AFC Half Marathon

Options
Hey guys,

so I just signed up for San Diego's AFC 1/2 marathon-which will be my FIRST EVER half!!!! :-D

It is on August 21st, so I have plenty of time to train.....as of right now I can run between 5 and 6 miles comfortably, so it shouldn't be *too* hard to build up to 13 over the next few months.....

I guess what I need to know is if anyone has any tips? I have read marathon runners talking about gels and chews and I have NO idea what they are, and if they are even necessary for a half marathon. Also, what should I be eating for breakfast before my longer runs? Something with complex carbs, like oatmeal? Or something with protein, like an egg white omolette?

I hate sounding clueless because I am usually the go-to girl for my friends when it comes to health and fitness but when it comes to long, sustained runs, I have no idea how I am suppose to be fueling myself. Helppppp!

Replies

• liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have any advice for you but I wanted to tell you good luck and happy training!
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I usually have a mini bagel with peanut butter before my long runs or a banana before a shorter run. I also eat the same immediately following the run.

I don't use gel because I don't like the feel or flavor of it. I usually use Shot Blox, made by Clif. You can find them at any grocery store, usually in the health food aisle. I eat two of the blocks (5 or 6 in a pack) every 45 minutes to an hour.

Good luck on your half!
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    Long run breakfast should be quick digesting carbs about 2 hrs before. Some popular choices include toast with honey, bagels w peanut butter, oatmeal, or cereal.
  • Inkedsquid
    Inkedsquid Posts: 42
    Options
    Sadly, I don't have any advice for you but I wanted to tell you good luck and happy training!

Thank you!!!

I'm definitely liking the sound of a bagel with peanut butter.....yummmm. :)

I love Clif bars, are the Shot Blox pretty similar in flavor?
  • mektnf04
    mektnf04 Posts: 22
    Options
    So I ran my first half marathon last Sunday and I did not eat anything the morning of. I was drained by the end of the run. I could barely finish, but I ran the whole thing. I had run 10-12 miles 3 other times around my house and never felt that bad...I recommend trying things on your long runs and sticking to what works best for the half. I also tried one of the gel packs about 11 miles into the run and it was AWFUL and I regretted it until the next water station. It was apple cinnamon flavored glue basically, and my mouth was very dry from it. I was really dragging at that point and I didn't want to walk so I tried it...might try stuff out before the day of the run, I learned that the hard way. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you finish so good luck and have fun!!!
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Shot Blox are a soft, easy digestible gummy. They come in about 10 (maybe more) flavors. They don't don't taste anything like Cliff Bars.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in February with all the commotion and adreneline, the time will actually fly by for you. I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, works perfectly. I also take Sport Beans with caffine made by Jelly Belly. I think i took about 1/2 pack every 5k distance during the race. I don't like the taste and texture of the gels, however that's all my husband likes. Also, the BEST advice i ever, ever, ever, got was regarding "tummy trouble" and the nervousness you feel right before you run. This person told me if I get nervous and feel like i need to run to the bathroom all morning long before the race then take Immodium AD the night before. I ended up taking one the night before and one in the morning as soon as I woke up. Not bathroom problems for me.
  • Inkedsquid
    Inkedsquid Posts: 42
    Options
    Wow that's pretty good advice, thanks!!! I'm thinking in between the adrenaline and my ipod, the time will probably go by pretty quickly. I've tried the sport beans, they aren't bad! Any thoughts on water vs G2 during the run?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Answers to many of your questions will mostly have to be worked out on your long runs. What works for some, doesn't work for others.
    You just have to see how your body reacts.
    My run down is a cliff bar before a long run, sometimes an additional slice of dry toast for really long runs. I am fine with gels, Gu or Powerade ones, but certain flavors taste better than others.
    I can't drink gatorade during a race, it makes me sick.
    Running a half, you probably would only take one gel, maybe 2.
    Good luck!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    So I ran my first half marathon last Sunday and I did not eat anything the morning of. I was drained by the end of the run. I could barely finish, but I ran the whole thing. I had run 10-12 miles 3 other times around my house and never felt that bad...I recommend trying things on your long runs and sticking to what works best for the half. I also tried one of the gel packs about 11 miles into the run and it was AWFUL and I regretted it until the next water station. It was apple cinnamon flavored glue basically, and my mouth was very dry from it. I was really dragging at that point and I didn't want to walk so I tried it...might try stuff out before the day of the run, I learned that the hard way. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you finish so good luck and have fun!!!

Gels are best taken with lots of water. Otherwise, they are a bellybomb for me. Like Rybo said, experiment during your long training runs to see what works for you, and stick with something tried and true for race day.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    I did my first half (cross country) in April and had porridge for breakfast (oatmeal) and took water for the race. I packed in my pack some Jelly Babies (candy) and they gave me a boost - you could use jelly beans as a similar alternative.

To be honest between now and August as you increase your mileage you'll know what works for you and when you need a energy top up and its best to trial these things in training and not on the big day. Every body is different and every race is different.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Wow that's pretty good advice, thanks!!! I'm thinking in between the adrenaline and my ipod, the time will probably go by pretty quickly. I've tried the sport beans, they aren't bad! Any thoughts on water vs G2 during the run?
    I mainly just had water, I only had a few cups of gatorade and didn't have any issues with it. I just have to chew gum when I run (to keep my throat moist and keep from gagging) so the kind of gum I chew tastes really nasty with gatorade.