Two-small bicycle?

Options
Hey all you bike-riders: question about bike size here. Long story short, I've been biking at the gym on a stationary bike twice a week with no problem. However, when I took my bike out of the shed for the first time in...over a year...I found that it's REALLY difficult. I'm 5'6" and 23, and riding the bike I rode as a teenager. Whenever I ride it, I find that my thighs are in excruciating pain, and even slight inclines are exceedingly difficult. Could this be because of the size of the bike? I get the feeling that my legs aren't extending as far to the pedal as they should, and I'm wondering if this could be the cause of why I find riding this thing so taxing! Any thoughts?

Replies

• ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    take your bike to a bike shop make sure it is the right size and that it is adjusted for you. your legs should be nearly fully extended at the bottom of the stroke. Also I noticed that my body sits differently on my bike instead of stationary which puts dif. forces on your muscles, and you still have to maintaine balance and other things not required on stationary. I get a much better work out on my mountain bike over a stationary. good luck
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my legs are definitely not extended almost the whole way when I pedal. Thank you!