Not losing any weight

Options
I have been logging my calories since May first, I believe, and I haven't lost any weight. I know last weekend was horrible because I was on vacation and out of town.. and kind of went crazy (but had a good time doing it). I've made my diary public for this post, in case anyone has advice? I know I go over some days, but not by much.. I try not to eat all of my exercise calories back. I'm paranoid that MFP's calories burned calculator is off or something. I just want to start seeing the scale go down.. I feel like I'm failing because my weight has stayed the same.

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Its only been 2 weeks... I wouldnt freak out that much! Drink water!
  • feliciapeters
    feliciapeters Posts: 525
    Options
    After a quick look I'd say alittle more on the calories, less carbs, more protein, less sodium and LOTS more water
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It has only been 13 days but I understand the frustration, I would drop the calories by 50-100 each week to see if that helps. Making sure you don't go under 1200. Try to be more consistant with the calories as well, you may be confusing your body with all the ups and downs. I didn't check your water but make sure you are getting in the 64 oz of WATER! Maybe change up the exercise routine.

It will shake lose! Don't worry! Be strong and IT WILL HAPPEN!
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Someitmes it can take a few weeks before you start to see results. Hang in there!
  • Thexplodingirl
    Options
    More water, less sodium, more potassium (always!)
    Also it's important to eat your exercise calories back or you may be putting your body into starvation mode. I would go out and get a hrm immediately if you don't already have one, relying on what mfp says might be throwing you off, in which case I think I would rather just not exercise that day so I have an accurate calorie count.
  • mmaboydwechanged
    Options
    Did you measure yourself before you started? I bet you lost inches. The weight will come off in the next couple of weeks.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged. It took me 3 weeks before the scale moved. Just as I was about to lose all motivation and quit, I dropped 3 pounds.

Based on my body, I know that the exercise calorie calculator overestimates the total calories burned. I know this because I usually use a heart rate monitor and can compare. I always lower the calorie burned value (even if I don't use the heart rate monitor) so that it is more realistic.
  • justinasharp
    Options
    Don't skip meals. It seems like a number of days there is a meal that gets skipped for high calorie breakfasts or dinners. I don't know what you're doing for exercise, but that is a lot of calories burned a day. Are you doing and hour and a half or more daily? Keep it up, it's a math equation, it has to work.
  • Earthmom2018
    Earthmom2018 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh boy I've been there. Watch your salt intake. I know for me when the weather gets warm I retain a lot of water. Hang in there and write everything you put in your mouth. Even the tasting spoonfulls. Put your food on a small plate and make 75% veggies.
    Looks like you have a little angel to take care of. Remember to take some time for yourself. Being a Mom is a Hard Job....
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat back half of your exercise calories? MFP's burn calculator is always really high, so I tend to log about 60% of what it suggests, then eat that back and try to leave about 100 calories everyday. (That doesn't always work, though, haha!)

Your diary looks fine, except the water, of course. But drinking water won't magically make you lose either. It'll just help stave off water retention, which leads to a false sense of weight gain.

Did you just start exercising? Or have you been doing it awhile? If the exercising is new, that might be causing some swelling, which may be offsetting anything you've lost. Give it time. And try measuring. Sometimes fat loss doesn't equal weight loss, but it's still fat loss!

Hang in there!
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories, but you should invest in a HRM (heart rate monitor) to get an accurate calorie burn. MFP bases your calories burned on your current weight, age and sex. That is not very accurate. Up your water, lower your sodium, and keep a smile on your face. Lots of sleep also helps. Try to get 8 hours a night. The weight will come off, just stay positive and keep logging your calories. You can do this, don't quit :)
  • smbakke77
    smbakke77 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I agree about lowering the sodium and increasing water...I only looked at a couple of days but I think you need to up your calories a bit and maybe cut out the soda? Easier said than done but that may help as well.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks you've gone 'crazy' on a weekend and 'over' a few days??

I'm not meaing to sound anything but helpful here, but if you dont put consistent effort in you wont lose weight. It's hard! You can play at it for months and you wont lose a lb. Ask me, I do that all the time!!! :laugh: Or you can get serious and be consistent and you'll lose. That's consistent for weeks on end!! Not even much point in being good during the week and letting go at weekends :grumble: In order for me lose pounds I have to stick at it for a month at a time...........THEN let go a bit :wink:

You lose 1lb if you stay in 500 cal deficit EVERY day for SEVEN days! Its not a perfect science, but that is your starting point......

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I feel that I am under on sodium most days, but I definitely have not been drinking enough water. I don't eat when I'm working, so I have 2 meals and some snacks most days. It's my niece in my photo, btw! No kids for me just yet. I don't work out at the gym, but I just log my shifts at work as walking for x number of hours at a slow pace, because I know I am burning calories at work, I just have no other way of logging them. I definitely should go to the gym more, I just don't always have the motivation, especially after being on my feet for 6 hours.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options

I'm not meaing to sound anything but helpful here, but if you dont put consistent effort in you wont lose weight. It's hard! You can play at it for months and you wont lose a lb. Ask me, I do that all the time!!! :laugh: Or you can get serious and be consistent and you'll lose. That's consistent for weeks on end!! Not even much point in being good during the week and letting go at weekends :grumble: In order for me lose pounds I have to stick at it for a month at a time...........THEN let go a bit :wink:

You lose 1lb if you stay in 500 cal deficit EVERY day for SEVEN days! Its not a perfect science, but that is your starting point......

This was a planned vacation before I started trying to lose weight/MFP. I knew before hand that I'd most likely end up not following through with my calories, etc. It's not a big deal, really. Vacations aren't a regular part of life, they are so rare.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

This was a planned vacation before I started trying to lose weight/MFP. I knew before hand that I'd most likely end up not following through with my calories, etc. It's not a big deal, really. Vacations aren't a regular part of life, they are so rare.

I wasnt criticising the vacation hun, was just answering yor question as to why you hadn't lost any weight. I totally advocate vacations and living life - absolutely 100% :bigsmile: . Just saying that you shouldnt expect to lose weight if you dont follow the above formula. Like today, I'm off to meet mates and I know I'm going to go over my cals by drinking too much wine! :laugh: But then, come weigh in, I won't be surprised if I've gained. Thats all I'm saying :flowerforyou: