The scale and mirror can lie: Water, Stalls and Wooshes

Options
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Summing it up: Fat cells can retain water, even during a massive caloric deficit. You may not notice WEIGHT LOSS, and you may even not look different at all. Then all the sudden, you change and look better/weigh less.

Just one example of why it's important not to ever get discouraged, the body can play tricks on you and you may give up right before you really notice some good losses.

Replies

• stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    my bod totally does this.
  • hsk11270
    hsk11270 Posts: 48
    Options
    yep it's true....I have def experienced this! Thanks for acknowledging
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my body does this as well. I'll go a long time with no scale movement and then all of a sudden, I've lost a bunch and a feel skinner. It's weird..
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me this and I'm starting to think it may be true as I drink maybe a little too much water and I'm seeing no inch or weight loss.

Thanks for this
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, my body does this. It does NOT like losing weight.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Awesome link. I have been at it hard for six weeks, a few bad days here and there but pretty disciplined. I can see muscle development in my arms and shoulders, but my belly is bloated beyond belief. No loss in pounds or inches. Sigh. Gotta keep on keepin on I guess.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Not saying pig out, but if you read into the article, it support that low-carbohydrate diets, prolonged for long periods of time (mainly in very lean people) can stall getting to very lean limits.

You can adapt this to any weight however, because it's still the same science.

Basic message here:
    1) Don't freak about a stall.
    2) It's ok to cheat with some yummy carbs EVERY NOW AND THEN, not all the time! It may help flush water out. Of course, this is only the case if you truly train intensely.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, this validated what I'm going through right now! I'll keep up my hard work! :smile:
  • Raven00
    Raven00 Posts: 67
    Options
    Thank you for this. I have been wondering why I only lost a pound this week and why my tummy feels so bloated even though I have been working out
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    bumping to read after work
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Too true!!!! Some mornings I wake up feeling like I weigh less and that Im slimmer! It is crazy!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, I only lost half a pound last week! But I lost 2 the week before, and 1.5 the week before that. My body seems to go in cycles like that.