Talking too much on the machines

Options
Yesterday, a lady got on the Arc Trainer next to me at the gym. I said hello to her, being the Southern lady that I am. :wink: The next thing you know she's carrying on a conversation and asking me questions, while I'm doing interval training and trying to catch my breath to talk. The two machines were at an angle, so I had to look back to talk to her. It was a little annoying. Has anyone else had chatter boxes next to you while working out?

Replies

• destinationparadise
    Options
    I was on the stair climber at the qym one day and I could hardly breath much less talk. The manager came by and started talking to me and I nearly passed out trying to carry on a conversation with him. This is not the time for people to try to socialize.
  • swycoff17
    swycoff17 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, which is why I always bring my IPOD. People are less likely to get into a conversation with you if you have headphones on....even if they're not on. hahaha
  • ShinyFraga
    ShinyFraga Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym right now, but next time you go have some earbuds, even if you aren't gonna listen to music, and make sure all the chatty Kathys see you put them in. :smile: then maybe they won't try talking your ear off.
  • michelletyler38
    michelletyler38 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes, which is why I always bring my IPOD. People are less likely to get into a conversation with you if you have headphones on....even if they're not on. hahaha

Exactly. ;) If they still try to talk to me I pull one ear out & say huh? then they say whatever, I answer & then put the headphone back in & go back on with my workout :)
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    So I chose a gym where i would know no one.. I'm at the gym for a reason, to sweat and work out, not to socialize (I do that plenty elsewhere!) I don't really liked to be looked at while my face is all red, i'm sweating buckets, and trying my best to not fall over, much less talk to somebody!

The worst was when I was doing a strength circuit training.. and there was this guy, who knew EVERYTHING, and he kept talking to anybody that would listen... I tried my hardest to not let him catch my eye.. I lost that battle... i agree with the Ipod thing, I need to get one of those, and quick!!

I don't even like to see my trainer and talk to him when I am not training with him.. Maybe I'm weird...
  • Jspiffy
    Jspiffy Posts: 15
    Options
    Just wear headphones and don't respond to folks haha!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I don't make direct eye contact, and I have headphones not ear buds so it's clear that I'm not here to yap...it happened to me once while I was on the bike and I had to change the times that I went to the gym, thankfully she stopped going...
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like the earphones idea. Unless it's a hot guy, I don't want to talk while working out on the machines. lol....
  • skyblue19912001
    Options
    Yeah, the same thing happend to me yesterday, excpet it was an older man hitting on me....was a little bit...Gross!!!!!!!!!! LOL I just put my music back on and kept going.