Pineapple

Options
Just bought a whole pineapple at the store today and I'm wondering how do I know when it's ripe? I don't want to cut it up before it's ripe.

Replies

• brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    Take a sniff! Does it smell like ripe pineapple - if yes, then it is! I embarass my husband and perform the sniff test in the grocery store - picking ones that have some golden yellow to them. :happy:
  • w769irs
    w769irs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    try pulling at the leaves.
    if the leaves come off fairly easy, then it is ready to go.
  • USAFwifey12
    USAFwifey12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    try pulling at the leaves.
    if the leaves come off fairly easy, then it is ready to go.

^^^ This. The smell test works also but it hard to tell sometimes. The leaves should come right out with a slight pull. If you're having to struggle it's not ripe.
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    Thanks guys. Now I know. :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If it's more dark green then yellow/brown still not ripe. I buy pineapples then cut them about 2 days later. The sniff test is best plus if it’s not rock-hard.
  • rowanctg
    rowanctg Posts: 7
    Options
    you judge a ripe pineapple by the smell and the color. Don't wait too long, though! I wait until most of the green background color has turned to gold, and the pineapple is still firm. In our house, that's just a few days after bringing it home from the store. once it's cut, if you have eaten or used it all, it can be refrigerated and it will keep for a few days (but, truthfully, once cut, this family eats it all in one day).

and as an aside, do remember that fresh pineapple shouldn't be added to any gelatin dish, as the enzymes in the pineapple will prevent the gelatin from setting, you need to cook it first. and by the same token, fresh pineapple juice can be used in a marinade to tenderize meat....
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    actually pineapples are harvested already ripe.. so you are already good to go though most will last a few days on the counter, uncut, before they start to deteriorate *S*
    i use the smell and leaf pulling test before i buy one just to double check *S*
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    After I cut up the pineapple, I will freeze any that's uneaten after a couple of days.
  • SPelish
    SPelish Posts: 1
    Options
    I ALWAYS!!! use the leaf pull test and make sure I cut it up within 48 hours. My wife never buys a pineapple without me and we always have sweet pineapples. Just an amazing trick I learned a long time ago from my third set of grandparents (very close family friends). These same people also taught me to save the top and plant your own pineapple plant. I remember growing up in Florida and they always had about 10 pineapple plants in their yard. BTW when you do the pull test make sure it is the inner most leaf you are pulling and I basically try to lift the pineapple by this leaf. If it barely lifts up before pulling out then you have an awesome pineapple. Enjoy