Running in the wind???

Jbli
Jbli Posts: 11 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
So I am somewhat new to running. Did it 9 years ago, longest 8 miles, then had three boys and only went maybe 5 if that. Started up with longer distances again after my third, by training for a 1/2 marathon. Did my first in December in VEGAS. Now get to do my second one on Sunday in GREEN BAY at LAMBEAU FIELD. Rain looks like it will stay away...all week looked like it was going to be present. So I was psyched and had my ziplock baggie all ready for the ipod.

Checked this AM and weather forecast looks like instead we have 25 - 30 mile possible winds. :huh: Looking for how to embrace that one. Any tips welcome.

:)

Replies

• gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Congrats! Sounds like you are doing fantastic!!
    My tip would be to cover your ears!!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Checked this AM and weather forecast looks like instead we have 25 - 30 mile possible winds. :huh: Looking for how to embrace that one. Any tips welcome.
    Depends on the wind direction, running into the wind could be tough, but if you're going to be running with the wind at your back, it's going to be a help rather than a hindrance! :)

Not sure about temperatures where you are though, a 25mph wind here in England can be bitterly cold, even in May.
  • Heh! Best advice is run with your back to the wind :D

Seriously, from one runner to another, recommend tying hair back tight and just going for it. Not sure how strong 30mph winds are and if I've ever run in strong winds. I used to run over a local bridge in winter and that could be buffeted by strong wind. I remember someone from my old running club saying that he loved running into the wind because it was extra resistance training.

Gauge how strong it looks before you go out, then dress up accordingly. Don't be afraid to step outside and have a feel before you decide. Though as it's May, it could still be quite warm, so if you're dressing in long clothes aim for light and white so you don't overheat, and avoid anything that covers the whole head.

Hope you enjoy! Now, time for me to go shower after my own running adventure this morning!

Peace out, Bronski
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    I have the same here where I live on a road straight to the beach a mile away, and the prevailing wind blows straight down from the sea - you have to grit your teeth, get your head down and tough it out. It may mean you will be less likely to achieve a personal best time...
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Hi,

I have just checked the course and it is in a circle, with few extra turns.

You will have some wind for and some against.

Don't fight it on the first part of the race or it will leave you sapped. In the last section (depending on your strength) you can push against it as you are closer to the end.

Wear clothes with vent and zips so that you can manage your temperature. It looks like the run is in a built up area so the wind will cool you down in some spots. But if you can then zip up you can feel more comfortable.

I wear a buff on my head, it can be easily taken off and wrap around a wrist when you get warmer. As the poster above it is good to keep ears and head worm.

Take your fluids on as per plan even if you feel cooler. The wind will dry you out.

Plan to have some warm and wind proof clothes ready at the finish to avoid catching a bug and help your recovery... it does sounds like you are a keen runner and you don't want down time! ;-)

Best of luck and let us know how it went!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I know that many runners dislike running in the wind, although I really don't mind it. I have a great little wind vest that I bought years ago which keeps me comfy on very windy runs. It's basically solid in the front, full zip, and mesh below the shoulders in the back. Love it!
This discussion has been closed.