Running on treadmill-how far will I run outside?

Options
Eskimopie
Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
So after three weeks of training, I can currently can run a bit over a mile on a treadmill at 1 % incline at 5.5 mph. Then I'll walk at 3.7 or so for a few minutes, then run another half mile, then break, then one more.

Any ideas how long I can run outside for? A friend wants me to do Bay to Breakers (a crazy, awesome race in San Francisco) with her on Sunday! It's 7 miles so I certainly won't (and obviously can't) run the whole thing, but I'd also like to not totally embarrass myself...

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    As long as you do the run walk intervals you should be fine. It will be a lot of fun.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    If you don't minc take a run 5 min walk 1 or 2 min approach...or a run/walk when you need to. It does not sound like you are adequately trained for a 7 mile race so I would think there would need to be a lot of walking...of which it can still loads of fun...no one else will care what you are doing so it will be impossible to make an *kitten* of yourself
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Running outside is TOTALLY different than running inside on the treadmill...not sure why..but it is..I would slow your pace down for the run outside..that way maybe you could make the mile even tho your going slower?? I have yet to be able to go outside and compare what I can do on treadmill to what I can do outside...but I DO know that it is VERY different...so don't get discouraged if you can't run a mile....Good Luck! And Have a blast! Keep doing the intervals and you'll do great!!!
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Oh yeah, my training is for a 5k race at the end of July...this is seperate and just for fun. It isn't really a race, more of a party/booze fest that thousands of people dress up for, or go to naked (It's San Francisco, don't ask.) Most people don't even register and just show up in costumes and such. I'm just going with a super fit friend and would like to run even a little bit, but not sure if I can even manage that!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    don't worry... there are so many people at Bay to Breakers, you'll walk a lot of it!!!! And you will run way farther - my experience - outside than on the treadmill.

Have fun and stay warm Sunday... supposed to rain!!!!

L>
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I was doing the same thing and today I went outside and ran 2 miles.... I thought it was easier then the treadmill. Go for it!
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Interesting that some think the treadmill is easier and others think outside is! How odd...
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    Interesting that some think the treadmill is easier and others think outside is! How odd...

Try some interval training... 1/2 mile walk on 3% incline then 1/2 mile jog on 0% incline... go back and forth and cool down the last 1/2 mile. don't worry about pace in the end.
    I do the Jillian michaels 5K training on my TM with Ifit and its a lot of interval training.

The weird thing is everyone thinks that outside is harder but inside so far for me with warmups and cool downs I get a 14 minute mile..with the training program,. but when I was outside the other day my gps said I was 14 min. mile on 1st and on second was a 12 minute mile.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    I find running on a TM way harder than outside. For a start its BORING!!

Seriously though outside due to weather and obtacles you'll very your stride length rather than keeping it constant, there is alot happening around you - people, scenary etc. that it takes your mind off running and before you know it you are eating up the miles.

I'd definately go for it - but just careful - you should increase your distance by around 10% a week, it prevents injury. So if your superfit friend decides to go at a pace that you are not comfortable with don't try and keep up with her - its not worth it. Even running with others - they can help keep you going and staying motivated but you do need to run your own race.
  • Eskimopie
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I surprised myself and ended up running a whole 2.5 miles at one time, and about 4 miles total (plus 3 miles of walking.)

Of course, I pulled a muscle in my side! It's almost healed now though. I guess all the advice about only increasing by 10 percent a week is very true...