cholesterol, and high triglycerides.

Options
Iv'e battled with high cholesterol, and high triglycerides for years and i tried to eat better and exercise and it never helped, I think alot of it is family history. So about 4 years ago my Dr. put me on meds and they did lower my numbers but not enough, so I started here at MFP in March and in 50 days i've lost 12 pounds from 175 to 163.

I have started eating oatmeal or whole grain/multi grain cereal with skim milk 2 meals a day because they say these help with high cholesterol, I know there carbs but I think there concidered complex carbs? Anyways I'm not getting the proper amount of protein, I do eat fish and white chicken but still low on protein. Any suggestions on something besides meat that would get my protein numbers up?

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Try getting some protein through plant-based food as they have no additional cholesterol. Lentils are a fantastic source of proten and fiber!
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thank you efconroy
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use Benecol yoghurt drinks and yoghurt, Flora Pro-Active milk and spread. They are meant to help lower when taken. About to take my next test, so will know then if they really do work...
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    Thank you V44V for your input
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    I am also on Lipitor and hope to come off of it soon. I found that drinking soy milk in replacement of all other milk has eliminated that portion of cholesterol.
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    Thank you donbet69, I was on a statin and now on TRICOR
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond milk instead of regular or soy, and loooove it. When I was at my heaviest, I had high triglycerides and high cholesterol. I cut out ALL soda, pretty much ALL fast food, all high fructose corn syrup, and got to exercising. When I retested about 4 months later, the numbers had gone back to normal. I hope you are able to get off those medications with a healthy diet! :-)
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    Thank you Losingitin2011 , that gives me hope ;)