Is truvia okay to use? Or is Stevie better?

Options
seckler
seckler Posts: 169 Member
I just can't swallow my plain Greek yogurt by itself. I have added peanut butter but can still taste something funky. I added a packet of truvia today to see if that would help so we will see later when I eat it. I wanted to buy Stevia because that is what I keep hearing about but the grocery only had the truvia. It says it is made from the Stevia plant but is the Stevia better, is it the same thing but just a different "brand"?
On another note, I have been able to add some of my tastefully simple seasonings to the Greek yogurt to use as a dip for raw veggies and can handle it that way. I just want to be able to eat it other ways without making it bad for me.

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Truvia is Stevia. Stevia is the "common" name and Truvia is a brand name. Kind of like tissue vs. Kleenex.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Truvia is stevia but there are several brands, I have tried that and for me find it has an aftertaste. I like "Stevia In the Raw" packets best. Usually in the healthfood asile of your grocery store. I find I like that brand over any other. I use it only in coffee, oatmeal or use to use it in the plain greek yogurt then added fresh fruit.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I put fresh fruit into my greek yogurt. Diced strawberries, mix it well. Delicious. I try to avoid any chemical sweeteners
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I've used both and they taste pretty much the same to me. I use honey instead of Truvia/Stevia sometimes and that's pretty delicious.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Truvia and Stevia are two types of sweeteners that show some kind of differences between them. It is important to know about the difference between them.

Truvia is first of all a branded sugar substitute. In fact it is processed in character and is endowed with some extract of stevia as well. One of its chief ingredients is of course erythritol which is a natural sugar alcohol.

Stevia on the other hand is a plant unlike truvia. It is important to know that the leaves of this plant are literally used as sweeteners. The extract of the leaves and the purified steviosides are used as sweeteners. One of the primary qualities of stevia is that it is sweet in taste but its flavor is slightly licorice as well.

Read more: http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-truvia-and-vs-stevia/#ixzz1MEaLZI46
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Well I try to stay away from all sweeteners period but am going to have to add something to the Greek yogurt. Is A
    Splenda okay? If you have to use an artificial sweetener what is the best? Or is there something better I could use? I was thinking honey but that contains a lot of sugars and carbs.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Try agave nectar or honey. I'd do stevia or truvia before splenda if your goal is to stay away from artificial sweetners.