Definition of Meat

Options

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Animal protein = meat. Fish, seafood, poultry, pork, milk, lamb, eggs, anything with fur, that swims, flies, crawls, slithers, etc.. Common definition, muscle or flesh.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I always thought anything that was born with a face qualified as a meat product.
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    maybe people arent as knowledgeable as you folks...judgemental much...?...
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    I always thought anything that was born with a face qualified as a meat product.

WTF?! buahahahah
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Oh, you don't eat no meat? That's ok, I make lamb!

My Big Fat Greek Wedding, classic!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I am a meat eater, but I do have a funny story. **** My disclaimer***** (funny to me)
    I used to work at Mcdonald's- A long long time ago when they had a sandwich called Mclean Delux. A lot of people called it a seaweed burger becasue it had carageenan in it. (for those of you who don't know, it's stuff that comes from seaweed and they use/used to, it in low fat foods to hold it together) So the mclean being so low in fat needed the carageenan in it to hold it togther so it wouldn't crumble. Anywho -- we had this lady that came in ever couple of nights and ordered a mclean deluxe, one day I was walking around in the lobby, and I stopped and talked to her. She asked me what was in the burger, I said what do you mean, she said "what is in it, it tastes so good" I said it's beef, Her eyes completely bugged out of her head. She was a vegetarian and thought she was eating come kind of veggie burger. --- Buyer beware. I still think it is kind of funny. She did say she wasn't a strict vegetarian so it didn't upset her too much.

Still laughing :laugh:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    maybe people arent as knowledgeable as you folks...judgemental much...?...

Yup, I am judgemental. Everyone is, it's a human condition.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    the irritations expressed by vegetarians and picky people in this post are the reason i always double-check when someone says "vegetarian". my response is always, "a real vegetarian? or like a vegan? or like a chick-a-tarian?"

this one time, i didn't ask, and i'd invited a particular vegetarian to a party i was hosting. in order to make sure there would be several things she could eat (because i like it when people eat at my parties. it makes me feel like a good hostess), i ended up modifying an awesome seafood dish into a less-awesome vegetarian version. when i mentioned this during the party, the aforementioned "vegetarian" said, "oh, you didn't have to do that! i eat fish!" to which i replied "then you're not a vegetarian. you're a fishatarian". she was quite upset by my correction. i, on the other hand, am still laughing.

but i've learned my lesson - if i show people that i'm knowledgeable of people's potential specificities, and i ask in a knowledgeable way, they don't get mad. unfortunately, most people are not as cool and educated as me. which, i guess, is the reason for the irritations expressed by the vegetarians and picky people in this post.

BTW, yes, i still use the words chick-a-tarian and fishatarian. i've never yet been corrected or asked to clarify my meanings, even though there are correct words for these terms.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options

I am a meat product.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think it's just easier fo people to say "I'm a vegetarian."

And I think the people who eat fish and birds are probably doing so because, for some reason, it seems better to them than eating mammals. And that's their choice.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Animal protein = meat. Fish, seafood, poultry, pork, milk, lamb, eggs, anything with fur, that swims, flies, crawls, slithers, etc.. Common definition, muscle or flesh.

You got it dude! :flowerforyou:
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    To all those who eat fish, but call themselves vegetarian to make it easier for yourselves, you're in turn making it harder for the real vegetarians to explain that they are vegetarian, and plus, they also don't eat fish either.

It doesn't make much a difference to me because my diet is more complicated than simply being a vegetarian. So I get the loads of questions anyway. I'm somewhat of an orthorexic as well. For example I don't eat chocolate, pizza, french fries, or any condiments. I buy lots of things unsalted and never add salt to anything. I don't drink cow milk (and yes I call almond/soy milk, "milk" even though it technically isn't milk, so you can yell at me for that), but I will eat things that were cooked with milk in it. I do eat eggs from a carton, and when I'm older I plan on having my own pet hens to be my friends and provide me with some eggs.

I absolutely do not think I am better than anyone because of my diet. I do have a little bit more respect for those who research different lifestyles/diets and stick to one that they learned is good for them, even if it means giving something that they love the taste of. And I'm sorry, but I also lose respect for those who give me the comment, "I could never be vegetarian because bacon/tacos/etc. taste so good. To me, that just sounds like, "I don't care about the consequences of my actions as long as I receive a temporary satisfaction from them." I do however, completely respect people's religious beliefs, and those who eat local meat (like salmon in Alaska) because it is more "green" than importing fruit from half a world away.

Again, I do not think I am better than others. I did not give up meat to become a better person, healthier, or to benefit the planet. I gave up meat as part of my crash diet before high school prom, and after a little over a month of not eating it, the thought of eating it again completely grossed me out. Now I have other reasons for staying a vegetarian, but it's personal.

One last thing, I am all for everyone doing what is best for them and not trying to "convert" others. I just really wish people would educate themselves on what they consume and how their body uses it.

EDIT: used the wrong "their." my bad.

Good for you for sticking to what you believe in. Keep on keepin' on...
    :flowerforyou:
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree, fish is meat. But does that mean someone who eats fish should be looked down on? I'm in no way saying this is everyone, but some vegetarians look down on those who eat fish; some vegans look down on vegetarians for eating dairy. Why do we have to have specific names for each different category based on what people do and don't eat? It's a victory for animals anytime someone decides to eat one less meat dish. If someone decides to go meatless for one day a week, it's a victory. To make the greatest impact is to avoid all types of meat, but some people aren't ready for that. I applaud everyone for even the smallest steps. And hope they discover how great it is to be a veggie :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    It seems like a lot of people - not just vegetarians or vegans - use their eating habits as a way to put others down. Like those who eat meat, or conventionally-grown vegetables, or high fructose corn syrup, or whatever are somehow less-then: they are uneducated, don't care about the earth or their bodies, etc...

It's more complicated than that. The food industry is a broken system that makes it incredibly difficult to buy and eat healthy foods. Making other people feel ashamed about their eating habits or the way they label themselves doesn't fix the problem. It just makes someone feel bad. Does that really make you feel good about yourself?

ETA: I also don't see how someone who eats fish but says they're a vegetarian hurts a "real" vegetarian.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Oh, you don't eat no meat? That's ok, I make lamb!

That is one of my favorite movies!

As someone else said, the Catholic church has a pretty long history of not considering fish as meat for whatever reason. So it's not a new idea that appeared out of thin air.

Not saying that fish isn't meat, just saying that there might be a reason, beyond stupidity, that people think that way.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    ETA: I also don't see how someone who eats fish but says they're a vegetarian hurts a "real" vegetarian.
    I was going to say "It's like saying you're a virgin, but you've had oral sex." But I looked up dictionary definitions for virgin and sexual intercourse and my example doesn't seem to work so much anymore. And now I've just caused a lot of awkwardness in my house. :D
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Debate is Great! But please keep it respectful and do not attack or insult others.

Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood mod. :flowerforyou:

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I have curious question. Do vegetarians that eat shark realize how a shark deals with their waste?
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    I agree, fish is meat. But does that mean someone who eats fish should be looked down on? I'm in no way saying this is everyone, but some vegetarians look down on those who eat fish; some vegans look down on vegetarians for eating dairy. Why do we have to have specific names for each different category based on what people do and don't eat? It's a victory for animals anytime someone decides to eat one less meat dish. If someone decides to go meatless for one day a week, it's a victory. To make the greatest impact is to avoid all types of meat, but some people aren't ready for that. I applaud everyone for even the smallest steps. And hope they discover how great it is to be a veggie :)

regarding your 'victory for animals' statements: there are many arguments to both sides, and i'm not gonna try to start the debate cuz you can't change my mind and i can't change yours. but i eat what i eat based on how much i love or hate it. for instance: i LOVE the flavors that you can get out of a chicken. and i will eat chicken two or three times a week because of this. i also happen to believe chickens are mean, dirty, evil animals. and i will eat chicken at least once a week because of this.

you and someone else mentioned that people who eat meat, or conventionally grown crops, etc, are looked down on because of how they eat, like they're uneducated or something. but they might just be people like me who know the risks and are willing to take them until they have the time and money to do otherwise. for some of us, it's not a moral issue. it's a flavor issue.

but (as per the original topic and the main point of your post) that doesn't mean we shouldn't handle each others' tastes and diet preferences with intelligence and respect. i think the labels are kinda dumb, myself, but they help me communicate needs and tastes with the people i feed. and that's important, too.
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    i also happen to believe chickens are mean, dirty, evil animals. and i will eat chicken at least once a week because of this.

Charlie Sheen is a mean, dirty, evil animal. I eat him at least once a week because of this.