Yoga Lovers UNITE!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Is Yoga something I would be able to do not being able to move my hips very well. Intense Strenuous exercise is a no go for me until about 5/6 months time. Will Yoga help me lose weight if I can do a little bit?

Any teacher worth their salt should be able to modify the poses for you.

Will it help you lose weight? Maybe. Any movement is better than no movement.
  • amazingmummy
    amazingmummy Posts: 816 Member
    Can i join please? i am not doing yoga currently but would like to start doing it again. Could anyone recommend any good Yoga dvds I could do at home?
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    I can't get to any classes right now as I can't drive or even walk but I will definitely be thinking about taking this up when I can.
    How accurate is the yoga on wii fit does anyone know?

I heard people fluff a lot in yoga classes, is this true? :laugh:
  • yoginimary

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean do people show off? Sure, I've been to those classes. Not all classes are like that.
  • yoginimary
    Can i join please? i am not doing yoga currently but would like to start doing it again. Could anyone recommend any good Yoga dvds I could do at home?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/241476-yoga-dvd
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean do people show off? Sure, I've been to those classes. Not all classes are like that.

Fluff as in pump as in pass wind, :happy:
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Can any of you recommend a good yoga mat bag for me? I use a mat with a rug and it's pretty bulky when rolled up. I like the idea of the hemp ones at barefoot yoga, but they seem to always be out. Would this manduka one be good? My only worry is that someone might see my bag and expect that I'm actually good, lol!

http://www.manduka.com/us/catalog/categories/products/bags/matsak/
  • yoginimary
    Phoenix - yes, that happens. I'm sure it happens in other classes too, just the music is too loud to hear anything :wink:

atouria - I like this one:
    http://www.yogamartusa.com/Pages/products.html

they aren't cheap, but they are handmade. You could get the manduka one and blot out the logo.
  • amazingmummy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/241476-yoga-dvd
    Thanks will look into them.
  • DanceYogaRun
    Phoenix - yes, that happens. I'm sure it happens in other classes too, just the music is too loud to hear anything :wink:

atouria - I like this one:
    http://www.yogamartusa.com/Pages/products.html

they aren't cheap, but they are handmade. You could get the manduka one and blot out the logo.

Thank you.

I guess I'm hooked on the mandukas. Any similar to that that I should consider?
  • yoginimary
    atouria - do you mean mats or mat bags? The only mat bag I've tried is the one on that web site. I like it because there is enough space for either my maduka or my regular mat - the mats can be folded or rolled, and I can fit my purse, a water bottle and a blanket in there as well.

In my classes, some people use a harness strap - looks like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/YogaAccessories-Yoga-Mat-Harness-Strap/dp/B000MPC5WY/ref=sr_1_6?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1305589043&sr=1-6

The regular bags you see, that zip up - and you have to roll your mat, take a long time to get right.
  • DanceYogaRun
    I want a mat bag. My issue is that I use my mat at home and at the yoga studio, so I don't just leave my mat in my car. The kids snatch it up when it's inside and take the mat one way, the rug the other, lol. Sometimes when it's time to head out, I realize it's not where I left it and I have to go on a hunt. By that time, I'm late and I walk into the studio with a crumpled mess in my hands, LOL.

I was thinking a bag could control the chaos a bit and at least deter the children while keeping the mat a little cleaner.
  • yummygoods
    yummygoods Posts: 32 Member
    Bikram lover here! But I have practiced a bunch of kinds over the last 20 years. Please feel free (any of y'all) to add me as a pal!
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Hey, I started back about a year ago and try to practice 3 - 4 times a week. I mix up my Vinyasa practice with swimming. This has been a tough year for us, yoga helps keep me centered physically and mentally.

Thanks to the practice I had a funny NSV a couple of weeks ago. I was on a 6 hour flight and was able to put my pillow on my knees put and put my head down to sleep. I comfortably slept all the way home. Very cool.

V.
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    I do a Yoga DVD.

My favorite that I have tried this year is the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Yoga Workout DVD. It's awesome!

I get a good sweat going on and I can feel all my muscles at work. It's slow, easy to do, and easy to follow. They have a 25 minute segment and a 45 minute segment. I do either, depending how I feel, every other day (3 times a week).
  • amazingmummy
    I think i am going to try 10 minute yoga dvd. its on netflix. anyone used it?
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    I hear there are lots of yoga dvds on netflix but i cant seem to get them....maybe because i am in canada??
  • amazingmummy
    yes there are a few. but i just have instant access and this 10 minute one is available.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    How accurate is the yoga on wii fit does anyone know?

The good bits w/wii yoga = anything that requires the use of the board is going to be helpful for your balance and centering, it won't really be able to tell if you are keeping your spine aligned front to back but it can tell if you waiver side to side, or in the case of downward dog if you are putting too much weight on your feet and it will correct you. It will also help you to know if you are wiggling so that as you stabalize you can tell that you are by the results.

The bad bits = it can't tell if your knees are in proper alignment. Anything that doesn't use the board is relying on you to keep proper alignment and balance. There is essentially no flow from movement to movement. No matter how well you are doing a posture, everytime you start a pose, it goes through the tutorial... not so good for keeping you warm.

What I want and have yet been able to find is true yoga on Kinect. The "yoga" on Your shape fitness evolved, is actuall tai chi w/some yoga thrown in. Good very gentle aerobics and methods for increasing range of motion in some areas, but not really the stretch, push lactic acid out of the muscles, kind of practice I was looking for.

Anybody know of any good Kinect Yoga to be had?
  • amazingmummy
    Tried the 10 minute one. It is a little fast paced. When i think yoga i think slow and relaxing. i am going to try out the candlelight yoga one from crunch.
This discussion has been closed.