Please help me compare calories burned for same exercise

Options
Hi there,
Would a few of you help me to see how MFP calculates calorie burns for an exercise?
When I enter 30 minutes of walking at 4.0 mph, MFP calculates the burn for me at 130 calories.
What does it show for YOU?
Thanks!

I'm 54 years old
Height 5' 2"
Weight 130

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Same here... How tall are you and how much do you weigh? I'm 5' and 115lbs...
  • shrekk218
    shrekk218 Posts: 39
    Options
    30 minutes for 249 calories I am 5'11 221lbs
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Contingent on weight and height. Contrary to popular belief bigger people burn more calories than an "average" size person.....
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 133 lbs. It calculates 151 lbs for me. A bit more than you.
  • melissa0001
    melissa0001 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    237 calories... i am 5'9" and 209lbs
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the figures it shows are based on your current weight. The best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor. They are set to your age, sex, and weight and are much more accurate. I got one and was very surprised that the figures MFP was giving me were very inaccurate....not all of them, but a lot of them.
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    Mine says 259 calories

I'm 5'8" and weigh 228lbs
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I get 163. I'm 5'3 and 144lbs.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the figures it shows are based on your current weight. The best thing to do is get a heart rate monitor. They are set to your age, sex, and weight and are much more accurate. I got one and was very surprised that the figures MFP was giving me were very inaccurate....not all of them, but a lot of them.

I have a HRM and use it to keep track of my workouts. I'm checking on what variances the MFP site puts in for height, weight, sex and age. It's just a research project. Thanks!
    My machine readings and MFP readings are all much higher than I get from my heart rate monitor because my resting heart rate is in the 50's and I recover quickly from exercise.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My machine readings and MFP readings are all much higher than I get from my heart rate monitor because my resting heart rate is in the 50's and I recover quickly from exercise.

50s?? Wow! You must be in great shape and an athlete of some sort. Good for you! Being in the health care profession we are to start CPR if your HR is below 60. Lol!
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options

I agree. Get a HRM, it is much more accurate. If you don't want to invest in one, then be safe and knock 50 to 100 calories off what MFP says. Better to be under than over. Good Luck!
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    162, I am 5' 2 and 143 lbs
  • torregro
    Options
    50s?? Wow! You must be in great shape and an athlete of some sort. Good for you! Being in the health care profession we are to start CPR if your HR is below 60. Lol!

As a P.A. in internal medicine myself, I can tell you that my heart is fine...just a fine tuned piece of equipment that i take really good care of...........no need for CPR! LOL
  • vanfox23
    vanfox23 Posts: 110
    Options
    This is why I invested in a heart rate monitor and log all my exercises manually. I know exactly what I burning with each exercise.
  • torregro
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am NOT concerned about my actual burn doing this particular exercise. I'm trying to see what variances the SITE puts in for people's height, weight, age and sex. It's a research exercise.
    I *do* have a very accurate heart rate monitor.