For the Runners...

Options
mafery
mafery Posts: 167 Member
I am training for my next half...San Diego RNR June 5th, and I usually do my long runs Saturday and this Saturday I am doing a 11 mile run, but I am running the Coronado Bay Bridge Run Sunday (4 miles) I want to "haul *kitten*" and beat last year's run...8:20 average per pace mile, even if it is only 8:19 hahahah.

My friend said skip the long run, but I am not so sure...

Advice? Anyone? Bueller?? Anyone?

Thanks much!

Replies

• mtntrailrunner
    Options
    which race is more important to you?
  • mafery
    Options
    The half...so there it is there. Thanks :)

And I am also trying for something under 1:57, my last half time. But is it bad to want both? Can you do a long run and then do a fast run the next day?

Or should I do a long run today and then skip Saturday altogether?

Sorry, I run but not to any plan or training....
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I've run into that problem a lot! I will usually re-arrange my schedule to have the race fall on a cut back week. But since you didn't do that, you might want to do a 7 miler on Saturday and then the 4 on Sunday. Or do your 11 miler on Friday if you can swing it.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    And I am also trying for something under 1:57, my last half time.

But is it bad to want both? Can you do a long run and then do a fast run the next day?
    if i were you i'd skip saturday, run the fast 5K on sunday and then do a 5 mile recovery run later in the day (evening)
  • mafery
    Options
    Thanks! I will see about doing a longer run today and skip Saturday, if I am not able to re-arrange that, then plan B. Maybe run more after the Sunday run.

No, I did not think this through... :(
  • mafery
    Options
    I ran Satruday, a nice 3 miler...then ran Sunday the Bridge, the incline this year kicked my booty, I averaged a 8:08 per pace mile beating last year's pace by 12 seconds per mile. Oh well, I will take it. Next year hopefully under 8!
  • frogtox
    frogtox Posts: 36
    Options
    My half marathon PR was set only a few days after setting my 5k PR. If you'ire properly trained, you can handle it. Just rest between the races. : )

Congrats on your race(s)!