trying to decide when to STOP...

Options
okay guys and gals,

i am really close to my goal weight of 120lbs. i have been getting a lot of comments like "you should probably stop losing weight” and "gee you're pretty slim already" ... but i don't feel that way. i still feel like i have a big tummy and hips, and huge thighs.

sooooo that's where you honest and friendly folks come in. here are the links to my photos: (WARNING undies, despite being modest)

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/Tamstar1985/IMG_2018.jpg (front of me)
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/Tamstar1985/IMG_2022.jpg (side of me)

(sorry that i am not smiling, it was 4am...)

all i can see are my "trouble areas". i want to hear someone else's opinion. should i lose more weight? i had recently been considering changing my goal weight to 118lbs, since that was the weight i felt comfortable in. (let me insert here that i have a very very slight bone frame) should i just go for toning and fat loss?

i am sort of lost at this point. i am losing weight quite slowly, and have recently started calorie cycling to get my metabolism hopping, if you will :) i strength train pretty heavily, do lots of cardio... well, you can check out my food/exercise diaries if you like.

pretty much i am thinking... where do i go from here?

hugs and kisses and many thanks,
tamara

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! :D

I dont think theres any need at all for you to continue to lose weight now. If your still unhappy you could target these areas through exercise rather than just dropping weight! Thats where I went wrong. I got to 118 and thought hmmmm Ill keep going... I got down to 103 and alarm bells went off and now Im trying to get back to 118! lol xx
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! :D

I dont think theres any need at all for you to continue to lose weight now. If your still unhappy you could target these areas through exercise rather than just dropping weight! Thats where I went wrong. I got to 118 and thought hmmmm Ill keep going... I got down to 103 and alarm bells went off and now Im trying to get back to 118! lol xx

REALLY good point. i don't want this weight loss thing to become a game of getting to the lower numbers, like what happened when i was in high school.

and thank you for the compliment :) i am juggling sooooo many options, and i could go into so many directions, healthy and otherwise, and i really DO wanna chose the most comfortable and most livable path.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose fat, the only way you can improve your body now is with strength training and you say you're already doing that heavily.

I'd discuss it with a trainer at your gym, and see whether they can change your program (maybe heavier weights, few reps) to help give you a body you'll be happy with. :)
  • megruder
    megruder Posts: 216
    Options
    I think you look just fine. I agree with schnarfo... I would focus more on gaining muscle mass and losing body fat than weight loss. Congratulations with your weight loss! Can't wait until I to get to these dilemmas.
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    Hi Tamara, firstly a HUGE well done for getting where you are, I am in awe! I had a look at your photos, I would say you look amazing! I certainly don't think you need to lose anything from your tummy or hips, speaking as a fellow thigh weight carrier I can understand you wanting to tone your thighs some more (but really, it's only a tiny bit more and I imagine the only person who would ever notice it is you, but that is important!), but I think it's going to be very hard! I imagine cycling and/or running will be the thing to finally hit that but in all honesty I don't think you need to aim at much more weight loss without potentially becoming underweight. Well done!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i agree, you look great, if your still concious, try to tone and shred fat for muscle now :)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    numbers on a scale are exactly that... just numbers on a scale. :) dont get caught up with them! you look fab.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    You look great! You certainly don't NEED to lose more weight but if you're not happy then maybe just do some toning work? That'll tighten up anything you're not happy with without you looking scrawny!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    u dont need to loose anymore, just work on the toning and well done:smile:
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think you may be a little on the "too-slim" side, but you look great. I would not try to lose any more weight or fat, try focusing on making your body a stronger machine.
  • Tamstar1985
    Options
    i appreciate everyone's feedback IMMENSELY. i definitely do not want to look scrawy >_<;;;;; i think i have a lot of reflecting to do.
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey Tam,

I think you look fine....

Hugs
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    i appreciate everyone's feedback IMMENSELY. i definitely do not want to look scrawy >_<;;;;; i think i have a lot of reflecting to do.
    I agree with the others, focus on muscle gaining, not weight loss.

Food for thought:
    My personal experience:
    I am only 5'2" and my "lowest healthy weight" on the chart is 102, so I thought I'd try to get there. I got to 103 and looked so WEAK and scrawny and bony. SO I started eating 1600-1800 calories a day and weight lifting. Now I weigh 108 and still wear the same size 1 jeans I did at 103 and look and feel better in them thanks to some muscle tone.
    It's not about the number on the scale, it's about your body's composition. If I can gain a few more pounds of muscle I will be thrilled, even though the number on the scale will have gone up. My measurements will be the same or less!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd say you'd be good to stop. Tone up maybe, instead of dropping more? You look great!
  • lisa20pounds
    Options
    how tall are you, how much did you weigh when you began, and how long did it take to reach your goal weight? i am also curious if our ate our recommended calories, plus making up exercise calories everyday.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think you should concentrate on toning now rather than losing more weight. I dont think you need to lose anymore as you look slim already.
  • Tamstar1985
    Options
    how tall are you, how much did you weigh when you began, and how long did it take to reach your goal weight? i am also curious if our ate our recommended calories, plus making up exercise calories everyday.

I am 5'7" :) started off at 136lbs, and it took me about 70 days to lose 12lbs. I saw rapid weight loss in the past six weeks, which I attest to eating back exercise cals and NETTING about 1200 cals per day. Upped my cals recently and still seeing results.