Eat only fruit, vegetables, and lean protein

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Oh yeah forgot to mention I eat nuts so I get my fat from nuts and I eat beans so get alot of protein there.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    I planned to eat lean protein, Will add whole grains in a week or so. fat free milk But will be eating full fat cheese because I have it on hand, Fruits and olive oil. fruits at least once a day lots of vggies
    Dinner tonight grilled chicken green beans and a salad tea
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    I'm actually excited about it because I think it'll be a nice change and hopefully "confuse" my body and kick it into weight loss mode again. But it's going to be tough because I eat a good amount of fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, egg whites, Luna bars...

All this to ask...

Do any of you eat this way already? What are the challenges? Any advice you have for me to make this week successful is greatly appreciated!

I'm not suggesting you don't do this. It's great that you're excited about it. Assuming you get the appropriate amount of nutrients, there's no reason not to do it. Yay for whole foods! However...

Your body isn't going to be confused. Any "kicking in" of weight loss mode would be due to an decrease in caloric intake. Remember that weight loss is not linear. As you get closer to your goal weight, and depending on what BF% you're at. your weight loss will slow down. That's completely expected. Eventually you'll want to decrease your deficit (ie increase your intake) too.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    You need a carb source that isn't simply sugars from the fruit, they are simple sugars too so you'll feel full from the fiber and cellulose but the sugar will burn quickly, it's not a steady carb source.Throw in some grains and I think this is actually a decent diet.
  • DebTavares
    DebTavares Posts: 170 Member
    Make sure you are getting enough fat cause if you don't you will likely feel like hell in no time.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    As long as you count every calorie, you will lose weight regardless of what kind of food it is. If you go over your calories, you will gain weight, regardless of what type of food.it is.
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    You need a carb source that isn't simply sugars from the fruit, they are simple sugars too so you'll feel full from the fiber and cellulose but the sugar will burn quickly, it's not a steady carb source.Throw in some grains and I think this is actually a decent diet.

You don't need a carb source like grains. Yes, you need some glucose, but the amount your body will get from the fruits and vegetables and high protein will be plenty.
  • lmr9 wrote: »
    Since January I've been participating a boot camp class 5 days/week, and it's fantastic! I've seen wonderful results getting toned up and losing fat - lost 20 lbs, 6% body fat, and many inches during that time. Right now my weight is lower than it has ever been in my adult life (actually I weigh less now than I did in junior high!). I have 3 more pounds to get to my original goal, but I think I'm going to change that and add on another 10 pounds to my goal. However, my weight loss has stalled the past two weeks - haven't gained, but stayed exactly the same.

So far our boot camp instructor has only instructed us on exercise and let us do our own thing on nutrition. So I've been following the MFP plan (I tweaked it a bit to lower the carbs and increase protein), but now she has challenged us on a food challenge too -- interesting timing since I seem to have stalled out. Her challenge is to only eat veggies, fruit, and lean protein for one week. I'm actually excited about it because I think it'll be a nice change and hopefully "confuse" my body and kick it into weight loss mode again. But it's going to be tough because I eat a good amount of fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, egg whites, Luna bars...

All this to ask...

Do any of you eat this way already? What are the challenges? Any advice you have for me to make this week successful is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and making MFP awesome!!! :flowerforyou:

Hey flowerforyou! I think that your boot camp instructor has the right idea! You'll certainly continue to cut fat with a diet like that. I've experimented quite a but with different approaches to diet and the one that has proven itself as most ideal at this point in time for me is exactly that.

That being said, I recently experimented with a meat and veggie ONLY diet. That means not even any fruit was allowed. I slimmed up even more than I had been, but most importantly I had a diminishing of symptoms associated with certain conditions such as asthma that I've dealt with my entire life. I documented the whole experiment which lasted 16 days. It's certainly restrictive and I think you'll do just fine with including fruit, but if you're looking for something that might work a little faster, but will also be more restricting, give it a go.

Oh and I should mention I stuck to only cooked and/or juiced veggies in an effort to improve digestion. If you're curious you can read all about my experience on the blogger page I created for it: http://meatandvegetablediet.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps!

-Rob
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Grokette wrote: »
    For those of you who already eat like this, what do you have your daily carb/protein/fat percentages set to?

Carb / Protein / Fat
    10% 30% 60%
    *text deleted*

This sounds fine, but would not meet the requirement as described in the OP. Eating only vegetables, fruit and lean meats would not include added fat. It would be hard to get 60% fat without added fat or dairy and including only lean meat.

OP, did the instructor give any instructions regarding fat? Are nuts and seeds considered "vegetables" for this diet? Or is this meant to be 5 days on a low fat diet?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    I'm actually excited about it because I think it'll be a nice change and hopefully "confuse" my body and kick it into weight loss mode again. But it's going to be tough because I eat a good amount of fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, egg whites, Luna bars...

All this to ask...

I'm not suggesting you don't do this. It's great that you're excited about it. Assuming you get the appropriate amount of nutrients, there's no reason not to do it. Yay for whole foods! However...

Your body isn't going to be confused. Any "kicking in" of weight loss mode would be due to an decrease in caloric intake. Remember that weight loss is not linear. As you get closer to your goal weight, and depending on what BF% you're at. your weight loss will slow down. That's completely expected. Eventually you'll want to decrease your deficit (ie increase your intake) too.

Belaboring this point...

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited October 2014

You don't need a carb source like grains. Yes, you need some glucose, but the amount your body will get from the fruits and vegetables and high protein will be plenty.

You ONLY need to eat enough protein that your body needs. High protein diets are irrelevant, as the body will only take what it needs, and breaks the rest down into glucose via gluconeogenesis. So, essentially, protein is glucose past a certain point, and then your proportions become irrelevant.

My proportions are 75-80% Fat, 10-15% protein, and 10-5% carbs (from veggies, or food that has trace amounts).

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    For those of you who already eat like this, what do you have your daily carb/protein/fat percentages set to?

Carb / Protein / Fat
    10% 30% 60%
    *text deleted*

This sounds fine, but would not meet the requirement as described in the OP. Eating only vegetables, fruit and lean meats would not include added fat. It would be hard to get 60% fat without added fat or dairy and including only lean meat.

OP, did the instructor give any instructions regarding fat? Are nuts and seeds considered "vegetables" for this diet? Or is this meant to be 5 days on a low fat diet?

I would assert myself that if it is a "boot camp" instructor, any amounts of fat above either carbs or protein is "bad", especially if it comes from animal sources (because, you know...saturated fat is the devil and will assuredly kill you).
    -signed, guy who eats almost a pound of bacon each day

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Carb / Protein / Fat
    10% 30% 60%
    *text deleted*

I would assert myself that if it is a "boot camp" instructor, any amounts of fat above either carbs or protein is "bad", especially if it comes from animal sources (because, you know...saturated fat is the devil and will assuredly kill you).
    -signed, guy who eats almost a pound of bacon each day

This is kind of along the same thoughts I had (minus the saturated fat remarks). I figured since it was only 5 days it was probably meant to be low fat, since fat has the most calories per gram.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    lmr9 wrote: »
    Her challenge is to only eat veggies, fruit, and lean protein for one week. I'm actually excited about it because I think it'll be a nice change and hopefully "confuse" my body and kick it into weight loss mode again. But it's going to be tough because I eat a good amount of fat free greek yogurt, lowfat cheese, whole wheat pasta, oatmeal, egg whites, Luna bars...

Veggies, fruit, and "lean" protein are great, and perfectly fine for a 5 day thing, but for the long-term I would question the omission of your yogurt, cheese, pasta, oatmeal, eggs, etc. Those are all good things, used appropriately. If those are things you love, there is no shame in implementing them into your diet.

Another thing that's been mentioned but I want to mention again is that you don't want to skimp on your fat intake. This sounds like a "low-fat" kind of diet, so if you extend it beyond your week or whatever, bring in some more fat sources (aka "non-lean" protein). Carbs are basically "optional" in the diet and will take care of themselves, but you actually need to get fats.

Another thing is that, although eating veggies, fruit, and lean protein is a great idea, it's not automatically going to kick your body into weight loss mode. "Weight loss mode" is a calorie deficit. You can obtain a deficit while you're eating any type of food. And it's entirely possible to eat at a surplus with only fruit, veggies, and lean protein, especially if you can eat like me. So just make sure you keep track of your calories to gauge the results.

I'd personally encourage you to drop the idea of "confusing" your body into anything. There aren't really any hacks or shortcuts worth pursuing. It just takes some diligence in the sometimes boring task of accounting for your calories in/out.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    If you plan on eating a diet like this long-term, you might want to track calcium to make sure you are getting enough from non-dairy sources.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »

All this to ask...

Belaboring this point...

This.
  • Robby131313
    Robby131313 Posts: 9
    edited October 2014
    That's a good point Need2Exerc1se! I personally would add the fats for the most part using coconut oil (which has sooooo many benefits and is very efficiently utilized for energy), olive oil, some pastured/"grass-fed" butter, or even macadamia oil. I would avoid most other nut and seed oils due to the high Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratios which can be inflammatory.

Nuts and seeds would help as well, but a lot of people can have some issues with digesting nuts and seeds and/or allergies to them. If not then as long as they don't make up the majority of calories the person should beok with them. They are kind of two sided in their nutritional benefit as they are nutrient dense, supplying a lot of vitamins and minerals, however also contain a lot of phytic acid (an "anti-nutrient") which can inhibit the gut's ability to properly absorb certain nutrients. And for me the copper-zinc ratio is much higher than what I would consider ideal anyway.

That being said, I do include both nuts and seeds in my diet here and there, but try to keep them to a minimum. You can always improve their ability to be digested and utilized by methods such as soaking and drying them to remove the phytic acid.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    I hope you fit some fatty foods in there like avocado, olive oil, etc. Fat is hugely important in proper organ and hormonal functions.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    zombie.jpg