a note about body fat %

Options
So i gave in and talked to the personal trainer at work and she measured EXACTLY how much body fat i have.

First let me say that i was wrong about my weight because my scale is wrong. Mine puts me at 112 hers at 117 (though she said hers is likely 3lbs heavy cause it was right after lunch).
Regardless
I used the body fat % thing on this site and it says (assuming the ligher weight) i am 20%...but when she did proper calculations...even though i'm heavier, i'm only at 17%. This would explain why i can't loose it.

The point is, as handy as this tool is, it's probably good to talk to a personal trainer or someone to have this stuff worked out with real science. This site does not take into account the bodies of already atheletic people who weight a lot more in muscle mass than they do in fat mass.

So if you're atheletic and think oh my god i weigh a lot and can't seem to loose any weight regardless of how hard you work and try...this might be why.

ALSO apparently if you burn 3000 calories in exercise a week, don't bother trying to loose more because you already got your maximum benefit.

hope that helps some...maybe not, but i though i would share what i learned anyway.

Replies

• Tess
    Tess Posts: 16
    Options
    So i gave in and talked to the personal trainer at work and she measured EXACTLY how much body fat i have.

First let me say that i was wrong about my weight because my scale is wrong. Mine puts me at 112 hers at 117 (though she said hers is likely 3lbs heavy cause it was right after lunch).
    Regardless
    I used the body fat % thing on this site and it says (assuming the ligher weight) i am 20%...but when she did proper calculations...even though i'm heavier, i'm only at 17%. This would explain why i can't loose it.

The point is, as handy as this tool is, it's probably good to talk to a personal trainer or someone to have this stuff worked out with real science. This site does not take into account the bodies of already atheletic people who weight a lot more in muscle mass than they do in fat mass.

So if you're atheletic and think oh my god i weigh a lot and can't seem to loose any weight regardless of how hard you work and try...this might be why.

ALSO apparently if you burn 3000 calories in exercise a week, don't bother trying to loose more because you already got your maximum benefit.

hope that helps some...maybe not, but i though i would share what i learned anyway.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Tess is correct, use the tools on this site as a guide only. And for those working out hard and especially those who are lifting weights, get your body fat measured. There are numerous ways to do that. I had lost 60 pounds and got down to 155 pounds, I'm only 5'2" so I thought I still had a few pounds to lose, but couldn't. Then I spoke with my doctor and he had a DEXA scan done on me, the same test that measures your bone density, and I was at 18% bodyfat. I don't need to lose any more. But because I had always lifted weights and was a powerlifter, I have more lean body mass than the average female. I was struggling to lose the last few pounds when I didn't need to.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    YES! Happy Holidays, everyone.

My trainer-person doesn't even weigh her clients, just measurements. I love her. Even though two days ago I called her my torture-master. But in a good way...

I think it was the pink whip with the little tassels :tongue:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I was measured at 30% about 5 lbs ago. My lean body weight was 118, and I'm 5'3". So a goal of 130 is a little unreasonable, but 22% is not.

The pound weight is for me to see progress week to week and month to month. The percent progress is for every few months. I plan on getting rechecked every 3 months or so.

For those that can't afford a personal trainer, here is a formula for women to check their approximate body fat percentage:
    hips + thigh - (2 x calf) - wrist = body fat
    measure on your dominate side. Hips, thigh, and calf at the widest point, with the weight on the side you are measuring. Wrist at the bony part.

You can also go here:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

For men too (web site above), I just forgot how to calculate it, so I can't put it here.