Satrted excercising and gained weight....not fair :( totally

Options
So I have started a healthy diet, not starving myself, but still not overeating. I also started power walking/running over a week ago and I jumped on the scales to find that I have gained 3 lbs in one week. 5ft 7" and weight 9st 7lbs - BMI 20.5

I power walk/jog/run for approx 50mins -1 hour a day (took a break on Wednesday) and my typical daily diet is as follows:

Breakfast: Generous bowl of bran flakes & skimmed milk

Lunch: Banana, bread roll, low fat crisps / Bagel with low fat philadelphia

Dinner: Egg white omellte, ham, salad / baked fish & green veg

What am I doing wrong, I have never excerecised before and I am really annoyed now...

Please advise if you can, I am happy for all constrcutive critism and help... i need my bikini body fast!!!

p.s I also drink copious amounts of water a day, and before my diet I used to eat junk food everyday so i couldnt possibly be eating more calories than my usual xx

Replies

• flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It can take several weeks for your body to adjust to a new lifestyle. So keep up with it and you will see results over time.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is just about perfect so don't try to lose weight. You are most likely gaining muscle mass which will account for the weight gain.

If you want to make sure you are eating a well rounded and balance diet within a daily calorie limit, use the other tools on MFP just to keep an eye on it - especially for a couple of weeks to make sure you are not exceeding your calorie intake. Banana's can be quite high in calories and bagels are quite high in sugar.

Hope this helps
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    hard to say without seeing your diary ..start measuring everything even your cereal also opt for a salad with protein for lunch instead of the carbs...and watch the sodium...good luck
  • vodkaswigger
    vodkaswigger Posts: 467
    Options
    The same thing happened to me, apparently its muscle building so you wont see any loss for a couple of weeks, i now lose 2ib a week but didnt lose anything for the first 2. Your eating looks fine to me, i wouldnt worry,just keep at it and see what happens next weigh in, if theres no improvement maybe you should look into it then. Sorry im not much help xx
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thankfully not this time, but previously when I dieted I started by eating better, and then added working out. The week I added working out I gained a half pound and was SO frustrated. Then the next week I lost that, plus some. I was told that muscles sometimes hold on to water when they're stressed (or some such).

So - I second flinchy. Maybe your body just needs some time to adjust!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I would put all your stats info MFP (if you haven't already) and give it a few weeks for your body to readjust. Your from no exercise and junk food to exercise and healthly eating (which is great), but your body does go into shock!
  • Nikki_856
    Nikki_856 Posts: 29
    Options
    I gained weight when I started too. It was really frustrating but after awhile the scale started to go in the right direction. Stick to it and you will see results soon.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    As has already been mention, your bmi is already at the low end of the healthy spectrum. Therefore your body isn't going to give up any weight without a fight!

If its a toned body you want, concentrate on shaping exercises - that means weight lifting rather than walking. Get more protein into your diet. And throw away your scale.

If you can find the thread on "Rleatively light people looking to get leaner" you'll find lots of great advice!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Take your measurements, too. You may gain weight from gaining muscle while shrinking in size. I didn't notice a huge difference on the scale, but saw inches going down! Good luck!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your muscles retain water to heal if they are worked hard. I notice if I work out hard one week, I'll gain a couple lbs and then I take a slow week with leisurly strolls and I will loose a bunch by the end of that "recovery week".
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone... your body isn't broken it just needs a few weeks to get on the same plan your mind is on.
  • lisaellenarsenault
    Options
    ok this is what works for me and it might help. have the following each day
    3 servings of fruit
    3 fats(good fats)
    3 starches
    3 dairy
    6 protine (1 oz) portions
    veggies with the exception of corn I do not count, I count those as free foods, hope that may help a bit????

Also don't forget when you start exercising you gain muscle and then you should start loosing the pounds after about 6 weeks....that is what happend to me.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i need my bikini body fast!!!

there is no quick fix. stay diligent, fuel your body right, and you will get there, but it will be on your body's time, not your mind's. best of luck to you!
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I would swap out the carbs with some protein. Carbs change to sugar in your body and then switch to fat. Plus with the exercise your body needs the protein to build muscle. Instead of a banana try some pecans or almonds, protein shake, or cheese.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    To quote another member foreverjade: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230750-is-it-normal-to-gain-weight-when-you-first-start-working-out?
    very very normal if you are new to working out. See below from beachbody.com

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

And another interesting read at this link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234432-if-you-think-you-gained-muscle-read-this?
  • justinf67
    justinf67 Posts: 10
    Options
    One, it does take your body time to adjust. 2nd, muscle actually more dense than fat, hence it being possible to lose fat and gain muscle and have it not show on the scale...

Judging from you quick log of what you eat, there is quite a large window on how many calories you are ingesting. Could be more than you should be eating or less, as no brands or measurements of food are taking place. I would suggest starting to weigh out or measure your food for a few days to get the gist of how big the serving sizes are. Its amazing how many calories are in things and we dont realize it, or the serving sizes we make are way over what we think.

3rd, eating 3 square meals a day is proven to not be the most effective way to lose weight. 5-6 times a day you should eat. Smaller meals every 3 or so hours jumpstart your metabolism into fat burning mode....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So I have started a healthy diet, not starving myself, but still not overeating. I also started power walking/running over a week ago and I jumped on the scales to find that I have gained 3 lbs in one week. 5ft 7" and weight 9st 7lbs - BMI 20.5

I power walk/jog/run for approx 50mins -1 hour a day (took a break on Wednesday) and my typical daily diet is as follows:

Breakfast: Generous bowl of bran flakes & skimmed milk

Lunch: Banana, bread roll, low fat crisps / Bagel with low fat philadelphia

Dinner: Egg white omellte, ham, salad / baked fish & green veg

What am I doing wrong, I have never excerecised before and I am really annoyed now...

Please advise if you can, I am happy for all constrcutive critism and help... i need my bikini body fast!!!

p.s I also drink copious amounts of water a day, and before my diet I used to eat junk food everyday so i couldnt possibly be eating more calories than my usual xx

Unless you are doing strength training you are not gaining muscle mass. You lose muscle mass with intense cardio and calorie restriction. You are at a healthy weight so your body is going to fight to protect your fat reserves. Take two of those cardio days and switch to strength training. And if have just started this then yes your body could need about a month to adjust to it. New exercise will cause a weight gain at first. And make sure you are eating enough. Too few calories combined with a lot of cardio will just slow your metabolism rather than burn fat when you are at a healthy weight. Make sure you NET above 1200 calories, eat your exercise calories - very important at a healthy weight, too.

I'm 5'2". I started this journey at 130+ pounds. I am now 116.8lbs. I started dropping steadily in January.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    And give your self a rest day. Exercise and calorie restriction are stress on the body - the body protects itself from stress.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is great!!!! You probably just need to tone up! For that I'd go w/ strength training. I'd also ditch some of the carbs at lunch and breakfast for some more protein. I also wouldn't worry too much about the scale when starting a new exercise regimen... your body can go into a bit of shock and retain water, which is normal. Just hang in there!!

AND, you should join my 8wk Bikini Challenge!!! :D