does your weight loss come in fits and spurts? (no pun, real

Options
So i switched up my goals from 1 lb to 2 lbs lost pe week. I know that is more than is "recommended" but im a big girl and it won't hurt me at all to lose a couple pounds a week for a couple of months. Partly i wanted to see if i could do it and partly i wanted to see if it would happen. So im doin really good on my calories most days (went way over a couple of days, but went way under enough days for it to balance out) and getting to the gym and exercising most days. For 10 solid days, no matter what i did or didn't do, the number on the scale was 239.5. No matter what. I got REALLY good at looking at the scale every day (that was one of my goals for this month) but all it did was frustrate me. Then, on the 11th day, i got on the scales and BAM! 237.5. Happy dance ensues. Maybe im just going to lose 2 lbs every ten days. Okay, i can live with that. I can do it. That's great progress. So, day 12 (today) i get on the scales. yesterday was a completely normal day. Went to the gym, stayed within my calories, the whole bit. and the scale today says....... 236.5. So I hold for 10 days, then in 2 days drop 3 pounds.

Here's my question --- is this normal and is this what a lot of you experience??? Instead of hopping on the scales every monday and seeing a pound (or whatever your goal is) gone on a steady basis, does your weight stay stable (or heaven forbid, go up) for several days in a row, and then drop one, two, three, four pounds in a couple of days?

Replies

• lisabeavers
    Options
    So i switched up my goals from 1 lb to 2 lbs lost pe week. I know that is more than is "recommended" but im a big girl and it won't hurt me at all to lose a couple pounds a week for a couple of months. Partly i wanted to see if i could do it and partly i wanted to see if it would happen. So im doin really good on my calories most days (went way over a couple of days, but went way under enough days for it to balance out) and getting to the gym and exercising most days. For 10 solid days, no matter what i did or didn't do, the number on the scale was 239.5. No matter what. I got REALLY good at looking at the scale every day (that was one of my goals for this month) but all it did was frustrate me. Then, on the 11th day, i got on the scales and BAM! 237.5. Happy dance ensues. Maybe im just going to lose 2 lbs every ten days. Okay, i can live with that. I can do it. That's great progress. So, day 12 (today) i get on the scales. yesterday was a completely normal day. Went to the gym, stayed within my calories, the whole bit. and the scale today says....... 236.5. So I hold for 10 days, then in 2 days drop 3 pounds.

Here's my question --- is this normal and is this what a lot of you experience??? Instead of hopping on the scales every monday and seeing a pound (or whatever your goal is) gone on a steady basis, does your weight stay stable (or heaven forbid, go up) for several days in a row, and then drop one, two, three, four pounds in a couple of days?
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have the same issues. I weigh everyday, same time, etc. just to stay on track. But one day I will weigh & have lost 1 maybe 2 pounds then the next day be up again. I think a lot is sodium for me & not drinking enough water. I'm running everyday so maybe I'm gaining a little muscle too which would weigh more. It get's frustrating but my high weight is constantly going down. I used to fluctuate between 210-215 a month ago. Now I'm moving between 199-202. So I don't worry as long as my high weight is going down.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I will have a few days in a row where I lose a pound or 2 and then the next day I will gain back at least one of them. Then I will seem to hold this for a week or so and then lose a few more. This cycle seems to be the norm for me. I have to keep telling my self I weigh less then when I started and if I look at the graph thing it does have a downward trend. The other thing I keep telling myself is I am eating better and exercising so even if my weight stayed the same I know I am better off physically.

So just keep doing what you are doing and try to look at the long term picture. It took us all a long time to put the weight on and it will take time to get it back off. This is a journey to change your lifestyle(Eating, exercise) the weight loss and better health are just added benefits.
  • sussemaus
    sussemaus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HI!!! i have this same problem. i weigh everyday to keep myself motivated. i so am one of those people who need to see progress on the scale. i weigh in kilos (i live in germay.) so i am trying to lose a kilo a week which is about 2 pounds. before i went on vactions i did really good, but as you said i noticed the pattern of a couple days holding, a day one pound up, and then the next two gone. i don't know if that is normal or not, but i know it is great motivation for me! too much up and i really get the movtivation to scale back my cals that day and if i lose some it is great motivation not to give up! :laugh:
  • lisabeavers
    Options
    thanks guys. so, ill just move the scale away from the wall so its not quite so easy to beat my head against it in frustration :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. so, ill just move the scale away from the wall so its not quite so easy to beat my head against it in frustration :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have now moved my scale into the back room. I am really trying to go by Banks suggestion and only weigh in biweekly. So far it hasnt happened....but I am fighting the urge to go....weigh....my......self :ohwell: didnt work-up a pound.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

I have now moved my scale into the back room. I am really trying to go by Banks suggestion and only weigh in biweekly. So far it hasnt happened....but I am fighting the urge to go....weigh....my......self :ohwell: didnt work-up a pound.

I abso REFUSE to step on the scale any MORE than 1 time per week! And that's only to make da wiff happy. If it was up to me, I wouldn't do but a couple times a month. I prefer to go by how my pants fit, and how I feel. :flowerforyou: Seeing each day where I didn't drop a pound would be a recipie for disaster, for me. So I'm taking it slow and easy....
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in on Sundays now and I am loosing 2 lbs a week now. I walk almost every night and I use my exercise ball with hand weights the other nights I don't walk, and YES, I am on Alli!!! It is great for ME!!! I used to loose weight in spurts and get motivated in spurts and weigh my food and count my calories and good and bad fats. Now all I do is READ labels!!!!! I back off all the crap and "pre" foods.......
    I have started increasing my food budget a bit to buy whole and natural foods as well.....

I am finally loosing instead of talking about it and I have stopped worring all the time. My clothes are looser with just 1 1/2 inch and 6 lbs gone.

don't ever give up, it will happen!
  • JosieCan
    Options
    I have read that weight fluctuates daily so you should only weigh yourself once a week or even less frequently.

My weight loss was about two pounds a week until I got sick so I think that can be okay.

I would just keep off the scale until the same time each week to avoide disappointment. Also it helps to weigh yourself in the morning. I always do so before I get dressed as if my Pjs are lighter than clothes...I know that really does not make a difference but it makes me feel better. :wink:

Good Luck
    Josie
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yup, the same happens to me.
    And I too, am a get on the scale every day person.
    Can't help it!
    I only lose like 4-5 pounds a month. Can't seem to lose any more than that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

perfect example. Yesterday I was p-o'd cuz I was up another pound, today I finally dropped to 151. I am logging that...cant stop me.

NOW I promise not to get on the scale until next monday at 8 am