Going to the movies! Help!

Options
Tonight I'm going out for dinner and a movie. I'm getting Mexican for dinner so I assume I can have a salad with some salsa, etc. The issue is the movie! What do you snack on at a movie that is still satisfying and enjoyable?

Replies

• emilylaura7
    emilylaura7 Posts: 51
    Options
    take your own snack with you...just put it in your purse! that's what i do anyway :)
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I never snack at movies. Too expensive.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I take my own... carrot sticks and humous!! YUM
  • tallen3687
    tallen3687 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I bring my own popcorn and water. Good Luck!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    The only good thing you could find at a movie theater to snack on would be popcorn, but only if it was air popped which I doubt it is.

Maybe a small pack of nuts if they have any? Otherwise just your own bag in and get a water to sip on.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Does your cinema have those 99 cal fruit smoothie ice creams? I get those if I need something. Otherwise just a large bottle of water.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    twizzlers

can check out this shape article for the editors top choices:
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/on-the-go/eating-out/9-low-cal-semi-healthy-snacks-for-movie-munchies
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are allowed but what about a small popcorn - no butter. This way there are no refills and once it is gone its gone. Also the gummy candy is usually not to bad or plain chocolate (smaller version from drug store). Are there any hard candies you like? Sometimes those aren't too bad and you can suck on them and take your time enjoying them. Good Luck!!
  • deuce3Degotrip
    Options
    I put a Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness in my purse and sip on it throughout the movie... filling, tasty, and healthy!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I usually take a pack of gum- but I'm a gum junky. Or I get some gobstoppers and make sure someone else holds them and I only get one every once in a while.
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I eat nothing at the movies
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Mexican resaurant salads are usually full of oils and thick creams etc....it may actually be better to have a fajita or burrito or tacos!
    Kind of like Pizza Express (UK) the salads have about 200 more calories than the pizzas!! Worth looking online to see what you can have :)
    And movies - get some microwave popcorn and take it with out - it's cheaper, fresher and less calories - BONUS!
  • JenniferO1982
    JenniferO1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself:) If you like popcorn, have a small. If you like candies, get them—but share:)

It's all about moderation.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Get a pretzel with mustard unsalted or hot dog. Stay away from butter if you must have popcorn. And share the small size or better yet get the kids size. No candy or soda though :o( My weakness has always been candy. Enjoy the show! Also eatthis.com has great references on what to order when eating out.
  • pepefifer
    pepefifer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    or, just don't snack at all! People usually finish their snack during the first 15 - 30 minutes anyway - so for most of the movie people aren't eating anyway. It might feel odd at first, but if you have just come from dinner, you shouldn't be hungry anyway. Good luck!
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    Bucket of diet coke, and you're good to go.
    If you must, they usually sell little ice cream bars that aren't much more than 100 calories.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The only good thing you could find at a movie theater to snack on would be popcorn, but only if it was air popped which I doubt it is.

Maybe a small pack of nuts if they have any? Otherwise just your own bag in and get a water to sip on.

What so they pop popcorn with then? I never knew this.
    If I go to the cinema I feel ok having a small popcorn and a diet pepsi/coke. I indulge but as long as I don't over indulge then I'm happy.
    I'd be more worried about the mexican meal!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    sneak in your own butter free popcorn. nothing behind the counter is healthy.
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Options
    Bring a water for a drink and bring your own snack. It you put it in your purse, they don't find it at all :-). I've been doing that for years!
  • doza13
    doza13 Posts: 7
    Options
    I say get a small popocorn and don't add any butter. That should be under 300 calories. Then get a bottle of water and you're good to go. It'll take some time to eat and will be a satisfying movie treat!