anyone a runner who thought they would never run for life?

Options
2»

Replies

• marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had never been able to run. Even as a kid I struggled to run, not due to weight, I was skinny then. Both my kids have problems running as well so I thought it would never happen.

About a year and a half ago I decided to run the last minute just to see if I could, and I did it. Over the next year I increased the minutes and the number of runs in my treadmill walk until I could run for 30 mins and do 4.5km. I have been able to do this for about 5 months now but have been too scared to run outside.

This week I plucked up courage to run outside. I did a trail near me around a dam that is 5.3km. I didn't think I would run it all but I did and in a time of 38mins which is faster than I run on the treadmill and I actually enjoyed it.

So now I am a runner and I can't imagine not running.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner. Have tried several times. This time is different. I have been doing the jog/walk also. I have seen a few training programs for 5k's. They each seem to have some recommendation of walk/run. The one I saw from the Mayo clinic emphasized the rest day in between. I have been doing it for several weeks now and getting the running time more and more each day. Still struggling with trying to force myself to rest every other day, but I realize it is important to let the muscles rest. So I'm trying to do strength training on my rest days.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I was one of those people that thought they'd never run for life! I used to be HORRIBLE at it. My side would hurt from running just a little bit from the time I was in grade school to the time I was in high school. I tried running on and off and still had the side problem or would get winded. Last summer that all changed. I did P90X, Insanity and then decided I was going to try running again. Well guess what? I went from being the girl who couldn't run to the girl who did her first half marathon last month :) Have faith in yourself you can do it :)
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for all your support!Your achievements are really inspiring ! Thank you for sharing :)