"EAT" Your Exercise Calories?

Options
SJHiker
SJHiker Posts: 32 Member
So, Why does MFP (and many posts) all say we should "eat" our exercise calories, but "rewards" us by announcing when we are under our daily calories? I feel good when I see that I've stayed under the calories and like seeing the announcement. I also like the pat on the back from my friends. However, I also agree that that's not the healthiest way to reach our goals.

Starvation mode is never a good idea. I see many, many people that should be heading in the starvation mode direction. For example: I see a goal of ~1200 daily calories, exercise of 500 calories, (that should mean 1700 calories consumed for a net of 1200). But, then a daily total of only 900 calories actually consumed. WTH! That means they have a net of only 400cals for that day. AND we get an announcement in our praises. Hmm? I'm just wondering.

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I wish they had a few more options on here...maybe in the future after the site's more developed?

if you are too far under calories you do get a message saying you didn't consume enough calories for the day...I forget what the number is that you have to be under, but I accidentally hit my "complete diary" button too soon one day and saw a message that said I had not consumed enough calories...
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    You will get a praise-worthy announcement if you're under your goal, but if you're too far under, you'll get the famous MFP lecture. :)

Lol, like photogrrl said.
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    i always try to stay within 25 of my goal, whether it's over or under. it will warn you if you are too far under.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    If you have a goal of 1200 calories per day, and you exercise burning 500 calories you will still receive the positive message when you have eaten anywhere between 1200-1699 calories.

MFP leaves it up to us to 'eat' our exercise calories or not. It never officially suggests that we "should."

I like it that way. :smile:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    As long as you EAT 1200 cals, it won't warn you about eating too few calories, no matter how much you exercise. In general, creating too large of a calorie deficit every day over a long period of time can put you in starvation mode. A day here or there will not be that detrimental.

In general I advocate eating exercise calories. However, since I'm aiming for a higher deficit than the 500 calories MFP already created (my personal goal is a deficit of 700 calories) I don't eat back 200 of my exercise calories. Anything I burn over 200, I eat back.

Why 700? I heard Jillian Michael's mention on her talk show in the episode "Debunking the Plateau" - free on itunes - that this is the "sweet spot" deficit for fat loss. I trust JM, she seems to know her stuff.

Hope this makes sense.
  • sswift76
    sswift76 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to eat the extra calories you burn? Isn't that the point, to get rid of them??
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Personally I don't lose weight if I eat back anything more than 1/2 of my exercise calories I also didn't lose weight if I don't eat any of them. When I stick to eating back 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories I lose weight steadily.
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ellie, if I eat them all back I don't lose weight and If I dont eat any I don't feel well. I stick to about 1/2 or 1/3 depending on what my body tells me.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    As long as you EAT 1200 cals, it won't warn you about eating too few calories, no matter how much you exercise. In general, creating too large of a calorie deficit every day over a long period of time can put you in starvation mode. A day here or there will not be that detrimental.

In general I advocate eating exercise calories. However, since I'm aiming for a higher deficit than the 500 calories MFP already created (my personal goal is a deficit of 700 calories) I don't eat back 200 of my exercise calories. Anything I burn over 200, I eat back.

Why 700? I heard Jillian Michael's mention on her talk show in the episode "Debunking the Plateau" - free on itunes - that this is the "sweet spot" deficit for fat loss. I trust JM, she seems to know her stuff.

Hope this makes sense.

No offense to you, Wife, but I have to say, I'm getting a bit frustrated with this. I've seen several people mention this. I have no great love for JM, but she has inspired a lot of people, and that's great. She does have some good info, but she is also not the best source of info for nutritional info (ie calorie levels, deficits, etc).

However, this "sweet spot" is WAY over-generalized and not at all applicable to everyone. I haven't heard the podcast, so I don't know if people are missing something or if JM qualified this statement or neglected to mention it... But there is NO "one-size-fits-all" deficit that is a "sweet spot" for everyone.

The appropriate deficit for a person is dependent on several factors, including height, weight, age, activity level, and exercise level (or, more specifically BMR, activity level, BF% and exercise level). Someone with 15 lbs to lose CANNOT and should not have the same deficit as someone with 50 or 100 lbs to lose. Someone with 15 lbs to lose needs a very conservative deficit; someone with 100 lbs to lose has MUCH more leeway with their deficit. To imply that a deficit of 700 works the same for someone who is obese and someone who is near a healthy BMI is simply irresponsible and patently incorrect.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Why do you have to eat the extra calories you burn? Isn't that the point, to get rid of them??

Many people have this question. It has to do with how MFP is designed. It works differently than most counters/plans in that it creates a built in deficit based on your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. This allows you to lose weight whether you exercise or not. So if you don't eat those cals, you make your deficit larger than you (presumably) intended, which is usually unhealthy and unsustainable. A larger deficit does not necessarily result in faster/more weight loss; it usually results in feelings of deprivation, binges, giving up and weight regain.

Might help to read this thread that explains how MFP gets the numbers it gives you. :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ellie, if I eat them all back I don't lose weight and If I dont eat any I don't feel well. I stick to about 1/2 or 1/3 depending on what my body tells me.

I also find that if I eat back ALL of my calories I don't lose weight and if I don't eat any of them back I feel yucky. I usually try to have around 200 or 300 calories left each day that I don't eat.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating my exercise calories because it just made no sense to me, "Diet and excercise" to lose weight but eat more ???? I hit a plateau for almost 2 weeks and finally tried the 'eat your exercise calorie' thing and it worked! I guess it is a blessing to be able to eat more if I'm hungry
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think it's a shame that MFP doesn't restrict the deficit options for those people who don't have a lot of weight to lose. On Jillian Michaels magic 700 cal deficit - interestingly it has been shown that people who lose weight following a 600cal deficit plan (yes, even morbidly obese people) are more likely to keep weight off than those that follow the old-school standard 1200cal diet. Let's face it, going from eating 3500 calories (for example to maintain an obese body) to eating even 2000 calories is not exactly a healthy and logical adjustment. If you think about it, it's essentially a crash diet - dropping to about half your usual caloric intake. Changing a few things at a time and losing the weight slowly while actually making true lifestyle changes is the best way to achieve long term success.