What are you?

Options

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Predominantly Dutch and Irish with a little Heinz 57 thrown in.
  • LonelyPilgrim
    LonelyPilgrim Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    German, English, and ... Colorado-ian (my grandmother was born in a little mud-roof prairie house Colorado and said she never thought to inquire as to what nationality they were.. they were just from Colorado!)

Also, we used to be Swedish (when my other set of grandparents used to lie about their ethnicity as they were ashamed to be German during the war):ohwell:
  • brknllama
    brknllama Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Someone just wrote on my profile telling me what nationality they were.

What nationality are you?

I am German, Dutch, Polish, and i have Indian in me(dont laugh at the last one......its true!)

Those are all i know:)

How about you?
    I'm scottish, irish, english, german, and i also have some eastern indian in me
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mostly Irish. A little Scottish, English and Welsh. Possibly some French and Italian. Three of my grandparents were from Ireland. One grandfather was a mixture of a few nationalities including Irish.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Mexican and Filipino

hence the username.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly know for sure lol... Italian, German, Scot, maybe a few other European nationalities, plus a little bit Native American (Cherokee).
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I am adopted and didnt know what I was until I finally got to meet my biological parents a few years back. Dutch and French!
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    75% German
    25% Irish

100% COLORADOan
    ColoradoFlag-RoundButtonSmiley.jpg
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    mexican and filipino, although im not trilingual. lol
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    mexican and filipino, although im not trilingual. lol

Neither am I. Wish I was. One of my life's regrets. :frown:
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian and Scottish! :)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Venetian father, English mother (of Norman descent), which makes me a bit of a mongrel really....but a cultured one, nonetheless! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    My mother is French, my dad is Italian, but from the north so I guess the old part of the family come from Austria.
    But I'm still French as hell, born and raised. I don't feel Italian at all. Nor Austrian.

I don't really feel very British, despite living in the UK for most of my life!
    That's what I don't really understand in America... How can you call yourself Italian when you've never set a foot there?

Campanilismo! Well, almost! It's all about keeping the culture alive. What about Chinese people living in America? Are they any less Chinese because they've never set foot in China? Are British Indians any less Indian because they've been raised in the UK? Just because we find ourselves scattered across the world, it doesn't mean we lose our cultural identity! :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am British. Except my family have quite a lot of Welsh, some Scottish, some German, some Gypsy, and some African and Asian way back. My oldest son was born with Mongolian Blue Spot which is normally only seen in Asian babies. He also had brown skin and completely black eyes, and looked totally Indian. It gave us quite a surprise as both my husband and I are white and pale skinned (ish). My mother is very dark, though, everyone thinks she's north African. Somehow my son got the weird throwback genes. Everyone assumes he's half Indian or Japanese. He's extremely beautiful.

So I never quite know where to say I am from. I am a cocktail. I guess most of us are.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My mother is French, my dad is Italian, but from the north so I guess the old part of the family come from Austria.
    But I'm still French as hell, born and raised. I don't feel Italian at all. Nor Austrian.

I don't really feel very British, despite living in the UK for most of my life!
    That's what I don't really understand in America... How can you call yourself Italian when you've never set a foot there?

Campanilismo! Well, almost! It's all about keeping the culture alive. What about Chinese people living in America? Are they any less Chinese because they've never set foot in China? Are British Indians any less Indian because they've been raised in the UK? Just because we find ourselves scattered across the world, it doesn't mean we lose our cultural identity! :smile:

Most of the "Indian" British people I know completely count themselves as British, and have no desire to visit India or have anything to do with the culture. It probably depends how far back your family moved over. I imagine first and second generation the "home" culture is still pretty strong, but if your family have been somewhere for 100 years, your culture is where you were born. I know plenty of people with Italian or Dutch or Spanish parents living in the UK, who consider themselves completely British/English and don't even speak their parents' language. I think the cultural identity thing is a lot stronger in the States than it is over here.
  • ales1979
    ales1979 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm very Britton I'm afraid! Lots of Celt/ pictish (Scottish, Welsh, Irish) with a bit of English thrown in too!
  • percussionbeat
    percussionbeat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Half Chinese, half Thai :) Can't speak either really well though..i'm pretty much monolingual in English :)
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I know what the OP was getting at but I find the question itself very 'American':laugh: When I lived in the US 20 years ago I met a a few people who to me were 'American' but when asked would always describe themselves as Irish. They were from New York with NY accents and so were their parents. I think maybe Grandpa was actual Irish, but when asked the teenagers always said 'Irish' and I always found it a bit amusing as some of them had never even been to Ireland for a vacation. By all means be proud of your culture and keep it alive but to actually call yourself Irish when you are not is a bit daft, eh? I realise that 'American' as a description (same as 'British') covers every colour and background but it is an accurate description of nationality.

To me, your nationality is where you *personally * (not your Dad or Grandma) are from or have moved to permanently and gained residency. So my black/ Indian/ whatever students who are born and bred in Liverpool are 'Scousers' first, then British/ English and that's how they see themselves. They are very proud of their Caribbean/ Indian heritage and other cultural aspects but when asked will describe themselves as British or English. So those kids from 20 years ago should have said 'American, but my family are from Ireland.' I know I'm being pedantic!!

So I'm English ( although I may keep quiet about that sometimes depending on whether the Prime Minister is doing a good job or not....!) but my heritage is a mix of Danish, Irish, Welsh and Spanish. I guess the Viking won through as I'm a pale redhead and not a Spanish beauty :tongue: My sister, who now lives in Canada, would describe herself as British but when her papers are finalised I think she might switch to 'Canadian'.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    I know what the OP was getting at but I find the question itself very 'American':laugh: When I lived in the US 20 years ago I met a a few people who to me were 'American' but when asked would always describe themselves as Irish. They were from New York with NY accents and so were their parents. I think maybe Grandpa was actual Irish, but when asked the teenagers always said 'Irish' and I always found it a bit amusing as some of them had never even been to Ireland for a vacation. By all means be proud of your culture and keep it alive but to actually call yourself Irish when you are not is a bit daft, eh? I realise that 'American' as a description (same as 'British') covers every colour and background but it is an accurate description of nationality.

I actually didn't realize until I moved from the States to Canada that Americans tend to switch the meaning of "nationality" and "ethnicity" - I would have worded it the same way until 10 years ago.

So, nationality-wise, I am American (still a citizen) and Canadian (working on the paperwork for citizenship, but currently a Perm. Res.), and my heritage is approximately 62.5% German, 25% Irish, and 12.5% Welsh.

I'm also English by marriage. ;)
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Italian (Rome and Calabria) and German ancestors from my mom's side and

Italian (Sicily and Alba Adriatica) and French ancestors from my dad's side.