The gym and some observations...

Options
redfroggie
redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
I go to my district council leisure centre. This is a very affordable option for me. In my short time I have observed a few things and thought I would see if anyone else notices the same things.

First of all at the back of the gym is where all the free weights and cable weight machines are. This area is always occupied mostly by men. I need to work on my bingo wings so I always head there first for 15 minutes of strength workouts. Now mind you I am not very 'attractive' in my sweat pants and oversized tee shirt, hair in a ponytail and sometimes glasses (if I'm just too lazy to put my contacts in). However when they realise I am wandering into their territory they all 'puff' up and kinda do the rooster walk.
It's the strangest thing! Now if a young, fit female wanders in, not only do they puff but then you see them increase the exercises or switch to bigger weights. I even saw a guy change to bigger barbells and nearly killed himself. Is it self conscious or do guys know they are doing this? Is it all very primeval?

Also when I get on the elliptical and am sweating and looking like a cardiac patient, the smallest, cutest girl will get on the one next to me and mind you there are 40 empty machines. Is this an effort to make yourself look better??? I know that when I go to select a machine I stay away from the users that are sweating, I don't want anything to hit me!

Replies

• Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In my case the guy with the HEAVIEST cologne possible will get on the machine next to me and just sprint out 2 miles in like 12 minutes. GAGGING me the whole time.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Total bump, going to read after work if I remember. Love gym threads.. since I work out at home they entertain me. :D
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I always try to go directly beside someone so I don't make it impossible if 2 people come in together and want to be beside each other. Nothing worse than when someone is on every other machine.

I think guys puff up when there are women. I don't think the place matters much!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    sorry, nothing to add... other than that the guys TOTALLY hog the weights equipment. I generally stick to cardio and get in my muscle building swimming. but I want to bump this to read later. I also love gym threads. The gym and the grocery store are the only places I every go! :laugh: :laugh:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I'd say the cute little girl just wants to hang out with the cool people.

As far as the guys, we're just trying to impress the cool girls.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add too, that I think my gf is sexiest when she is in sweatpants, a t shirt and her hair in a pony tail. I LOVE simple. I HATE painted on faces. They usually look like someone shot a wolf in the face with a 12 guage the next morning.
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well, all I have to say is that the other day I went for my first day on the elliptical and this guy gets on the machine next to me. I'm about 5 - 6 minutes into it and he starts pooting. I couldn't breathe and gave up. Fortunately, when I went back the next day he wasn't there so I was able to do 33 minutes.
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Today at my gym there were these two younger fit girls working out, well hardly. They were on the elliptical going super slow, then 10 min later they went on the treadmill walking super slow again, they were chit chatting. All the while I was sweating my butt off on the elliptical levell 10, LOL. Later they were in the stretching/weight lifting area where I was, again sweating my butt of doing squats, lunges, skipping etc and they were stretching for about 15 min or so. Then I heard one girl said that this was the hardest workout she has done, she didn't even break a sweat. I am thinking to myself, really?? WTF?? Oh and I was at the gym before them. They caught my eye because they were going so slow on the elliptical. Who goes that slow on a cardio machine............