Is Cardio enough?

Options
lynzyn
lynzyn Posts: 119 Member
This summer i will be riding my bike to and from work. This equals about 1 hr to and from work up hills through pot hols ect...when i get home i am sweating like a pig. I do some weights 2 times week upper body one day the next lower body ( at home workouts so they don't consist of very much but they do get done) Plus i try to eat as healthy as i can...Is this enough to loose weight? I am not talking massive amounts of weight, but is is enough to have 5-10 pounds come off by the end of summer?

\I didn't loose anything this week and i think i know why, i got so hungry when i got home from work from the bike rides i was ravenous and would eat and have seconds...Not bad foods mind u good foods but i know that isn't good...I should eat supper then around 830 have a small snack and have a snack before i leave work....Now i know and have a plan...

What i want to know is will this plan work? if i take my bike to work at least 3 times a week with 2 weight workouts will the weight come off??? I know iot will take time i know that but will it work??? A little insight would be nice any ideas and such would be appreciated....Thanks

Replies

• jrp31
    jrp31 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, but for me I know it was really a combination of all three- weights/cardio and eating healthier. I lost a little bit with just lifting, and then I lost a little more when I was going through my cardio/weights phase, but it practically fell off with the addition of all three at the same time.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    This will work if you follow the program. Technically, MFP is set up to help you lose weight without exercise. So if you stay at your calorie goal, most likely you should lose weight even if you don't do any exercise. The exercise will help, and will help you be toned at your final weight- you just need to decide what to do with the "exercise calories" you earn (some folks ignore them, some folks eat 1/2 and I always eat most of mine), and you need to be careful about how you log exercise- a HRM is the best way to measure, but not everyone has that luxury- estimations can be way off.

HTH
  • skmath
    skmath Posts: 6
    Options
    bump :)
  • deuce3Degotrip
    Options
    Cardio can be enough... but you will plateau after a while bc your body will get used to the push. I recommend doing the strength training bc 1) you will be buildind definition and 2) your cardio workout will become more manageable. Lastly, be sure to eat right! The 3 put together will always prove the best results!
  • takenbybrandy
    Options
    What does MFP say? Set your goals, follow the calorie plan it sets for you, and you should see results. I lost about 2 pounds a week for about 2 1/2 months without lifting a finger. If you dripping with sweat is not an ideal situation for you to be in at work, then wait until you get home a go for a short ride.
  • lynzyn
    Options
    the thing is i want to ride my bike 3 times a week but sometimes i can't because it rains so i set my goals for 3 30 min workout a week for now that includs 10 min on my stationary bike and weight training
  • lynzyn
    Options
    and all the walking i do too...I walk at lunch to and from the subway ect ect ect
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's not enough for my body. But what you're doing isn't just cardio, so I think you'll be fine!

After about a year of using an elliptical and a recumbent bike, I got to the point that 60 minutes a day didn't do a thing! And I was not anywhere near my goal weight at the time. Now that I do circuit training & kickboxing & a stepper, I get consistent results (except when my eating habits decline -- nutrition, I think, is the most important thing).
  • lynzyn
    Options
    sometimes it is hard cause my finacé works in a warehouse loading trucks and he needs to eat alot of calories and sometimes it is hard not not eat what he eats...I will pick at his plate while i am eating my salad or veggie platter ect....But i hope that taking my bike will help....
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I heard a doctor say one time: "You can't outrun your mouth". Sticking to your calorie deficit is the very most important thing. Cardio and strength training are great and essential for good health, but the calorie deficit is by far the most important of the three for weight loss.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You should look into interval training. You're body DEFNITELY becomes accustomed to cardio. Short bursts of high intensity kick it up a notch and you will lose more body fat that way as opposed to long continuous jaunts on cardio. Mix it up.