Polar FT4 - New Battery?

Options
My HRM (Polar FT4) has been messing up a bit lately not showing my HR, with a reading of 0 most of the time and sometimes stopping on a ridiculous reading like 200+ before changing to 0. Today I haven't been able to get it working for longer than about 5 mins before it stops again.
I've had the problem before within the past few weeks but usually with a bit of changing it around and more water etc etc it gets working again eventually and most days it works fine without needing to even do this. I've never had to go without it at all until today.

Has anyone else had this problem and do you think it could be in need of a new battery? I've had it since November and used it most days since then from 20 mins to 2 hours. I heard the battery could last 2 years of an hours usage every day :/

Heidi

Replies

• Skydemon53
    Skydemon53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you take the transmitter off the "belt" when you are done with your workout? I believe if it's still connected it uses power. I've only had my Polar for a week, so can't suggest more than that.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Someone even told me they put their chest strap in the wash.
    According to the instructions on mine, you must rinse it under the tap after every use, and put it in the washing machine with a non-bleaching detergent every five uses.

Soap leaves a residue, I'd be wary of using that to wash the strap in the long term.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Couple of things. Where are you working out with your HRM? Mine does the same when I am working out at home. Too many electrical things around that interferes with it.

Not sure about the FT4 but on most of the polar ones if the battery is going on the watch the battery symbol comes on. You do need to keep your chest strap clean! and always disconect the transmitter from the belt - as Skydemon53 said it will drain the chest strap battery.

Some of the polar chest straps you can put in the washing machine (no conditioner tho!) AND NOT the transmitter!

Try and workout somewhere outside to test it (although not near a mobile phone mast as that will interfere with some of them!!!)

Hope this helps
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice :)

I don't usually take the transmitter off between workouts so it may have used the power, but I've never had a battery symbol showing on the watch before. I'll buy a spare battery soon to test out though if it's having problems again just in case.
    I rinse it occaisionally after a workout but have never put it in the wash, I'm too wary off ruining it :/ I'll have to find the leaflet it came with about that, or just give it extra good handwashes every time, hopefully that will start to get it working again. In the past the odd extra rinse has helped a bit, just today nothing works.

Heidi
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I'm the sort of geek who reads manuals from cover to cover so hopefully I can give you the information you need. :)
    I don't usually take the transmitter off between workouts so it may have used the power
    Yes, it will have drained the battery quicker. From the FT4 user manual:

"Detach the connector from the strap when you are not using it to maximize the transmitter lifetime."
    I've never had a battery symbol showing on the watch before.
    If the symbol is showing, you have 10 - 15% of the battery left.
    I rinse it occaisionally after a workout but have never put it in the wash, I'm too wary off ruining it :/
    Far from ruining it, the manual clearly states that machine washing maximises the life of the strap. From the user manual:

"WearLink transmitter: Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse the strap under running
    water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel
    wool or cleaning chemicals)."

"Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures
    reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak,
    spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put
    the transmitter connector in the washing machine or drier!"

"Dry and store the strap and the transmitter connector separately. Wash the strap in a washing machine
    before long-term storage and always after use in pool water with high chlorine content."
    I'll have to find the leaflet it came with about that
    The FT4 manual is online on the Polar website:

http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/Polar_FT4_user_manual_EN.pdf

EDITED TO FIX QUOTES - We really REALLY need a post preview feature on here!

Hope all that helps. :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm the sort of geek who reads manuals from cover to cover so hopefully I can give you the information you need. :)
    I don't usually take the transmitter off between workouts so it may have used the power
    Yes, it will have drained the battery quicker. From the FT4 user manual:

"Detach the connector from the strap when you are not using it to maximize the transmitter lifetime."
    I've never had a battery symbol showing on the watch before.
    If the symbol is showing, you have 10 - 15% of the battery left.
    I rinse it occaisionally after a workout but have never put it in the wash, I'm too wary off ruining it :/
    Far from ruining it, the manual clearly states that machine washing maximises the life of the strap. From the user manual:

"WearLink transmitter: Detach the transmitter connector from the strap and rinse the strap under running
    water after every use. Dry the connector with a soft towel. Never use alcohol or any abrasive material (steel
    wool or cleaning chemicals)."

"Wash the strap regularly in a washing machine at 40ºC/104ºF or at least after every fifth use. This ensures
    reliable measurement and maximizes the life span of the transmitter. Use a washing pouch. Do not soak,
    spin-dry, iron, dry clean or bleach the strap. Do not use detergent with bleach or fabric softener. Never put
    the transmitter connector in the washing machine or drier!"

"Dry and store the strap and the transmitter connector separately. Wash the strap in a washing machine
    before long-term storage and always after use in pool water with high chlorine content."
    I'll have to find the leaflet it came with about that
    The FT4 manual is online on the Polar website:

http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/Polar_FT4_user_manual_EN.pdf

EDITED TO FIX QUOTES - We really REALLY need a post preview feature on here!

Hope all that helps. :)

Thank you :) That helps so much!
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am having the same issues with mine!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I began having the same issues with my Polar FT7. Sporadic readings or 00 heart rate.
    I have always washed mine in the shower with me but maybe I'll try the washing machine. I've already replaced both batteries thinking that might be the issue, so if this doesn't work I guess I need to replace jus the strap.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Thats interesting how it says to put the strap in the washing machine and then later it says "never put the strap in the washing machine"

Thats what is says on my instructions...But I may of read it incorrectly as it could be referring to the transmitter.