cook with between two.

Add 75g of DRY pasta (270 Cal) or 200g of potato (160 Cal) aand some Salad - Well under 600 calories - even enough room for desert or a bigger portion of 'meat' if you are still hungry.

2) As above but make a stir-fry with Rice or Noodles

3) Try some pre-prepared Puy lentils (Merchant Gormet) instead of tuna with your salad.

4) Tuna pasta bake

5) Get some dry spices for chicken - I like fajitas mix, mild curry and 'garlic and herb' - just rub one onto some chicken breast and wack it in the oven for 15 mins (or until cooked) - It just adds some variety to the 'chicken and jacket potato' staple.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    you should see if there is a "My Fit Foods" in your area. They have fresh and healthy meals already prepared for you. You can get breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. You can buy them in advance because they last 4-5 days in the fridge.
    www.myfitfoods.com

4433730.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ittzings
    ittzings Posts: 7
    Options

Best advice though? Exercise your way to more calories, even if it means getting up an hour earlier in the morning - you'll change shape more quickly, you'll get better quality sleep, and you'll have more calories to eat so will be able to have a bigger range of food.

This! You can work at planning your meals in advance to make sure that you've got something healthy for dinner, or you can plan to exercise so that you can be a bit more flexible when you want to have the pizza, lasagna, etc.! I've found that one way or another, you have to plan something in advance, whether it's food or exercise.

For dinners, I like keeping around some lean protein that's easily cooked (chicken breasts, quorn, or some small fish patties). Pop them in the oven with the baked potato (or a small portion of light fries [chips to you, I think!]), or make up some brown rice. Then, keep lots of the frozen vegetables that you do like on hand for another side dish, since they are generally low-cal but very filling. I like to buy fresh fruit on the weekends and cut it up so I have it on-hand for a side dish or dessert. This stuff is all very quick, fresh and healthy.
  • RGJeff
    RGJeff Posts: 32
    Options
    3 ideas...

1. Keep frozen dinners and vegetables on hand. The tired/busy person will go for these out of convienience.

2. Keep eating lasagna and pizza. Carefully measure the portion to about 250 calories. Add a 250 calorie portion of brocolli and cheese, or brussels sprouts and butter or something on the side. You still have 100 calories left for a cookie or something.

3. Have breakfast for dinner. A big bowl of oatmeal with fruit is my favorite. It takes a minute and a half to cook it. After you sit down and eat it, you still have 350 calories left and can calmly decide what else to eat. (you even have room for 350 cal. lasagna)

Make sure to eat what you are craving- just limit the portion to 250- 350 cals.
  • nicolanicola
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments people and advice. I'm going to read through them all and make notes and have a plan. I am going on holiday a week on Monday, so I don't know whether I should wait til I get back to start or not...MInd you, I would like to be a few pounds lighter by then so maybe I'll start this Monday!
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I keep things pretty simple. Some grilled meat (chicken, especially), sauteed veggies (onions, mushrooms, peppers with a bit of olive oil and pepper or whatever) and a small portion of rice. Not much variety, but I can change things up a little bit when I get bored.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good quick meals (30 min) cookery book, and just try all the recipes in turn. The more you try foods, the more likely you are to like them.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    what about chicken or turkey mince rissoles yummy and easy. Turkey or chicken mince,1 onion, 2 or 3 cloves garlic, rosemary or whatever herbs, 1 grated carrot, 1 egg. mix all together in a bowl. Make rissoles and cook in a non stick frypan until brown.
  • leamatthew
    leamatthew Posts: 162
    Options
    do u have a slow cooker??

I find mine a godsend when im having a hectic day, just bug in pretty much anything, chicken and veg, meat and veg to make a stew, i cook everything in my, currys, chilli, roasts, soups, there simple and u can leave it on when working and it will be done by the time u get home from work :D
    x
  • Jaynequ
    Jaynequ Posts: 39
    Options
    When I had a lot of weight to lose (8 stone) I started by telling myself I no longer did not like anything healthy, and was only allowed to dislike unhealthy things. If you look at peoples dislikes, it is very rarely pizza burgers cake and chocolate, it is nearly always fish and vegetables. We now have a rule in the house, no-one is allowed to say 'I don't like...' they have to say 'I am learning to like...' and therefore have to try the item every time they see it. By doing this I have taught myself to like several healthy things I previously absolutely hated, like olives and beetroot, and have learned to dislike milk chocolate and MacDonalds.

You will only lose weight successfully when you are ready to, and that means being prepared to put the work in,and part of that work is teaching yourself a new style of eating. It is the old ways that got us all where we are today, so we have to get rid of them, and learn an entirely new way of eating.

Good luck!
  • BreakOnThru
    BreakOnThru Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Agree with a lot of folks here--planning ahead and as much prep work ahead of time as you can. Also, when you find something you like that's filling and good for you, make a huge batch of it. I do this with lentil veggie soup. High fiber, high protein, good carbs. You can eat it for several days as part of a meal, or freeze portions to thaw when you're ready. And do flip through magazines and cookbooks for inspiration! Happy cooking. :)
  • pinksherbert
    pinksherbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

There is loads of great advice people here have given you on this thread. I think the key thing to note is that most people who are successfully losing weight do plan their food - there's another thread on here somewhere where it shows some people plan a week in advance, some people the night before or the morning of the day (or 5 weeks ahead like that earlier poster).

If you are not yet into cooking (and it would be good to get into it) then planning ahead is probably all the more important. I am like you and usually leave work because I am hungry, so am completely starving when I get in. I usually know what we are going to have but if I desperately have to eat something when I get in, I have a few salad veg - tomato, cucumber and peppers (sometimes with a tbsp of hummus, but usually on their own) or a yogurt just to take the edge off. Then I can start cooking without feeling desperate to eat something.

Personally I like to cook 1 pot or 2 pot meals (bol with pasta, veg chill and rice, curry and rice, soup, chicken/fish with cous cous and veg) during the week and leave the dishes that involve 4 pans and THEN going in the oven (like lasagne or fish pie) til the weekend when I have more time.

I also usually cook at least 4 portions of whatever healthy recipe I am making - 1 for me, 2 for the boyf (cos he is like a stick but eats for England and needs his food) and 1 for either the next night, the freezer or the next day's lunch. It does mean I eat the same meal 2 or more times in a week, but if it means I dont have to cook as often, then I am well happy will that.

Good luck!

x
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    We ate chicken stir-fry for ages... especially when peppers were super cheap like .80 lb or less.

Currently we are loving chicken breast, roasted asparagus and sweet potato fries. A 250 cal dinner completely balanced in nutrients and <$2.50 a serving. I love a good deal!
  • Adeland
    Adeland Posts: 19
    Options
    Sounds like you need some inspiration for dinner ideas... Do you have a crock pot (slow cooker) ?
    I use mine all the time and it's great for when I don't feel like babysitting my dinner.. You can use it to make pot roast, BBQ chicken, chili etc.... and once it's cooking you can let it cook for up to 8 hours and go on with your day :-)
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I did 1200 calories and am a very picky eater, and not a very good cook. You can eat pizza, if 600 calories is your dinner allowance, eat 600 calories worth of pizza.

A burger 300 calories
    bun 110 caloires
    green beans 50 calories.

Eat what you want...just stay under the calories.