Newbie - struggling

Options
Hi All,

New to this but so far finding it really interesting and helpfull.

I am trying to get bikini ready for my hols in August so have cut down on my calories and have started running/power walking but unfortunatley I have put on 3lbs doing this, so very disheartenend.

I shall be using this more to keep my spirits up and log how good and bad I am doing....

Lets hope everyone is right by saying that it is water retention- fingers crossed :)

Replies

• amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The weight gain can be any number of things. It's hard to let go of the disappointment when your weight loss/ gain is not what you expected or wanted. I feel for you (been there many times). Perseverance & consistency is the key. I wish you the best! Please friend me if you'd like!
  • aliakat
    aliakat Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi~
    Welcome to MFP! I hope you enjoy your experience here! :)
    Don't be discouraged about your weight gain; remember: muscle weighs more than fat. If you are increasing your tone, you may gain initially while building up your muscle mass.
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It you wasn't exercising much in this area before the weight gain could purely be muscle being built up. I wouldn't weigh yourself too often as hormone changes are also disasterous for gain when you're not expecting it and it is disheartening when you think you have been doing so well.
  • atabt
    atabt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I joined 6 weeks ago and lost 5 lbs in the first couple weeks - mostly water weight, I'm pretty sure. So I have been really good about eating the right number of calories and I have started exercising regularly. I have lost about a pound and a half in the last month...wtf?? On the plus side, I have noticed that my clothes are fitting much better and I can tighten my belt a couple more notches.

So, like you, I am also struggling with not seeing the scale move the way I want it to, but I have learned from the folks on MFP that there are things called "NSVs" or non-scale victories. These are things that make you feel good about what you are doing and the changes in your lifestyle. Like me being able to tighten my belt. I bet you might have experienced your own NSV since you started, if you think about it a bit?

Don't give up. As my husband said to me this morning: "don't worry, hun, it'll come". You can't eat better and move more and not become more healthy and fit, right? So hang in there!

Add me as a friend if you want and we can encourage each other!:happy:

Cheers

A.
  • george1957
    george1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi there, don't be disheartened by the slight weight gain. I've been on MFP for 5-6 weeks and my weight has stayed the same for the last 2 weeks. I excercise a lot more now and although my weight has not changed my clothes are starting to feel a bit looser on me. Infact since I started with MFP I have dropped from a size 37 inch waist to a 36 inch waist. I put my weight down to water retention.
    Best of luck with MFP.
    Feel free to add me to your friends list.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Usually when you start a new work out routine your body retains water to 'protect you' from something new you are doing to it. In a week or two it should go away plus some. C: