Advice for a new runner please!

Options
elizamc
elizamc Posts: 285 Member
I started jogging almost two months ago. I didn't start on C25K because I couldn't run that far - 30seconds tops when I started. I have now built up to two minutes running and 45-60secs walking for around 6k+ which is about 40mins of running. I run roughly every other day and walk on non run days. Most of my running is on the road but have found that I can run for longer on the treadmill and can run for 15 mins without a break (6.5mph, 1%incline). The longest run I've done on the treadmill is 50mins (split time with brief walking intervals.)

I am now looking at different programmes to help me progress but they would mean that even if I join further into the programme - I will still clock up less running time than I do now. What should I do?! Carry on as I am gradually increasing or run 3 times a week as per chosen programme.

I should also mention that I've never been a runner, am middle-aged and a well controlled but chronic asthmatic. I find my breathing is better on the treadmill than the 'road' - but want to master road running.

Thanks for reading this!

Shirley

Replies

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Shirley,
    Hi! Long distance runner here.. You SHOULD do the C25K Program. That's exactly what it's for. It's for people who don't run at all and build them up to a 5K. It's a WONDERFUL program. I think in the beginning it only has you running for 30-40 seconds at a time anyway. You should give it a shot.
  • Mom2Ryleigh
    Options
    I am currently training for my first marathon. I have done half marathons in the past but never really trained and I am not an experienced runner. I have learned from other runners on Team in Training that they do a "run/walk" to help improve time and endurance before the marathon. So instead of running straight...they run 3 minutes/walk 1 minute to start and increase their time. That may help...no need to feel like you have to run everything straight through especially in the beginning. Just doing something consistently will really build you up.
  • elizamc
    Options
    So you think I shouldn't fret over not doing such long runs? I've worked so hard to build up my stamina I don't want to lose it!!

Thanks for your encouragement!
  • agilegazelle
    Options
    I would agree with doing C25K. If you feel like that isnt working you high enough, you can go up to the next level which is the bridge to 10k program :)
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    I didn't know about the C25K when I started running - wish I did!
    I have a P.T that I still see once a week and have joined a Womens running club - this has improved my stamina greatly. I would recommend looking for something like this locally. Running on the treadmill is soooooo much easier than running outside so you are right to have a goal to run outside - especially in the spring and summer months.
    Sorry what was your question again?!! Have a look at my profile and if you think I can help you to run 'friend request' me.

Best of luck with your running whatever you decide.

Alison
  • dfranks43
    dfranks43 Posts: 18
    Options
    Its important on your days in between to do some other form of exercise. Crosstraining helps you improve your stamina too. I just started training for a 5k and like you can only run for a few minutes. The crosstraining is helping though.
  • rkquade
    rkquade Posts: 17
    Options
    You can see if any running stores in your area offer begining runner programs. If not, there are lots of training plans out there, depending on your goal. Hal Higdon has good plans for people new to running that have race goals, if that is a goal you would like to attain. John Bingham is also a good author to look into. There is a book called Run Less, Run Faster that is meant for the advid runner working on improving their pace (make Boston), but it has some 5k and 10k plans that are structured in a way that works on building strength, lung capacity, speed. The programs might be beyond where you are today, but it is good model - running with a purpose 3 days a week, not just to run (often referred to as junk miles). It can help you progress to more miles pretty quick, even if you do the long, steady state runs as a run walk. Best of luck to you!
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great achievement!

I think you can follow a structured programme from the start, even if it means overall less run time as long as you keep the frequency.
    Is a bit like re-group and consolidate, you just try to work a bit harder than longer.

And you can also keep the long run, (if you like) and substitute the longest run on the plan with your current time.

On the other runs, if it suits you, you can aim at improving running on the road with the time specified in the plan.
    See how that works for you and either aim at 1 or both other runs on the road.

A set programme is very good to help motivate and aim at something, but it is not necessary the right size for each of us.

Keep walking in your non running days, it is great for your recovery and will keep you injury free. Once you have mastered the road then you might feel that you like other activities on non running days, but that is good for now! And very sensible ;-)

Whatever you do, make sure is not a too big change in one go.
    One new change at the time, and eventually everything is changed to the next level.

Best of luck!
  • elizamc
    Options
    Great advice - thank you all so much! :smile:

I had been thinking about getting my bike out and serviced as I thought it might help me keep my stamina up if I reduce the running. So that fits in with the cross-training advice! Will def do this.

I found a local running club that do beginners courses but they are full for this year and the chairman was very encouraging but said I wasn't yet at the level where I would be able to keep up with even the slower runners as they all run further than I'm at at present - and he also sent me their training programme with an invite to join them once I've completed it! I need to investigate other clubs further. (But I am slow lol, will def be right at the back of a group!)

I've ordered the book - sounds really helpful.

I have entered my first 5k in July so have a goal to aim for, hence the persevering on the road.
  • elizamc
    Options
    Great achievement!

I think you can follow a structured programme from the start, even if it means overall less run time as long as you keep the frequency. Is a bit like re-group and consolidate, you just try to work a bit harder than longer.

And you can also keep the long run, (if you like) and substitute the longest run on the plan with your current time.
    On the other runs, if it suits you, you can aim at improving running on the road with the time specified in the plan.
    See how that works for you and either aim at 1 or both other runs on the road.
    A set programme is very good to help motivate and aim at something, but it is not necessary the right size for each of us.

Keep walking in your non running days, it is great for your recovery and will keep you injury free. Once you have mastered the road then you might feel that you like other activities on non running days, but that is good for now! And very sensible ;-)

Whatever you do, make sure is not a too big change in one go. One new change at the time, and eventually everything is changed to the next level.

That's really helpful advice re blending my current skill level in with one of the programmes. I have increased really slowly - by 15secs a time actually (!!) - my lungs couldn't cope with too big a jump lol. I tend to only go into the gym if I'm running in the evening and the air quality is poor or the humidity high. Though really ought to be introducing some strength training as apart from Pilates twice a week I'm not doing any.

I do feel really chuffed at my achievement - just never believed I could do it!
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    About cross trining, riding a bike is a good way. It takes stress off your feet/legs. I try to run, bike or walk every day. Also just added swimming, because I am working towards my first mini (spirnt) triathlon.

BTW, I am a mild asthmatic also (exercise induced). I usually take a couple shots from my inhaler before I exercise and I am good to go.
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    Shirley,
    Hi! Long distance runner here.. You SHOULD do the C25K Program. That's exactly what it's for. It's for people who don't run at all and build them up to a 5K. It's a WONDERFUL program. I think in the beginning it only has you running for 30-40 seconds at a time anyway. You should give it a shot.

I totally agree. I think the C25K program is a great one. It starts you out slow enough so that you avoid injury which is a very common thing for new runners. I think you are off to a great start and your determination is amazing! Keep at it! You will get there, I promise!