The BURN After Exercising

Options
Yeah, I was also wondering if anyone had tips for me in regard to the aching of muscles following a good exercise.

I change up my exercise, daily, according to how I feel that day or what I would like to do. It makes "having" to exercise less boring and helps me to stick with it. This afternoon, I did a really great aerobic/cardio workout and I'm absolutely uncomfortable. Does this mean I did a good job? Or does it mean that I overdid? - I enjoyed it while I was doing it, and felt great about it afterward. Felt like I really burned those calories!

Aspercream? What do I do to make me more comfortable? Icyhot? Nothing? If I exercise, ever, on burning/achy muscles is that a no-no?

My questions probably sound idiotic, but I'm clueless.

Replies

• soshotout
    soshotout Posts: 115
    Options
    I've done some type of cardio every day this week ~ except for today. I feel like I've been hit by a truck and my shoulder is just killing me. I sure hope there are no calories in Ibuprofen, 'cause I'm sure I'd be done for the day just from them! lol

Heat seems to help, however a lot of people say to ice sore muscles (to reduce swelling).

I don't know the answers to your questions, but will be sticking around the thread to see what others have to say!

Nice to 'meet' you, Carrie!

Have a good one!
    Carrie <--- Yup, me too!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say. When I was growing up I always heard "No pain, No gain" and that's what I go by but people change their mind so much on here it's hard for me too say.
  • gimmeyt
    gimmeyt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have taken ice baths and they work awesome. Its freezing for the first few minutes but man does it work. You can google it on how to do it. Sounds crazy but it works.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    There is a good ache from a workout which is called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) which is not a bad thing. It means you have worked your muscles hard or in a way that they have not been worked before. It is caused primarily by the small micro trauma done to the muscle by working out, and will result in the muscle being stronger.

Burn is usually used to speak of a burning like sensation in the muscles you are using while you are actually working out which is a result of the things produced by the metabolism of the muscle while you are working out. These natural products of the muscle burning its energy will build up during an intense period of exercise causing that burning sensation. This also is a good thing.

Very sharp pain that is very localized is often not good and may indicate an injury of some sort.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I've done some type of cardio every day this week ~ except for today. I feel like I've been hit by a truck and my shoulder is just killing me. I sure hope there are no calories in Ibuprofen, 'cause I'm sure I'd be done for the day just from them! lol

Heat seems to help, however a lot of people say to ice sore muscles (to reduce swelling).

I don't know the answers to your questions, but will be sticking around the thread to see what others have to say!

Nice to 'meet' you, Carrie!

Have a good one!
    Carrie <--- Yup, me too!

Think it's sugar coated, I tend to just swallow so don't notice
  • MELOZZA
    MELOZZA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are going to ice a muscle do it straight after excercising, after 24hrs you should be using heat to stimulate blood flow to muscles so aiding recovery. becareful with ibuprofen it can stop the absorbsion of salts causing dehydration. DOMS is generally good caused by micro tears in the muscle fibres, your body will repair these making them stronger and you fitter.