The secret of *your* success?

Options

Replies

• 1490jls
    1490jls Posts: 1
    Options
    Good read for tips to keep going, but i go to the gym 3-4 times a week, work as a hairdresser so always busy , not a chocolate fan, dont drink fizzy drinks and limit meself to one take away a week .. and ive put on weight, gone from 8,7 to 9st, its really getting me down , my fitness app makes sure i dont snack on crap cause it soon builds up but im getting no where
  • ambalam
    ambalam Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that successful this time around (just starting out again). But I swear on my life, water is AMAZING!!! This is the first wk ever in my life that I've drank 64 oz + of water daily. I feel so energized. I love Vitamin B complex. That alone makes me focused, happy, and energetic. In the past, keeping track of everything I eat. I love the mfp app on my phone. My problem is I get discouraged way too easily. After a wk of eating junk, I'm gone for a yr. NOT THIS TIME!
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I've given up breads, pasta and all that junk.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options

Sticking with a 1,200 calorie in-take each day, I switched to eating almost half of my calories at breakfast (the most important meal of the day). Then I spread the remaining calories out between lunch, supper and 3 daily snacks. The first 3 weeks of following this new routine, I lost 10 lbs. That wasn't supposed to be an easy feat since I'm on the last few pounds to reach my overall goal. I was at 141.2 and after 3 weeks I was at 130.8. Today, I am at 128.8 and working on the last 3.8 pounds. :)

What are you usually eating?
    I could have written the above...I am mother of two also, Currently 133 looking to get to 120. I just moved to a 1,200 cal a day diet from Atkins/low carb to see if that helps lose the last pounds. Thanks !
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Finding a level of caloric intake I'm comfortable with, then finding a way to accomplish that, that I could keep up for the rest of my life and sticking to that. Oh, all that and MFP of course!
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Water and exercise. I really try to stay away from sugar and carbs but fail miserably some days.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    In December of this year I had decided that it was time to accept that I would be this weight, and body shape for the rest of my life (heredity) A month ago, when I got out my spring capris, and they were all tight, I decided it was time to not be accepting and comfortable in this body, but to fight because life is worth more than accepting an unhealthy lifestyle.

1, determination
    2, "Just say NO" to temptation.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Mine has been make healty choices as often as possible, but to allow myself to make unhealthy choices sometimes. I love to spend time with my friends, have an occassional drink and love a mean cheeseburger, and that's ok, as long as it is the expection not the rule. I follow an 80/20 rule, I try to be really good 80% of the time and enjoy the heck out of the other 20%. That balance has helped me to be successful.

Also, exercise. It allows for some extra calories and it just makes me feel better. But I have a very busy life, and living at the gym and working out all the time is not an option for me. I have learned that consistently exercising for even a half hour is really helping me. I have to keep working harder during that time as I get in better shape.
  • milanks
    milanks Posts: 122
    Options
    Patience!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If I crave something, I wait 10 minutes, and then eat it if I still want it. Or else I end up binging, and then giving in to the craving anyway
  • SparkleKittie
    SparkleKittie Posts: 127
    Options
    Determination

Yes. And saying to yourself "NO EXCUSES"
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Failure.

Helped me refine what I do to get best results.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I think my commitment and determination to see this happen are the two biggest things for me. Also treating myself like my own best friend ;)
  • tabbids
    tabbids Posts: 4
    Options
    Using MFP, over and over I've heard the "secret" to losing weight AND keeping it OFF is to keep track of everything you eat..always. It's why weight watchers works -- I'm too cheap to pay for that & don't like "points", it's easier to find calorie counts.
    Also exercise, do something you LIKE doing, you don't have to love it, but if you don't at least like it, you won't want to do it. Take it one bite at a time, every small decision you make about what you eat makes a difference. I feel so much healthier eating more fruits, vegetables and a LOT less sugar/ junk. Make it easy to make the right choices, keep low calorie snacks around, fresh veg/fruit. I have to remind myself I didn't put this weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight..it's a process.

I am thinking about adding a protein shake...any thoughts??

6994619.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Tankplanker
    Tankplanker Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of protein shakes, would be expensive and hard to hit my calories and keep carbs and fast down.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was in an accident, and ave been laid up fr two years, the last six months on bed rest. Not leaving my house except once a week for an hour.
    I want to live again!
    I want to come back after two years, much better than I was.
    Determination!
    Failure is not an option(Seriously, it's just not a saying)
    I will lost 40Lbs, I will be better than I was.

More protein, less carbohydrates(50% protein, 30% carbs)
    Water, no vodka(Until I lose 40 lbs)
    Exercise 6 days a week.
    Record honestly EVERYTHING I eat. (1600 calories a day)

Good luck!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    working out every day no matter how i feel, watching and recording EVERYTHING that I eat, kind and supportive words from others and also givng out those kind and supportive words as well. every day is a struggle..but im gonna keep on pushing through...that is what i tell myself...good luck to you!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Lowering my calories, balanced meals and exercise.
    Before losing weight, I was eating way too much, too many carbs not enough good fats or proteins, and did not exercise at all. I had to really educate myself in how much food my body needed, I was fooled, thinking that as long as something was healthy, I could it as much as I wanted of it
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I love this post, sharing what worked for you is so much more valuable in my opinion than just telling others what they should do. It allows the reader to take what they want out of it without feeling scolded or guilty for making different choices. I love reading what has helped others be successful, more ideas for me!

This is what is currently working for me, I had to figure out the right calorie intake for me, it wasn't the 1200 I was originally given here. It is easier for me to give stuff up than try to limit it so I gave up a bunch of stuff I knew would keep me from reaching my goals. I drink water almost exclusively, with the exception of my morning black coffee and some white or herbal tea once in awhile.

I eat as few processed foods as I can and I keep my sodium around 1500mg per day, I really notice a difference on days I go over that too much. I eat breakfast every day and also eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day. I try to not eat within an hour or two of bedtime. I have my carb/protein/fat set to 40/30/30 right now.

Foods I try to eat daily: Greek yogurt, almonds or walnuts, berries, turkey or chicken breast, vegetables. I also try to get some fish at least once or twice a week. Sushi is my preference!

Things I could do better: Eat more veggies!

Exercise: My focus right now is C25K and I do that every other day. On off days I sometimes walk but I haven't done much else. I'd like to add in some strength training soon but have just been lazy I guess lol